Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone installed auto and TC breathers without dropping tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone installed auto and TC breathers without dropping tranny?

On my to do list since i bought the paj 2 years ago are breathers. I have read the thousand posts on here about breathers, but I can not see how the auto and tc breathers can be extended without dropping the tranny.

I even bought a cheap endoscope to 'scope' out whats going on down there and I cant even see them. Even if i knew where they were i dont see how a human hand can fit in there.

The only way i can see that it can be done is by dropping the tranny at the back and hoping that I can access them from the back.

Any tips before i undertake this brutal task? Would be great if as per the guides, I could just reach down the back of the engine from the engine bay, pop off the factory breathers and slide on some longer ones, but alas i cant see how it could be done that way.
    NM- 33.1's, 2" Lift, Tranny, diff and TC breathers, underbody protection

It can be done. I did mine but was quite a few years ago.........if I remember right I did it from underneath.
    02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

When I had the NM mine were done by TJM at Coffs Harbour and they sure as hell didn't drop the box to do it.
      Merv
      Merv. 2011 Dmax LSU auto Auto. Canopy and tow pack, Al. bull bar and winch, cargo drawers, dual battery, canopy racks with support bars, tub liner, in dash nav system, t.p.m.s. Tough dog 45mm lift and upgrade, uhf, Long Ranger fuel tank, MAL Powerchip
      Other toys:19' Jayco Starcraft o/b caravan, 4.75 mtr Quintrex Bay Hunter boat. 3.7 mtr tinny

I plan on living forever - so far so good

Comment

Did mine from underneath without dropping anything. It is possible to get a hand on top of the trans from underneath but it is tight (much swearing). I just added rubber tubes to the breathers that are already there using a plastic tube connector and ran them up onto the firewall.
        My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
        -------------------------------------------------------------
        MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

so basically just feel around from underneath, then jam rubber fuel hose over the valve, possible use a hose clamp and that's it?

How do you know if the breathers are breathing?

When you say you used a plastic tube connecter, do you mean you used the connecter to join the new breathers to the valve? or you used it to connect the TC and Auto breathers?

Thanks.

Comment

It's been a while since I did it, but I think the standard breathers attach to some sort of valve mounted on a bracket on top of the trans (can anyone confirm). I pulled the hoses off the valves and added a length of new hose to each one to get it to the firewall. I can't remember if I used some sort of joiner (as indicated in my original reply) or slid the new hose over the old, and I can't remember if I used hose clamps but I imagine it would be safer to do so. I also did both diffs at the same time (easy compared to the transmission and trans case), so I have 4 hoses mounted on the firewall.
            My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
            -------------------------------------------------------------
            MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

bump, going to attempt this again on the weekend

Comment

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=18109
                http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=25078
                02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

Check it out

Did a service and fixed a few things today, also scoped out the TC and tranny breathers. There is a small black box mounted to a bracket at the top of the tranny just before the torque converter that i think might be the breather valve. It has two hoses attached to it, one big strong one (tranny breather)? and one piss weak small one that goes back to the TC (TC Breather?) Check out the pics, does that seem right? I was thinking of just pulling or cutting them off, and adding a hose extension to each hose. Pics of the black box were taken with a tiny camera placed on top of the tranny

Also check out the pics of the rear axles where they join the diff, one is clean the other is grimy as, do you think its a companion shaft seal failure? How long would you guess it will last before it completely fails?

Thanks for any advice.

Christ it took me like an hour to get those pics to display properly

rear axle seal

Right hand side one looks fine
                  Last edited by e32lover; 16-11-13, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Yep that's the breathers all right. Both hoses just push in to that cover. From memory its just a cover; there's no valve under there. When I did mine I just used a "T" piece to join them (about 3/8" from memory) The larger line needs a tight cable tie to hold it on. Its fairly soft and squashes down quite easily. I then ran a single line out to join to the rear diff breather line with another "T" and then ran the combined single breather up into the engine bay.
                    The smaller line runs back to the Transfer case.

The pics of you rear axles look OK to me. There's no sign of wet oil anywhere. Asking when they might pop is like asking how long is a piece of string.
                    Cheers, John.
                    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

OK thanks heaps for the advice mrbishi, much appreciated. I thought I'd just run a separate hose for each component (rear diff, front diff, tc and tranny) just to make things a bit easier.

That is pretty poor if there is no valve at all in that black box. Hopefully my pics will help others find the breathers too.

I might just leave the diff seals for now, maybe a stupid question but is the replacement of the companion shaft seals a diff-out job? Ill prob just keep some diff oil and a hammer in the car for the time being and when it finally goes I should rebuild the diff too, as ive been noticing some metal filings in the diff oil but very minor.

Cheers.

Comment

No, you can do the seals in situ. Just have to take the companion shafts out.
                        Cheers, John.
                        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

did the tranny breather today, used a brass pipe joiner to connect the new hose to the standard breather. was tough doing up a hose clamp on the stock breather hose. I used high pressure fuel hose. I ran it along some hoses (I think they are part of the cooling system) (The fat hoses that you can see in the 1st pic), so hopefully the heat wont be an issue for my fuel hoses, and then up the AC lines and terminated the hose next to the brake unit with a fuel filter attached. The TC one should be pretty easy as there is heaps more hose to play with.

RE: The rear diff, is there anywhere local that would be a good place to run the line to or should I just run it up into the engine bay? The hose is so thin that im a little reluctant to run it so far

Also is there anyway to periodically check that the breathers aren't blocked?

Comment

you can get a 4 hose breather kit off ebay from memory,

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...ather&_sacat=0

but most here have been using something like..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BT-50-FOR...4992af7&_uhb=1

dont worry about the rear shafts till they pop..

a good idea is to take the vin number to mm and ask if the rear axels has been done.. you never know...
                            My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

I was looking at those breather kits before i opted for high pressure fuel hose, the problem is they are all the same size, so it is not really a "bolt on" kit at all. Hell of a lot cheaper though, but hose quality is probably nasty.

Also RE contacting mitsu, i dont know about that, I rang them about a year ago to find out if my car had had the HBB recall done, no one knew. They said that sort of info is kept by the dealers, the dealers said it is kept by mitsu.

I then went to call them again a few months back for some reason, and foun that MM Australia no longer has a phone number. All inquiries must be made through dealers. That must piss the dealers off so much, wasting so much of their time for no remuneration.

Talk about customer service!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X