No gears at all....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No gears at all....

So for the first time i took the Paj up to Teewah on the weekend, mostly it performed like a trooper, except for a 5 minute period where the auto would not select any gear at all....after a quick boggy period in the dunes i pulled out on the beach to take it out of 4LLC and no matter what I did it wouldnt drop back in to drive. It took a few minutes of moving both the transfer/gear lever and a few gear crunching noises before it would go into drive. (shifter in the D position but no drive)The crunching noise didnt happen with every shift just once or twice as I was changing the transfer shifter.

That was early on the trip then after that it performed perfectly. Any ideas what would cause this?

to change out of 4llc you need to be in nuetral or park or it wont shift properly often leaving you in no mans land like you were.

you said you were in drive so would say that was your problem.
    Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
    Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Happened to me once. Trying to turn around off a very sandy track I had to climb rocks on the side. With not enough room to complete the maneuver it became more of a three point turn. To my horror it would not drive when reverse was selected. Taking it out of 4LLC I seemed to be in some sort of false neutral & trying to drive only produced a noise of spinning gears not meshing. Once my panic of thinking I'd done the gearbox in settled I realised that due to wind-up gears were not meshing. Luckily I was able to roll backwards down the rocks until the gears connected again and do the turn without 4LLC. Was not a fun time as we were on our own in a remote area & new to the Paj. Now I know better.
      MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
      Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png

Comment

Thanks guys...

Schnitzel, im pretty sure I had put in neutral when i took it out of 4LLC...but in the excitement that may not have happened the first time....but in the 5 minutes afterwoods i tried that a few times...come to think of it when I put it into 4LLC to begin with the 4 greens lights kept flashing and didnt go solid for what seemed like a 100 metres or so.

Wrexy, it was only in either 4HLC or 4LLC while on the sand...but from what you are describing it sounds like the same thing...the crunching happened a few times each time getting louder until there was a thud....and then i was off again....

What could cause that on the sand?

Comment

Originally posted by landau351 View Post
          Thanks guys...

Schnitzel, im pretty sure I had put in neutral when i took it out of 4LLC...but in the excitement that may not have happened the first time....but in the 5 minutes afterwoods i tried that a few times...come to think of it when I put it into 4LLC to begin with the 4 greens lights kept flashing and didnt go solid for what seemed like a 100 metres or so.

Wrexy, it was only in either 4HLC or 4LLC while on the sand...but from what you are describing it sounds like the same thing...the crunching happened a few times each time getting louder until there was a thud....and then i was off again....

What could cause that on the sand?
          ah sand, in the techniques section..

next time for sand

4H and stability control off, = much better ride and she runs beautifully... power is then 67% rear and 33% front. 4hlc and 4llc power ratio is 50/50, just remember each time you turn the motor off and then on you have to disable stability control as it re-engages.

only need 4hlc or 4llc for real steep stuff other than that she will eat the sand like clock work..

many on the forum have taken their paj thru the simpson desert on 4h all the way with only 4llc used for the hard bit of big red..
          My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Thanks for the advice Easy, although mine doesnt have the stability control.

Do the Pajeros get windup even on sand?...wouldnt have thought it would have been an issue.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Easy, although mine doesnt have the stability control.

Do the Pajeros get windup even on sand?...wouldnt have thought it would have been an issue.
              nope

just easier to drive the way i mentioned.

Comment

okeeeedokeee then...thanks for the headsup

Comment

okeeeedokeee then...thanks for the headsup
                  just used this in the big desert and little desert and no probs what so ever!!

Comment

you should only need 4 x 4 high not low when driving around Teewah. my son even drives his Forester all time 4 x 4 drive right around to Rainbow no bogging or dig outs as yet. use the power the pajero gives you and
                    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

I just returned from teewah the Friday prior. used 4H the whole time until it was time to come off the beach as it was my first time beach driving, and I was towing a camper.

The paj loved getting sand up and amongst all its bits.

Lachie

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys...only reason i tried 4llc was i was playing in the steep dunes...apart form that 4h most of the time cept for the cuttings and the boggy stuff.

Has anyone got any further ideas on the total loss of gears?..is it likely to be a sensor or a vacuum problem?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X