Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Gate

Hi all

Has anybody modified rear door so it can be opened from inside.?
    I know there may be a safety issue but it would be handy to be able to open from inside, As my daughter get's sick of be accidentally left in the car LOL
    NM Exceed

Thanks in advance.
    2002 NM V6 3.5

Well this job is on my list, when my back door handle failed I knew this had to be done.
    I was thinking on using some of that stainless cable with a loop in one end and hiding it behind the tool compartment for when it go's wrong again.
    Rick
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

Thats a Good Idea, My outter handle got stuck and wouldn't open, if I had an Emergency Pull Cable hidden inside the tool tray I could open it from inside, its not easy flipping the exit seat while in the third row seat! Poor Girl.
      NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

It is a good idea, however it would require an engineering certificate in order for the authorities and your insurance carrier to sign off on.

In the event of an accident where a vehicle audit is conducted, either by state or insurance agencies and the vehicle is found to be non compliant, penalties are severe, and insurance is usually null and void.

Door locking and opening processes are covered under relevant ADR's.

Comment

O'yes, The Law V Common Sense, I see its By Law to have them Fitted inside boots on New sedans, wagons and vans for "Safety" reasons? But you are Right, the Insurance Companies would be more than happy to Reject Your Claim on these grounds. Bad Luck if the Taigate was the only Exit in case of an Accident or Fire! Humbug!
          NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

I understand that it is a modification but for insurance to reject a claim that modification need's to be a contributing factor to the accident, well that's the way it usually read's in the PDS or along them line's.
            It also comes down to assessor's keen eye or lack of.

I will still be looking at a fix I did see a post elsewhere about someone doing it on a landcruiser not sure of model.
            2002 NM V6 3.5

Comment

ive done the job , you need 2 cables , one to open the "lock" solenoid and the other to pull the rod which works the lift handle . got the idea from some other Mitsu website

stuff the legal aspects , if the tailgate is the only way out the car in an emergency then at least ive got the option to use it.

Comment

Does anyone know why it was dropped in the gen 3 as all the gen 2's have a handle.
                Rick
                Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***

Comment

'I understand that it is a modification but for insurance to reject a claim that modification need's to be a contributing factor to the accident, well that's the way it usually read's in the PDS or along them line's.
                  It also comes down to assessor's keen eye or lack of.'

I agree. There are many issues insurance will rely on in order to avoid a payout. However the above statement is only loosely correct. Insurance companies will and can use ANY issue relevant to negate a claim. Usually. But nothing is worse than having to justify your claim on a vehicle that should have not been on the road, whether through a door mod, or more detailed mods that really do compromise the integrity of a vehicle.

And it is amazing people post their mods, some of which are totally illegal, on a public forum. You never know who is reading them until it's too late.

Comment

Good grief. Can't anyone do anything to their vehicle without the holier than thou brigade joining in.

I am sure you must enjoy your puritan life.

Comment

Does anyone know if Gen 2 inner handle is a pop in unit or screw in as i may look into seeing if i can rig one up to work.
                      Then it would be harder for mr insurer to pick if there were a problem down the track.
                      Originally posted by my.paj View Post
                      Does anyone know why it was dropped in the gen 3 as all the gen 2's have a handle.
                      Rick
                      2002 NM V6 3.5

Comment

Hmm I dont think there will be room but will look into it.

Comment

'Good grief. Can't anyone do anything to their vehicle without the holier than thou brigade joining in.

I am sure you must enjoy your puritan life.'

I love my life and enjoy it immensely thanks. However, it is comments like this that show nothing but ignorance. There is much that can be done to a vehicle and let's face it, many do. But to assume we can do anything we want is wrong.

Comment

How about we just stay on topic. A question was raised, and it got answered 'ish. No need to give legal advice. Wasn't asked for nor is it required.
                            04 NP DiD
                            Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

Back on topic,
                              Want to do the same.
                              How about a central locking actuator, connected to an electrical switch mounted on the tailgate. Could even be a missle type switch so it cant be accidentally pushed.
                              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
                              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate or lockup-mate now available for Pajero NS+, Triton MN,MQ, Challenger PB,PC, Prado 150

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X