More Turbo Boost Found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Turbo Boost Found!

After getting the New Turbo Actuator fitted to my NP DiD it came back with only 13psi max boost which someone rightly pointed out "Thats Too Low Dude, it should have around 18 psi" I rang the Boss from H T who said it was low but still OK, I said its driving well but I'm worried about when I'm towing up hills etc. He said I don't have any mechanical ajustment but I can use up to 5mm washers under the actuator to give it more preload which will delay the wastegate opening, so I've just finished the job and sure enough I now have 17psi and she's going like a Rocket again! He also said they recommend Turbosmart Boost Controllers but I didn't want to pay $100 plus on one. I bought a Turbosmart Gauge which was well worth the money.
    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

thats good news but its a good idea to fit a boost dial so you can run at say 13 and turn it up to say 17 when needed, i wouldn,t be running around with 17 psi all the time.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Awesome! It's nice when an annoying problem is fixed so simply.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate or lockup-mate now available for Pajero NS+, Triton MN,MQ, Challenger PB,PC, Prado 150

Comment

Im pretty sure they run 20psi max boost at stock
        with over 21psi reading an over boost error and cutting engine power temporarily
        My gauge will momentarily show 20psi when I'm pulling real hard up a hill.
        17psi is a daily occurrence for me when i put the foot down, i think these engines and turbos could handle a bit more honestly, if the ecu didn't restrict it

Comment

Turn it up

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
          thats good news but its a good idea to fit a boost dial so you can run at say 13 and turn it up to say 17 when needed, i wouldn,t be running around with 17 psi all the time.
          The Turbo only put out it's max boost, in my case 17psi when its going up a steep hill and I've got the right boot into it, drive slowly there is little to no boost at low RPM. I'm not sure what you mean?
          NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

I was a bit disappointing with my loss of kick that came with bigger tyres.

My mechanic put a little dial under the bonnet to boost the pressure but after fitting the snorkel, I kept getting the overboost error and loss of power, not a good situation to have when you pull out to overtake.

What gauges are people running to monitor/adjust boost on the fly?
            2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
            My build thread on the to do list

Comment

Boost and boos bleed are standard for a normal turbo if you want adjustment on the fly.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

On the fly boost controller

Originally posted by Rich0 View Post
                I was a bit disappointing with my loss of kick that came with bigger tyres.

My mechanic put a little dial under the bonnet to boost the pressure but after fitting the snorkel, I kept getting the overboost error and loss of power, not a good situation to have when you pull out to overtake.

What gauges are people running to monitor/adjust boost on the fly?
                I have only the Turbosmart boost gauge, but they do a Electronic Boost Controller which fits inside the vehicle that gives a digital read out and buttons to Up or Reduce the boost on the fly, it must have a Electronic Controller between the Actuator and Boost side of the Turbo, but they are about $400 - $600 bucks.

Comment

I have boost and exhaust temp gauges on my np 24-27 psi (1.7 bar) normal reading on the gauge depending on how cold it is , I read 27psi is standard, getting a steinbaer chip and dyno tune on Saturday I will be asking if they will increase the boost.

Comment

Originally posted by gezzer View Post
                    I have boost and exhaust temp gauges on my np 24-27 psi (1.7 bar) normal reading on the gauge depending on how cold it is , I read 27psi is standard, getting a steinbaer chip and dyno tune on Saturday I will be asking if they will increase the boost.
                    that gauge or sender must be off, according to the workshop manual max is 20psi and overboost alert is 21.....
                    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Boost Limit

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
                      that gauge or sender must be off, according to the workshop manual max is 20psi and overboost alert is 21.....
                      I Agree!, thats why I'm not going to try for any more than what I've got, 17/18 psi is enough for me. The Last Thing Any of us want on a Holiday with the Van 2,000km from home is a CEL!

Comment

Turbo boost

According to my workshop manual for a Pajero 3 4m41 motor, non commonrail.
                        Testing the actuator with pressure pump the shaft must start moving 1mm at 161kpa which is 1.6bar. Do not exceed 181kpa which is 1.8bar.
                        Therfore standard boost is 1.6bar.
                        25psi is 1.7bar in the middel of min and max. (regard as safe).

Comment

I use a 50mm diameter VDO pressure gauge (mechanical type) scaled to 30 psi. Tapped into the inlet manifold just behind the butterfly. I drilled and tapped 1/8" bsp thread for the fitting but only drilled a 1mm diameter hole right through the aluminium. I see 19psi maximum boost when the engine is under load at around 2600 rpm. Around 5-6 psi boost at 110Kmh on flat ground. Put the cruise control on and watch the boost mimic the lay of the land.
                          2004 NP Diesel, auto, GLS, white with silver trim. Kumho KL78 tyres, EGR system removed, upper rear lights connected, Rhino Rack Vortex RST, Engel MT60, Full River 120 AH AGM Deep Cycle, Enerdrive VSR, Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, HEMA HX-1, Airbag Man airbags, 2 stroke oil at 200:1.

Comment

Originally posted by k100dennis View Post
                            I use a 50mm diameter VDO pressure gauge (mechanical type) scaled to 30 psi. Tapped into the inlet manifold just behind the butterfly. I drilled and tapped 1/8" bsp thread for the fitting but only drilled a 1mm diameter hole right through the aluminium. I see 19psi maximum boost when the engine is under load at around 2600 rpm. Around 5-6 psi boost at 110Kmh on flat ground. Put the cruise control on and watch the boost mimic the lay of the land.

So you are no where near max boost for the waste gate to operate. Waste gate starts operating at 24 to 25 psi. You will determine max boost if you ride it harder than 2600 rpm.

Comment

Maximum boost is factory set at 19 psi I think. 21 psi will throw an over-boost alarm as I understand. I have only ever seen mine go to 19 psi, as I stated, around 2600 rpm under load. Any increase in engine revs after that and the boost actually falls away slightly, as it will because the turbo charger can't continue to maintain maximum intake pressure right to the end of the rev range. Check the performance curve for turbo chargers to get a full understanding.
                              2004 NP Diesel, auto, GLS, white with silver trim. Kumho KL78 tyres, EGR system removed, upper rear lights connected, Rhino Rack Vortex RST, Engel MT60, Full River 120 AH AGM Deep Cycle, Enerdrive VSR, Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, HEMA HX-1, Airbag Man airbags, 2 stroke oil at 200:1.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X