Got a strange Gen 3 Montero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a strange Gen 3 Montero

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
    Recently got myself a 2005 Montero 3.8 v6 which has 80,000km on it. While I was in Australia I had a similar spec Pajero exceed with the same engine and transmission combination. My current vehicle has a strong smelling exhaust(smells like petrol) compared to the one I had back in Australia, I changed the spark plugs and had the vehicle tuned also cleaned the maf cleaned the injectors. The engine now starts more easily and idles better and fuel consumption has reduced from about 30lt/100km to around 25lt/100km, city driving with no extra loads. So I decided to check the oxygen sensors. To my surprise the vehicle had no oxygen sensors and it also did not have a catalytic converter(has a small muffler instead). When I checked the owners manual it mentioned that the vehicle could also run on leaded petrol.
    I would like to know if anything else can be done about the strong exhaust smell and the high petrol consumption.

thats at leats 10l more per hundred then you should be getting, bit of a lead foot?

how is the air filter and all the fuel hoses?
    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Not a lead foot but driving here in Sri Lanka leaves a lot to be desired a lot of start stop driving due to no lane discipline, animals, bullock carts, motorcycle morons and three wheelers thick headed bus drivers on the road .

The fuel system is good, however the air filter seems quite dusty, I did not change it after buying the vehicle, does a clogged air filter significantly reduce performance?

Comment

"does a clogged air filter significantly reduce performance?"
        Yes it does! What you have done so far is fine but you should renew the air filter as it could cause the symptoms you describe.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys will change the filter and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by ddg90 View Post
            Not a lead foot but driving here in Sri Lanka leaves a lot to be desired a lot of start stop driving due to no lane discipline, animals, bullock carts, motorcycle morons and three wheelers thick headed bus drivers on the road .

The fuel system is good, however the air filter seems quite dusty, I did not change it after buying the vehicle, does a clogged air filter significantly reduce performance?
            yes as stated,

air and fuel mix for a bang, not enough air to go forward for bang then the engine increase fuel so you go forward as normal.. a new filter will drop your economy to around 15~17l/100km

Comment

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
              yes as stated,

air and fuel mix for a bang, not enough air to go forward for bang then the engine increase fuel so you go forward as normal.. a new filter will drop your economy to around 15~17l/100km
              Also not enough air richer mixture - incomplete combustion - increased engine wear.

Comment

I changed the air filter cleaned the throttle body and the egr solenoid.
                Fuel efficiency has improved to about 16lt/100km I think the main reason was the filter the exhaust also does not smell like petrol anymore , very happy how the vehicle is performing now.
                Thanks for your kind help guys

Comment

happy

thats the fuel eco u should expect from the 3.8

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X