single din flipout v ddin ac relocate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single din flipout v ddin ac relocate

Factory stereo volume control is on the way out from turning it up to eleven for prodigy, ram, etc etc.

Weighing up single din flip and keep the ac controls and stacker insitu versus double din and ac relocate to where stacker is.

Does anyone have experience with flip out. Does it cover the useless cubby and part of the compas thingy?

Can the ac controls be ditched and the head unit used to control the ac? &

Looking for feedback from those that have relocated the ac on the ergonomics of having it lowand whether the other half provided any commentary for or against.

Cheers

I relocated my air con controls last week and installed a double din Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB, very happy with the results.

The stacker connects to the factory head unit with a uncommon connector so once the MM unit is gone, the stacker is useless. There is no point in keeping it.

The air con controls for the vents and temperature adjustments are mechanically operated so I doubt there is a unit that exists that can operate these for us.

To me, it looks great in the lower position, takes a few days to get used to but its second nature now.

It really depends on which type of head unit that suits your needs. You could install a pocket where the stacker is for more storage and a flip screen up top.
    For me I like the look of the double din units, they fit in well
    Last edited by gary-s; 16-11-13, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Have similar setup to above, but with climate control ac.
      No, a radio player wont control the ac. Theres a combination of electrical and air pipe control plugs on the back.

No issues operating the ac controls from the lower position where the cd stack was.

I'd go ddin, as the cd stack is useless anyway.
      Go single din if you want to use the stacker space for a CB or something.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate and NEW RELEASE auto-matePRO

Comment

Thanks looks like double din relocate ac is the go. I dont suppose there is room in the cubby for cb?

Comment

The fold out screen on a single din will cover the storage pocket and partially cover the clock/compass screen, however the screen doesnt need to be out to use it. You can open the screen, plug your ipod in and start a playlist. Close he screen again and the pocket and compass screen still useful. Also saves having to move a/c controls.

You can also pull the cd changer out and put the UHF radio in that space. This is what I will be doing (sans the UHF)
          Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Great job gary-s....looks great.
            Cheers Richie

06 np 3.2 DID pajero...arb bar..warn winch..tjm snorkel ..27" light bar..roof racks..rotronics dual batt system ..cargo barrier..tough dog suspension...km2 tyres.(265/75/16 )...60lt arb fridge and slide....arb awning..40lt water system...arb compressor..15" roof mounted tv/dvd..

Comment

I had a single DIN fold out unit and hated it. It stuck out from the dash and just looked wrong. When the mech broke after 2 years I replaced it with a generic double DIN and love it. Also great to be able to run Ozi on it as most of the chinese ones can. Relocating the AC was a bit of a mission on mine - the cables are just that bit too short. But it was worth the effort and the AC controls naturally fall to the hand just in front of the shifter.

Pat
              16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
              10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Originally posted by gary-s View Post
                I relocated my air con controls last week and installed a double din Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB, very happy with the results.

The stacker connects to the factory head unit with a uncommon connector so once the MM unit is gone, the stacker is useless. There is no point in keeping it.

The air con controls for the vents and temperature adjustments are mechanically operated so I doubt there is a unit that exists that can operate these for us.

To me, it looks great in the lower position, takes a few days to get used to but its second nature now.

It really depends on which type of head unit that suits your needs. You could install a pocket where the stacker is for more storage and a flip screen up top.
                For me I like the look of the double din units, they fit in well
                Hi Gary,

Start off by saying it looks great.

I looked at this unit today as I have a GLS, my question is, was it hard to move the vent controls down or was it pretty straight forward, also wiring in the unit was there a harness of plug and play or cutting and splicing?

Cheers
                PS on special for $401 at JB.
                Loving the PAJ
                |04 NP DiD GLS|Manual|ARB Bullbar|Lightforce lights|Dual Batteries|Snorkel|

Comment

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=19897
                  http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=7424

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=35231
                  2005 NP GLX Pajero 3.8L 5sp auto 198,000km

Comment

Thankyou.
                    Loving the PAJ

Comment

Originally posted by GC007 View Post
                      Hi Gary,

Start off by saying it looks great.

I looked at this unit today as I have a GLS, my question is, was it hard to move the vent controls down or was it pretty straight forward, also wiring in the unit was there a harness of plug and play or cutting and splicing?

Cheers
                      PS on special for $401 at JB.
                      Cheers!

I just followed those links, was a bit fiddly getting the controls out but once you figured it out, the rest was easy. For the headunit, I just bought a $16 Aerpro mitsubishi harness from supercheap and it just plugs straight in. You will need to revove the front grab handles and pillar covers to install the digital radio antenna and microphone for bluetooth handsfree but this was easy.

Another tip, once you have the mitsubishi stereo out, you will need to remove the mounting plate on each side and fit this to the pioneer then it will just slide straight in.

Im very happy with the pioneer unit, I have since installed 2 amps, pioneer type r slpits in the front doors, type s coaxials in the rear doors and a type r sub in the back. It sounds pretty good!!
                      But the sound quality improved just by fitting the new headunit. Thats a nice price from JB, I paid $495, JB wanted $700 at the time I bought mine

Comment

Originally posted by gary-s View Post
                        Cheers!

I just followed those links, was a bit fiddly getting the controls out but once you figured it out, the rest was easy. For the headunit, I just bought a $16 Aerpro mitsubishi harness from supercheap and it just plugs straight in. You will need to revove the front grab handles and pillar covers to install the digital radio antenna and microphone for bluetooth handsfree but this was easy.

Another tip, once you have the mitsubishi stereo out, you will need to remove the mounting plate on each side and fit this to the pioneer then it will just slide straight in.

Im very happy with the pioneer unit, I have since installed 2 amps, pioneer type r slpits in the front doors, type s coaxials in the rear doors and a type r sub in the back. It sounds pretty good!!
                        But the sound quality improved just by fitting the new headunit. Thats a nice price from JB, I paid $495, JB wanted $700 at the time I bought mine
                        Thanks again Gary, now they are down to $374... god help me
                        Loving the PAJ

Comment

just installed a single din flip out touch screen into the nm this way still retain storage pockets

Comment

Originally posted by roby02 View Post
                            just installed a single din flip out touch screen into the nm this way still retain storage pockets
                            Any chance you could post some pics?
                            Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

ill take some tomorrow and post

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X