3.2 diesel engine knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.2 diesel engine knock

Hi I,m hoping someone might have come across this problem I have a Pajero NM 2002 with a 3.2 DiD motor
    which has done 232,000 ks & has developed a knock or rattle at start up which promptly goes away when the engine actually starts. There is no problem starting & the motor runs fine however after it is warm & you turn off the engine & then restart the rattle or knock is louder @ start up & again once the engine has fired it goes away. I was concerned it might be the timing chain however a call to Mitsubishi dispelled this as they say it is not on the required service replacement list and should last the life of the motor. The reason i am posting this is i have taken it to a authorised dealer & they didn't seem to think it was a problem then I took it to a mechanical engineer and he removed the covers & radiator to check the crankshaft pully which was not loose (some speculation that it may be the cause) the noise is there when you turn the pully by hand you can hear a tap. The next step is probably stripping down the motor which will be very costly.
    Does anyone have any thoughts before I get to this stage.

Good to see someone else with an 02 DiD with roughly the same high kays... Ours was only loud when we had 15w-40 rimula X oil in it for a short while.
    Back to stealer magnatec 5w-something synthetic its quieter again. considering the high km's that the motor might like slightly thicker oil, but nope.

Comment

Not Castrol - run...

If your using an oil with the wrong additive package - the DiD runs poorly particularly at startup.

Make sure the oil is 15-40 CD or better (upto CI), B3/4 or E3/4/5 and has a JASO additive package.

I am currently trying DELO 400 in the 3.2L DiD (due to limited oil selection when I changed it last) - so far so good. Quiet at startup, runs/revs smooth. Saying that - I would not use any other Caltex product (including fuel).
      --
      Marquis
      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback. The DiD has always been a noisy motor however lately, although i don't know for how long because it's crept up on me, is that when the motor is cold it starts up ok however when the motor is hot & you turn it off & then restart it really rattles on the initial start for probably a second or two, this may not sound much but (to my amusement, warped sense of humour) sometimes if someone is walking past it will make them jump when she fires up.
        I will try using a thicker oil as it makes sense, when hot it loses some of its viscosity however i hope it is not masking an impending problem.
        By the way I'm currently using Valvoline Super diesel 15w-40

Cheers

Comment

maybe piston slap.. try a 50w oil
          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
            maybe piston slap.. try a 50w oil
            did you mean 15W-50? as in the Penrite diesel oil
            or 50W- X0 where x = 6 or 7? as in the runny mud oil :-)

Comment

[QUOTE=Martin;218]the noise is there when you turn the pully by hand you can hear a tap.

Hi Martin, Are you referring to the crank pulley? If so roughly how many degrees are you turning it by ? Normally you can't turn a DID with injectors and glow plugs installed. If you can turn by a few degress in any direction it indicate a loose or worn crank pulley key , or lets not go there a cracked crank, both will cause a knock.
              Cheers
              Muzza
              Muzza
              2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
              2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
              2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

I agree with marquis , stay away from Castrol products.The only people (in the automotive trade) who like the stuff is people who sell it.
                2007 NS VRX PAJERO Di-D , AUTO , FAMILY PACK , HD TOW PACK

Comment

[QUOTE=Muzza;399]
                  Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  the noise is there when you turn the pully by hand you can hear a tap.

Hi Martin, Are you referring to the crank pulley? If so roughly how many degrees are you turning it by ? Normally you can't turn a DID with injectors and glow plugs installed. If you can turn by a few degress in any direction it indicate a loose or worn crank pulley key , or lets not go there a cracked crank, both will cause a knock.
                  Cheers
                  Muzza
                  In reply i should of said that we removed the belts & radiator to get a look at the crank pully & see if the pin was worn & therefore loose however it looks ok it was only then that with the socket wrench on the nut that you could move the crank a little. Our next thought is that the one of the bearings might be one the way out, we are now looking to take to a diesel expert to get another opinion before attempting to get access from underneath and try to inspect which will still cost a bit in time.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by WALLYBURGER View Post
                    I agree with marquis , stay away from Castrol products.The only people (in the automotive trade) who like the stuff is people who sell it.
                    I have used Castrol products for a hell of a long time, Magnatec, RX Super, HTB and LMM greases etc, etc and can say that I have never had a problem, or heard of anybody having one using it. Seems like the only people who don't like the stuff are people not in the automotive trade.

Comment

I agree with Para Ordnance, Castrol is a good product.
                      I have used Castrol oils for over a decade without a problem.
                      I've used Castrol Formular R Synthetic 10w-60 (now called Castrol Edge) for 11years in our Volkswagon since the first oil change at 1500kms and now have 212 000kms on the clock. The engine is like new, it does'nt blow smoke or use oil and gets the same economy as it did 11 years ago
                      I also used to use Castrol A747 two stroke oil when racing GP bikes many years ago and have never had a problem with that oil either, but many other people using other brands of oil did.
                      I have been using Castrol GTX 3 in my 4stroke outboards, (you must use a mineral base oil in them) for 7years and I have not had any problems either.

Sandgroper.
                      NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

Castrol is very noisy in the DiD and the dies (you can hear it go off) at 7 to 8 thousand km's.

Done 8.5k with Delo 400 sounds as good as the day I put it in.
                        --
                        Marquis
                        SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X