Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP cargo space

Hi,
    I'm looking at purchasing an NP diesel from around 2004/2005. One of my big reasons for wanting to replace my 2001 pathfinder is cargo space ... but having had a close look at a 2005 Platinum edition NP today I'm a little concerned.
    The 2nd row seats seem to recline to 3 different positions and the most reclined position certainly eats into the usable cargo area in the back. Are the cargo barriers for this model generally made to fit behind the most reclined position of the 2nd row seats? Or perhaps they are adjustable?

Other than that the car was a pleasant surprise in terms of power and handling.
    My shortlist is NP diesel, Prado petrol or Landcruiser V8 all from about 2004/2005 which all sell for about $40k.

I think you will find they have more reclining positions than three. The cargo barriers fit behind the seats in a mostly upright position. We have no problem piling enough gear for a family of 5 in ours, although we do use racks for big trips. And dont forget that when you remove the third row seats you have another 100 liters of space in the floor.

Pat
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
      We have no problem piling enough gear for a family of 5 in ours, although we do use racks for big trips. And dont forget that when you remove the third row seats you have another 100 liters of space in the floor.
      Have moved on from racks to a trailer. With the barrier in place you can carry a lot though.

These might give you a better idea.

One tip. Get the jack and wheel brace out before you start packing. Put the brace behind the middle row seats and put the jack under one of the front ones. Been there, done that
      Attached Files
      Peter
      2018 Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Landrover Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

I've just ripped the second row of seats out for an upcoming trip - TONNES of space!
        Ben

Comment

Thanks for the info and the excellent pictures.
          Yes, I knew about the extra under-floor space with the 3rd row seats taken out ... will probably be great for storing water in a bladder.
          It looks like the cargo barrier does indeed sit behind the 2nd row seats with the seats in a fairly upright position (good!).... which now has me wondering if there'll be space between the front and 2nd row seats for a full-sized rear-facing car seat for a baby.
          I don't suppose someone could measure the distance between the two seats (with front seat in reasonable half-forward position) ? I did do some rough measurements the other day and it looked like 600mm or so which was too short (need 700mm)... but maybe the 2nd row seats were too upright or the front seat too far back.

Comment

I make it about 650mm between rear seat and driver's with the driver's seat all the way back.

Horizontal measure taken level at front edge of rear seat.
            Take the seat into where you're considering buying from and see if it fits would probably be the safest course.
            Peter
            2018 Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Landrover Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

Originally posted by chisel View Post
              .... which now has me wondering if there'll be space between the front and 2nd row seats for a full-sized rear-facing car seat for a baby.
              There is plenty of room for a rear-facing baby/child car seat, with the barrier installed behind the 2nd row. I have only just turned our baby seat around to forward facing, but there was ample space previously. I have the Milford dual position barrier installed, the 2nd row seats are slightly reclined, and I drive with the driver's seat all that way back (I'm 6'2" and need the leg room).

The only hassle that I have found with the Paj is that the forward-facing baby seat doesn't fit neatly in the centre, due to the rigidity of the seatbelt buckles. It sits with about a 2-3" bias towards the driver's side of the car...just means if you have additional passengers, put the skinny one behind the driver!
              Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
              Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
              Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

Many thanks everyone!
                Looks like I've got no worries really. Just need to get out and buy one of these suckers!!
                Possibly should be in another thread ... but is there anything I should look for that might indicate a hard life? Are these pajeros prone to rust in any particular spot?

Comment

Hi,

I have an NM with Milford barrier.

I was fiddling with the back seat adjustments and there are roughly 5 different recline settings. I have found the most reclined is great for passengers, but leans the barrier back slightly, cutting into cargo space.

That being said, this is where the cargo barrier guy fitted it (quite logically).

What I have done is made up ~140mm extensions for the top straps. What this has done is give me ~100-120mm extra cargo space, meaning my fridge, drawers etc all move back and really makes the boot feel bigger.

I just got some steel from bunnings, decent bolts +nylocks etc.

Back passengers still have a reasonable recline position, but I don't have people in the back too often, however I fill my boot all the time...

Final bonus is now my camping table slides in perfectly upright alongside my fridge, it used to not fit by about 3cm!

James
                  2010 NT Active diesel.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X