Looking to upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to upgrade

Hi all, looking to upgrade from NL GLS to NM - NP Exceed, have been having a look and just found this one

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-14755830&Cr=4

It looks like something one of the forum members might have owned in the past
    1999 NL GLS 3.5 Bog Standard, Mods to come (hopefully?)

Having had a NM petrol Exceed and loved the comfort and freedom it gave us I would NEVER buy a petrol 4WD again. If money was tight I would go back a model if needed to get a diesel over a petrol. They really are just so much better I wish I had changed years ago.
    NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

I think thats a bit pricey for a petrol.
      Go a diesel. Much economical for a big car.

Comment

I have been looking at both, having only owned a petrol, just wondering how the NM - NP Diesel engines are???

Comment

yes its a Dealer used car so you can find something as good or better plus alot cheaper if you find a private sale Pajero. i can,t say alot about the Deisel powered Pajero other than they seem to have a few issues with Intake Manifolds Sooting up and a few other bits here and there like timing chain guides etc etc but the Petrol 3.5 litre is the power house plus its very reliable as long as all service works are up to date , fit a good set of extractor headers complete with a good exhaust system and it even gets better.
          i love blowing off the Deisel jobs at the traffic lights just for the fun of it and Deisel Fuel is getting too expensive now.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

the diesel has a big increase in torque, better resale (also easier to sell) and better fuel economy.

About 5L/100km combined better than the petrol. Which equates to a saving of $8 every 100km ($1.60L avg petrol price)

But then the premium purchase price of the diesel equivalant (same model, same car) is a few thousand more than the petrol version. Would have to drive +40,000km to come out on top. Not as good as first thought?
            Last edited by Mitsu Miyagi; 19-11-13, 03:38 PM.
            2005 NP GLX Pajero 3.8L 5sp auto 198,000km

Comment

Just for your consumption. I don't drive hard, nor do I particularly drive like a nanna.

I get 800km per tank, by the time the fuel light comes on. Typically, this equates to about 10ltrs /100km. I do about 2/3 of my weekly kms on the M1 Pacific (110kph), and the rest around the 70kph limit. I drive around 700km per week to get to work and back.

I do service it every 7500km, and the mechs change out the oil and the filter every service. It is just coming up on 170,000km, and if anything, it drives better now than when I bought it a year ago.

It is my first diesel, and I wouldn't go back to a petrol one if I had the choice. And fwiw, I paid $20500 for this one, with 145,000km on the clock. Private sale, with full logbook service history from new.
              Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Grungle1 View Post
                Hi all, looking to upgrade from NL GLS to NM - NP Exceed, have been having a look and just found this one

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-14755830&Cr=4

It looks like something one of the forum members might have owned in the past

If you are up for travelling, I can vouch for this car as I test drove it before I went the diesel path. If I had of stayed on the petrol path I would have got this car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

It looks cleaner in real life and the interior is in fantastic condition for it's age. Over all a very clean car for 14K with full service history and low 138,000K's I looked at about 10 Pajero's and this one was a winner.
                Loving the PAJ
                |04 NP DiD GLS|Manual|ARB Bullbar|Lightforce lights|Dual Batteries|Snorkel|

Comment

well...

diesel sooting issue is easy to resolve and most second cars have had the egr block mod by now.

diesel also has little increase in fuel consumption when loaded and towing. recently i went to horsham (stayed there and traveled to the big desert etc).. and i was fully loaded and pulling a trailer that had 8 bikes on top of it. fuel consumption went from 10.54L/100km to 11.7L/100km. a big plus there..

then while 4wding i used 13.5l/100km

there is no comparison, if planning on 4wding and towing and loading the car up.. even with a roof rack you will get far better economy with a diesel.

i used to own petrol 4wd for years.. and now have a diesel NP and dam why didnt i go diesel years ago.

PS. those fuel consumption figures it states are dream figures, petrol 3.5 get around 14l/100km in town and just under on highway when empty.

during the life of the car, the maintenance of a petrol vs a diesel is nearly identical. this has been tested time and time again.

i would go diesel hands down.. i got mine with 300,000km on the clock for 12K drive away
                  My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

I think it comes down to how you drive, what you want to do with it, how many ks a year etc. I was looking for a Paj, and ended up looking at the petrol 3.8 NPs, as my driving was mainly short work trips(7ks each way), so couldnt see the need for a diesel.
                    Down our way, and I presume most places, diesel doesnt get discounted like petrol, so no bonus there. At the moment, our petrol is 10c a litre cheaper than diesel.

I ended up buying a Subaru Outback, as it suited what I wanted to do.

The main thing I feel, is be honest with what you intend to do with the vehicle, not dreams and ambitions that may not happen.
                    2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
                    Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
                    2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Johnston View Post
                      I think it comes down to how you drive, what you want to do with it, how many ks a year etc. I was looking for a Paj, and ended up looking at the petrol 3.8 NPs, as my driving was mainly short work trips(7ks each way), so couldnt see the need for a diesel.
                      Down our way, and I presume most places, diesel doesnt get discounted like petrol, so no bonus there. At the moment, our petrol is 10c a litre cheaper than diesel.

I ended up buying a Subaru Outback, as it suited what I wanted to do.

The main thing I feel, is be honest with what you intend to do with the vehicle, not dreams and ambitions that may not happen.
                      true, but i do short trips too, and she is a treat
                      My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Nothing wrong with short trips to a point. As long as the engine is getting up to operating temp in those short trips, then shouldnt be any problems.
                        How often do you do the short trips?? I have 2 jobs, and run between both each day(2nd job 4ks from 1st one)
                        I used to have a DID NP, and at that time, I was doing 22ks each way to work(all open road ks), so it was at temp a 3rd of the way each way.
                        I also used to do more long trips then, unlike now.
                        NP DID should be better than say NS with DPF.
                        2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
                        Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
                        2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

I owned a NM Petrol/LPG for 5 yrs and Loved that Car but when it came to Update it I couldn't find anything that was a Lot Better so I decided to buy another Later Model Pajero Petrol with Injected LPG, I found a Private NP ILPG, 175km for 18k but then I found a 05 DiD One Owner with Full History and Car Yard Warantee Plus they gave me a Great Trade in Price, so we went for the Diesel and I'm So Glad I did as it is Very Ecomonical, Even around town with lots of stop start driving, 12 L/100km and Better than 8L on the Highway at 110km/h. Plus the Sheer Grunt of this Diesel is Fantastic. $20k should get you a Exceed Diesel NP, You won't regret it. P.S. 100km Service on the Petrol is Very Expensive!
                          NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I will probably get a diesel as we just did a Sydney - Longreach - Brisbane - Sydney Trip (about 5000km) averaged about 11 - 13 ltr/100Km fully loaded with a roof basket.

Now just need to find the right one something around the sub 20k would be nice , all depends on the finance approval though

Comment

Just found this one on ebay, seems like it has been looked after and serviced well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISH...8e6705a&_uhb=1

Not sure about petrol/gas though, I do like to go off road occasionally, is clearance an issue with the gas tank?

Comment

Working...
                              X