Gen 3 Suspension Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 Suspension Upgrades

There were some really useful discussion threads on the old forum relating to the topic of upgrading a Gen 3 Pajero's supension, but it seems the old forum is no longer accesible. I am rather interested in lifting the suspension on my car soon and the original shocks are also getting a little tired, so maybe we could start a new thread here. Points to ponder (and that would really help me to clarify my thoughts ) might include:
    1. What actually determines the wheel travel on a Gen 3? I am of the opinion that the upward (bump) travel is limited by bump stops on the lower wishbone at the front and the upper wishbone at the rear and that the downward (droop/rebound) travel is limted by the shock absorbers (yes I know that the anti roll bars are quite restrictive in a cross axled situation, but if both wheels om an axle are free to droop I think the shocks will arrest the motion).
    2. Are there any after market shock absorbers that have a longer extended length than the standard ones? If I understand the Gen 3 suspension correctly fitting shocks with a greater open length would be the only way to increase wheel travel and would be beneficial when lifting the suspension via longer coils (to reclaim lost rebound travel)
    3. Which of the host of aftermarket suspension suppliers (OME, Ironman, Tough Dog, Formula 4x4, Lovells, etc.) do you favour and why?
    That ought to start things off...
    2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T (with rear diff lock)
    1999 Patrol 4.5 GRX LWB M/T

Lovells + Bilstein struts/shocks + Fitting/Wheel alignment
    $400 + $900 + $150-200
    (approx prices)

If you are travelling with full weight or a bit more then add polysprings to the rear.
    Fuel - 80kg
    2 People - 200kg
    Water - 80kg
    Fridge - 35kg (60L full of food)
    Main Bag - 15kg
    Aux Bags - 20kg
    Compressor - 5kg
    Tools - 10kg
    Proper Jack - 5kg
    Electrical Equipment - 10kg
    Smartbar - 10kg
    Roof Rack + Equipment - 80kg
    Cooking Equipment/Table/Chairs - 10kg
    Food box - 8kg
    Tent + Bedding - 30kg
    Side Steps - 20kg
    Dual Batt - 25kg
    645kg

Aux Tank + Fuel - 110kg
    755kg

Soon adds up!
    Last edited by marquis; 13-07-07, 10:18 AM. Reason: Added weights
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

The shocks are what limit the travel front and rear. If you wanted more travel all you would have to do is switch to coil overs with some longer travel all the way around. It would be a little work but it could be done. And then if you were gonna get some more travel outta the stock control arms then you would need to get some CVs that have a increased operating angle compared to the stockers.

Again thats doable too. Something even more trick that I have been toying with is building completely new control arms and extending the width that way, which would also increase the travel. Lots o work though. It would be pretty cool and unique to see a long travel IFS/IRS Paj.

I have been tossing a bunch of ideas around and these are just a few but hey....since we are talking about the Gen 3's suspension, why not.

Overall I am happy with my OME Heavy duty front an rear. It has worked well and I cant complain about it.
      Last edited by icysyrup; 13-07-07, 11:59 AM.
      03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

marquis,
        what made you go for the Lovells/Bilstein combo? Do you have the raised or raised heavy duty springs?

icysyrup,
        it certainly would be really cool to modify the suspension for coil-overs or extra long control arms, but it is a little further than I want to go right now. Please keep us posted if you go this way, though. Something less drastic that should be beneficial to cross-axle articulation would be to disconnect the front and rear anti-roll bars. I wonder if one could engineer a quick disconnect...

Another scheme that I have wondered about is to fit air bags inside the rear coils and then to plumb them into a valve block that allows the bags to be isolated from one another for on-highway use and connected to one another for off-road use. In the off-road configuration it would mean that the air bags would not contribute to rear roll stiffness. The up-going wheel will force the wheel on the other side down, which seems useful off-road. What do you think?

Comment

Does anyone know whether longer shocks (i.e. shocks with a longer open length) are available to fit the standard suspension on the Gen3?

As far as I can ascertain, the Bilsteins for the Gen 3 (BE5-6271 at the front and BE5-6272 at the rear) are the same length as standard. Does anyone know whether the Ironman, OME or Tough Dog shocks are longer than standard?

