Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find auto/trans case breathers

Hi Everyone

Sorry to bring this up again but I have read every thread I could find regarding extending the auto transmission & transfer case breathers, but I can't find them. I have just spent 2 hours buried in the engine bay and crawling underneath, and all I have to show is lots of skin off my forearm.

According to other posters, I should be able to find 2 pipes (a 4mm & an 8mm?) side by side, sticking up on top of the bell housing, accessible from the driver's side of the engine bay. Perhaps my hands & arms aren't small enough but I cannot feel anything that resembles 2 breather pipes.

I have also tried from underneath the right side of the transmission but all I can find is a small black plastic block attached to a bracket, with a small and larger hose attached, but I cannot get my hands far enough above the transmission to track down where they go. The left side appears to be even less accessible than the right.

Is extending these breathers achievable for someone with large hands and arms, or should I give up and take it to an expert? (Time is running out - we leave Friday on our outback trip.) If so, any recommendations for a reliable fitter, preferably on Brisbane's north side?

The diffs are taken care of and this is now the last remaining mod to be done.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Ross
    05 NP GLX DiD Auto, ARB Steel Bar, TJM Sump & Transmission Guards, Lovells/Bilsteins - mild lift, Airtec Snorkel, Extended Breathers, GME TX3420 UHF, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, ARB Dual Battery Tray/Redarc Isolator, Milford Cargo Barrier, Bridgestone D697 LT's

Mine is NM 3.5l, not sure if your is at the same place. On mine you cannot see the breathers, you can see only the bracket that holds them. The bracket is on drivers side and sits right on the top of the transmission. I needed to remove the bracket first to get to them. Have a look at the pics.
    Attached Files
    (SOLD) 2001 NM Exceed 3.5L Petrol, Injected LPG, 2" Lift Lovells HD Springs & Shocks, Polyair Bags, Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 (265/75/16), Dual Battery System, TRV4x4 Snorkel, F/R Diff+Tranny+Transfer Case Breathers, Engel Fridge/Freezer 40L, Homemade Rear Storage+Bed, Rhino Roof Racks+Basket, OEM Alloy Bullbar, Side Steps, Towbar, Fog Lights, Rear Work Light, UHF Handheld Radio Puxing PX-888+UHF Antenna RFI CD900, Nobles RIG-MATE Creeper Winch, Exhaust Jack, X-Trax II, TomTom XL 340 with Hema Maps

Comment

Thanks Hama

That looks like the bracket I was referring to. Do you remove the 2 existing hoses from this bracket and then join the new extended hoses to these hoses, or are the breather pipes behind the brackets and you have to connect the new hoses directly to the pipes?

Cheers
      Ross
      05 NP GLX DiD Auto, ARB Steel Bar, TJM Sump & Transmission Guards, Lovells/Bilsteins - mild lift, Airtec Snorkel, Extended Breathers, GME TX3420 UHF, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, ARB Dual Battery Tray/Redarc Isolator, Milford Cargo Barrier, Bridgestone D697 LT's

Comment

Nah, just remove the bracket and leave the existing hoses so you can connect the new ones to them. Here is a pic of one ( 4mm ), the 8 mm one is a bit hard to get to.

Cheers
        Attached Files
        (SOLD) 2001 NM Exceed 3.5L Petrol, Injected LPG, 2" Lift Lovells HD Springs & Shocks, Polyair Bags, Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 (265/75/16), Dual Battery System, TRV4x4 Snorkel, F/R Diff+Tranny+Transfer Case Breathers, Engel Fridge/Freezer 40L, Homemade Rear Storage+Bed, Rhino Roof Racks+Basket, OEM Alloy Bullbar, Side Steps, Towbar, Fog Lights, Rear Work Light, UHF Handheld Radio Puxing PX-888+UHF Antenna RFI CD900, Nobles RIG-MATE Creeper Winch, Exhaust Jack, X-Trax II, TomTom XL 340 with Hema Maps

Comment

Thanks mate

I'll check it out first thing in the morning. Looks like it won't be too hard after all.

Cheers
          Ross

Comment

Working...
          X