Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Usage

Hi All,

As the title suggests, how much oil do people tend to use between a 10k service?

During a run down through Brinswick Junction with forum members it was noticed my car blew a little blue smoke. After 5k, so half way through my service interval the oil level has dropped on the dipstick from full to about a 1/5th missing.

Normal?

Rej

firstly i do not waite 10,000 ks to change my oil, every 5k at the most i have done this for many years. the cost of an oil filter and a 5 litre container of good quality oil is still under the $50 mark so why waite double time. sounds like your engine is still ok only using 1/5 th on the dip stick and maybe the blue smoke could have something to do with old worn oil . keep it clean and change every 5k then notice the difference.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
      firstly i do not waite 10,000 ks to change my oil, every 5k at the most i have done this for many years. the cost of an oil filter and a 5 litre container of good quality oil is still under the $50 mark so why waite double time. sounds like your engine is still ok only using 1/5 th on the dip stick and maybe the blue smoke could have something to do with old worn oil . keep it clean and change every 5k then notice the difference.
      Under $50 for filter and oil.
      I wish.
      5k oil change for diesel is ok but for a petrol is way over kill.
      I change my diesel at 7.5k km.
      For a turbo diesel to use that much on that many km i would say is ok.
      I wouldnt want a petrol to use any over that many km. Any petrol ive owned that used oil like that was usually on the way out. But i havent had anything to do with the 3.5 so i cant really comment.
      Blue smoke could be rings. Which a compression test will show or valve stem seals. Not being familar with your engine its hard to say.
      Sometimes a change in oil brand or viscosity can also lead to oil usage.

Comment

Are we talking about a NP Diesel?
        NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

yes it costs approx $50 for non genuine oil filter plus a good quality semi synthetic engine oil such as Nulon or Penrite in the 10w-40 to 50 range.
          rememebr 10,000 k,s of driving in traffic and so on is alot for the oil to stand up to in a pertol powered engine, this is why for both the low cost and the peace of mind it is well worth changing the engine oil every 5k. even better if you do this simple task yourself. what i can see happening in this modern day of age is the majority of drivers rely on service intervals and do not even open up and look under the bonnet to make sure engine oils etc etc etc are ok, when one waites for the 10k service it can be too late if there has been a leak un detected. definete 5,000 klms for engine oil plus observe water coolants etc in the meantime too.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Dolphin,
            Are you changing all the oil as it normally takes more than 5 litres to do a complete oil change? I do mine every 7.5k with 8 to 9 litres of oil but if your doing yours every 5k with 5 litres and not doing any damage then I might have a think about this.
            Cheers,
            Paul

Comment

careful guys your comparing a diesel to a petrol, the petrol uses 5 litres the diesel 8 to 9 litres.

With good quality oil in the later models be it diesel or petrol 10000k service intervals are fine, oil analysis has shown oil to be in extremely good condition at this mark on both the petrol and 4m41 diesel, ( 4m40t is different and needs to be changed at 5000k)
              Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
              Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Originally posted by kibz View Post
                Dolphin,
                Are you changing all the oil as it normally takes more than 5 litres to do a complete oil change? I do mine every 7.5k with 8 to 9 litres of oil but if your doing yours every 5k with 5 litres and not doing any damage then I might have a think about this.
                He has a 3.5 v6 so 5L of oil is all he needs.
                02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

Oops i should of check his signature...
                  Cheers,
                  Paul

Comment

5k oil change on petrol is way over kill.

Comment

2000 NM V6 with 275,000km, owned since 185,000km. Oil changed every 10k (book says 15k) with full syn Penrite HPR 10. Can use as little as 300ml between changes and as much as a 800ml depending on driving style, ie. hook the camper up and push it hard.
                      Usually pop the bonnet every fortnight and check the fluids on all the cars, only takes five minutes.

Comment

Mines got 260K on it. I change every 15K, sometimes 20K (running full synthetic) Uses about half a litre between changes, sometimes a bit more if I work it really hard towing or off roading.
                        We got it with ~80k on it and it's always used a bit between changes.
                        Cheers, John.
                        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

3.8 v6, changing oil 7.5k, currently just passed the 180k mark, uses perhaps 3-400mL in 7.5k kms

been running magnatec in it
                          2004 NP Exceed, 3.8

Comment

Oil

Have always done mine at 5k intervals. Never had a prob at all. Usually takes about 4 or 5months to get it near the 5k. Just a precaution more than anything. Always done it that way and never changed. Then again never had a problem. That is everything from a 161 LC torana, the pajero and the 2011 outlander. Thats my opinion. Too old school you may say. But whats a new engine worth. Oil usage on them all is nearly nil. Have also used liquid moly oil additive too. Along with a engine flush every 2 or 3 changes. Do a job. Do it right

Comment

Well Brian I tend to agree with others. If you use a half decent oil 5k changes are over kill. As is a flush every 15k but it's your money.
                              Modern oils and engines mean longer safe change intervals.

And petrols and diesels are designed to use oil. If they didn't they wouldn't last long.
                              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X