Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will larger tyre size fit?

Hello,

I`m about to get new tyres on my 2002 Paj NM 3.2DiD. The standard size is 275/70 R16 but I was wondering if 275/75 R16 will fit on the same rims and whether this will fit in the wheel arches; will the 75 rub against anything at full steering lock etc? I still have the standard suspension set up, no lift.

Does anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Frank
    2002NM 3.2DiD - Manual
    Dual batteries with redarc - K&N air filter - self made storage system with 600w inverter, 12v and usb - nudge-bar.

The standard size is 265/70R16
    For sale from September:NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Auto \ Bushskinz intercooler+sump\ Dobinsons Raised + KYB Scorched4

Comment

Thanks for the correction maasau!

Anyway I`d like to know if anyone fitted thicker tyres 75`s instead of standard 70. And if there are any issues with it or not.
      2002NM 3.2DiD - Manual
      Dual batteries with redarc - K&N air filter - self made storage system with 600w inverter, 12v and usb - nudge-bar.

Comment

I've been running 265/75/R16 for a few months now and haven't noticed any rubbing.
        2018 NX GLS - Stock

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.

Comment

I've never heard of anybody having trouble with 265/75 on the factory rims, other than the torque converter unlocking more easily.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

The 75's aren't thicker than 70's they are just a bit taller in the sidewall, not by much depending on brand. The 75 is a % of the width so 265/70's theoretically have a 185.5mm sidewall while 265/75's a theoretical 198.75mm sidewall. Not much difference, clearance won't be your issue.

If you have an auto you will probably have issues with your torque converter not locking as it should. The extra circumference is enough to cause problems. There is plenty of info in this section on it. Some have gone back to 70 series, others have stuck with the 75's but put in a manual switch to lock it up. Not sure of the finer details as I have the manual but I did skim through it. Someone may be able to find it for you.

Cheers,
            Lance
            '02 NM GLS Man Di-D, 40mm Lift, EFS Coils, HD Front, SD & Polyairs in Rear, EFS Elite Struts & Shocks, Bushskinz Intecooler & Sump Guard, ARB Awning, Rhino 2500 Multi Fit Aero Bars.

Comment

I cant think of the size, but I went up to a more common size(same as Patrols etc, about 20mm higher) when I put lift in my NP, so no clearance issues. TC lockup was a problem though.
              2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
              Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
              2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

I tried putting 265/75's on when I had a genuine MM bullbar and the old systension had sagged a bit. The tyres only had about 6mm. clearance in places, especially near the bullbar and would have rubbed going around corners particularly on rough roads - we decided to take them off and go back to the 265/70's.

Before I got the next set of tyres I put in a new suspension with a 2" life and the bullbar was replaced with an ARB - I wanted a winch bullbar anyway. Tried the 265/75's and no worries at all - they are now my standard tyre and don't rub anywhere.

Cheers

Geoff
                03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

I run 265/75r16. Had to modify aftermarket bashplate to avoid rubbing at full turn. There was also small gap to the bumper. Bumper have been trimmed and I am happy. My Pajero is short, thus bit lighter, I do not tow and I do not see issues with torq converter - on steady speed it locks. My car has 2" lift.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys!

whats the main reason for the one`s who changed to 75 to do so? More clearance?

I`m thinking of getting the Bridgestone D697LT`s
                    2002NM 3.2DiD - Manual

Comment

I run 265/7516 and have no trouble with scrubbing..went with bigger tires for more clearance.does through your speedo out by around 5 or 6 ks.
                      Cheers Richie

06 np 3.2 DID pajero...arb bar..warn winch..tjm snorkel ..27" light bar..roof racks..rotronics dual batt system ..cargo barrier..tough dog suspension...km2 tyres.(265/75/16 )...60lt arb fridge and slide....arb awning..40lt water system...arb compressor..15" roof mounted tv/dvd..

Comment

Originally posted by Fbossie View Post

whats the main reason for the one`s who changed to 75 to do so? More clearance?
                        You only gain 13mm in clearance going 70 to 75 series. Main reason is a far bigger range of tyres to choose from. 265/70/16's are generally passenger construction in HT's and AT's. Going to 75 opens up to a bigger AT and MT selection, including light truck construction. Looks too... A 2in lift and 70 series HT's looks rubbish!

Originally posted by Fbossie View Post
                        I`m thinking of getting the Bridgestone D697LT`s

Good choice. I've had the D694LT's for the last 12 months and am wrapped with them. Stuff all wear on over 15,000km and grip well dry or wet. Only downside is I find them a little noisy, which I believe is not a real issue with the 697's.

Comment

Thanks all!

If I`m esured there is no rubbing i`ll go for the 75 if available. otherwise just 70.
                          2002NM 3.2DiD - Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X