For that matter, has anyone measured the open and closed lengths of the standard shocks from the center of the bottom mounting eyes to the shoulder on the stem at the top?

Has anyone measured any of the aftermarket shocks as above?

Comment

I have ran without both front and rear swaybars now for a year or so. I do notice a difference when taking on ramps and stuff onto the highways but it helps a lot with articulation offroad. I thought about engineering a quick disconnect but it was just easier and more convenient to just take em off.

I know there was a post on the other forum about the length of the shocks extended and compressed but cant remember the numbers right now.
            03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

(For that matter, has anyone measured the open and closed lengths of the standard shocks from the center of the bottom mounting eyes to the shoulder on the stem at the top?)

I have measurements of original shocks if any help
              Front: eye to tip extended 560... compressed 423
              Rear: eye to tip extended 635 ... compressed 411

also on attachment is measurements from tip to mount
              Attached Files
              04 GLS Auto DID,ARB bar, Bilstein/Lovells,stedi 240 w light bar, DPchip, Cargo Barrier, dual batts, etc

Comment

I have the Extra HD Lovells springs with Bilsteins shocks and love it! Wish there was a little more wheel travel, but still with the TC it all works well.
                Ąđżą aka Adam
                2004 NP Pajero
                Bullbar, Towbar, Snorkel, ARB Compressor, BFG M/T, D/Lights, TJM Bash, Dual Battery, Tait UHF, AM CB, Waeco, Lovells, Billies, Barrier

Comment

I've the same setup as Adza. Lovell Extra HD springs and Bilsteins. After 126000ks they are still as good as teh day they were fitted. Brilliant.

Comment

Guys,

How do you both find the ride with the EHD when your cars are unladen?

Cheers
                    Alex

Comment

You do have a firmer ride when unladen but the handling, more direct steering and far less body roll when cornering give the car a far better feel, as well as being able to cope with the rough stuff carrying heavy loads. After having my last NM pajero suspension done after 2years of driving (and sagging in the rear end after towing etc.) i had the same suspension put on my NS after only having the car three days. It handles brilliantly. Rapt with the whole car.
                      Regards from Col.
                      NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

Originally posted by Aframe1967 View Post
                        Guys,

How do you both find the ride with the EHD when your cars are unladen?

Cheers
                        Alex
                        When I spoke to a few spring people, they advised not to get EHD because the ride would be too harsh when I didn't have it loaded.

A load of %#$%@#... it's fine... yes its harder than factory, but I expected it. It feels good, pulls around corners great... overall it's fantastic.
                        Ąđżą aka Adam
                        2004 NP Pajero
                        Bullbar, Towbar, Snorkel, ARB Compressor, BFG M/T, D/Lights, TJM Bash, Dual Battery, Tait UHF, AM CB, Waeco, Lovells, Billies, Barrier

Comment

I'm curious to know what droop is possible with factory suspension and then lifted say 50mm?
                          I guess the best place to measure would be between the bumpstop and what ever it hits against as this would be the same on all vehicles of the same
                          model. Does anyone know?
                          Cheers, Mitishi.
                          NM 2001 GLS Petrol.

Comment

Originally posted by Adza View Post
                            I have the Extra HD Lovells springs with Bilsteins shocks and love it! Wish there was a little more wheel travel, but still with the TC it all works well.

Hi Adza & Pdiddy

Can you please let me know what kind of lift in mm you got with the Lovell EHD springs and Bilsteins?

tony

Comment

I also have the Lovells/Bilsteins combo, I am more than happy with the overall height gain & comfort has not been compromised. Measure from the bottom lip of tyre rim to bottom of wheel arch before your lift.

This is how my Np Measured:Before, Front 705mm, Rear 740mm
                              After, Front 775mm, Rear 810mm
                              Still measures the same after 8000 Klms.
                              So far I have been through nearly all the tracks where I use to bottom out/scrape, & have no probs, but haven't had the trailer on yet, can not see that being a problem as the clearance is ample.

Very Happy with this lift combo, another great decision for my Paj.
                              Cheers Gary
                              Dual Battery
                              80Ltr Waeco
                              91Ltr Longrange Tank
                              3" Lovells/Bilstein
                              3” Exhaust
                              Winch
                              NP 05 DID

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...