Loss of power. 3.5ltr V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of power. 3.5ltr V6

Changed the valve cover gaskets on Friday. Put everything back together to discover rough idle and loss of power.

The loss of power isn't really noticeable till 3rd gear. It cruises at 50kmph nicely in third but doesn't respond quickly if I put my foot down. At 60kmph going up hill I cannot speed up past about 67 till the incline flattens out.
    At 80kmph 4th gear struggles till about 90km. I can get to 110 in 4th but 5th with a flat foot fails to maintain 110

Pulled everything apart another 2 times and put it back together. Found and fixed one air leak on the throttle body. Rough idle barely noticeable after this. Loss of power not as bad.

I can hear air while my ear is directly over the intake manifold but I cannot not find a leak. Perhaps I'm just hearing things now after spending so much time listening. Iv replaced all gaskets and used sealant but cannot find a leak.
    Iv checked the leads by unplugging each lead while the car is idling. Every lead makes a noticeable difference when I unplug.

Iv tried spraying a solution over the intake manifold and throttle body looking for changes in the engine with no luck. Anyoe have any suggestions? Am I missing something?
    2002 NM GLS,
    ARB Bullbar, GME UHF, Narva 225s, 2" Lift (lovells) HD Front EHD Rear, Snorkel, Waeco CF50, ARB Awning, Rhino Racks, Pajero Club Stickers, Rear Aux Battery (Excide Stowaway ST27DC105), Maxtrax, Homemade roof basket, LED camp lights, Red Arc Low Coolant Alarm, Drop down table, Fishing Rod Holder, Rooftop Water Storage, Tigerz 11 winch, Bushskinz Bashplates, Rear Storage, Dual Tyre Carrier

faulty plugs? or

faulty coil pack

or faulty lead

the last one are easy to find, at night with no lights start the car up and open the bonnet. if you see any blue lines on the leads they are faulty, you shouldnt see anything.

the second last one, if reachable, disconnect the lead from the pack if the motor gets rougher put it back in and move onto the next one till it makes no difference than that is faulty pack.

you can also unbolt then and lift the pack off the plug to see if it idles rougher or not.. both can be done while the car is running.

wire not connected?

either

loose pipe.. thats all i can think off.

oh and the last thing are the leads connected in the right way? and your earth?

loose battery terminal? and have you checked your air filter and mass air flow sensor?
    Last edited by Easykill1978; 11-11-13, 09:55 PM.
    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

If you disconnect coils while the engine is running you stand a very good chance of damaging the ecm.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiteman View Post
        If you disconnect coils while the engine is running you stand a very good chance of damaging the ecm.
        err how?

the ecm will try too adjust after a period of time, a few seconds wont matter.. the knock sensor will report the change and then report normal operation and the ecm will do what it does.

no worse then loosing a spark plug (from failure).

its how, when i had a petrol i found my faulty coil pack, which did the same as described by the original poster.

ps. I got the method from a car sparky, only Hyundai v6 Terracans are too expensive to have the shop look at .. (most mr H garages wont work on them, hate working on them too.)
        My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Checked leads, coils all good. Leads are all in the right place and working. checked earth, battery terminal. all good. checked air filter and sensor, all good. reset ecu. still no improvement. I still think i can hear an air leak but can't find it if its there. might be time to head to the mechanics!
          2002 NM GLS,
          ARB Bullbar, GME UHF, Narva 225s, 2" Lift (lovells) HD Front EHD Rear, Snorkel, Waeco CF50, ARB Awning, Rhino Racks, Pajero Club Stickers, Rear Aux Battery (Excide Stowaway ST27DC105), Maxtrax, Homemade roof basket, LED camp lights, Red Arc Low Coolant Alarm, Drop down table, Fishing Rod Holder, Rooftop Water Storage, Tigerz 11 winch, Bushskinz Bashplates, Rear Storage, Dual Tyre Carrier

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X