Rough idle when warm and in gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough idle when warm and in gear.

Hi hopefully someone can shed some light on what this problem may be.

I'm getting what appears to be a rough idle/noise when the car is warm and i'm at the lights in gear with my foot on the brake. It appears to drop down close to 500rpm and this is when it sounds rough. If I tap the accelerator then it sounds fine.

Car is a 2003 diesel auto.

Its as if the idle is dropping down too low. If I keep my foot on the brake but slip the car into neutral then the revs climb slightly and the noise stops. It doesnt do it when its cold, only warm. I have only just done a service and i'm running 20-60(50 + 10) as i've clocked up 250,000kms now.

I checked the idle butterfly? and its pretty clean. I took out the sensor and it had a slight oil film over it but otherwise is clean as well.

Hopefully someone can help
    2003 NP Pajero GLS 3.2 DID.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Originally posted by brentw View Post
    Hi hopefully someone can shed some light on what this problem may be.

I'm getting what appears to be a rough idle/noise when the car is warm and i'm at the lights in gear with my foot on the brake. It appears to drop down close to 500rpm and this is when it sounds rough. If I tap the accelerator then it sounds fine.

Car is a 2003 diesel auto.

Its as if the idle is dropping down too low. If I keep my foot on the brake but slip the car into neutral then the revs climb slightly and the noise stops. It doesnt do it when its cold, only warm. I have only just done a service and i'm running 20-60(50 + 10) as i've clocked up 250,000kms now.

I checked the idle butterfly? and its pretty clean. I took out the sensor and it had a slight oil film over it but otherwise is clean as well.

Hopefully someone can help
    Why did you go 20-60?. Mileage is no good reason. Only obvious wear is.
    Do your engine a favour (especially at idle) & stick with 15-40.

Comment

Being a turbo diesel I wouldn't be running 20W/60. Not that it's causing you any grief but stick with 15W/50 or 10W/40 etc
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Yeah. Hate to say it but drop that oil out.
        15-40w max.
        5-40w best.
        04 GLS NP 3.2 AUTO Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, 81L Aux Tank, UHF Roof Console, Alloy Bull Bar, Lovell 36mm Nitro Gas Shocks, Lovell HD 50mm Lift, Rear Poly Air Bags, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks, 65L Waeco CFX Fridge/Freezer, Kings Rooftop Tent.

Comment

Did you happen to unhook your battery during the service? If so it needs to do an idle re-learn. Get it up to operating temp - then let it sit there at idle with the AC on and in neutral for 10 minutes. That'ss one thing to try anyway.

Pat
          16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
          10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. It's been doing it for a while. Using the thicker oil to quieten her down a bit. I've been doing a bit of reading on other forums and people with the same noise at idle have pin pointed injectors, crank shaft bearing, alternator, fuel pump, oil pump to name just a few. It's not throwing a fault so I guess I'll just see if it gets any worse before putting it in the shop. My oil pressure drops down a few psi when I go from neutral to drive but its not low. Alternator puts put 13.8-14volts regardless. Car is never hard to start so that rules out fuel pump (plus most ppl say it gets worse with revs if its fuel). And let's me guess its a big job if its a crankshaft bearing? :/ ah anyway I'll see how it goes.

Edit: yeah thanks mate but battery has been in for a good 18mths. I tried to look last night but I couldn't see any way to adjust the idle up a little. That seems to be all it needs to stop it happening.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Comment

Originally posted by brentw View Post
              Thanks for the replies so far. It's been doing it for a while. Using the thicker oil to quieten her down a bit. I've been doing a bit of reading on other forums and people with the same noise at idle have pin pointed injectors, crank shaft bearing, alternator, fuel pump, oil pump to name just a few. It's not throwing a fault so I guess I'll just see if it gets any worse before putting it in the shop. My oil pressure drops down a few psi when I go from neutral to drive but its not low. Alternator puts put 13.8-14volts regardless. Car is never hard to start so that rules out fuel pump (plus most ppl say it gets worse with revs if its fuel). And let's me guess its a big job if its a crankshaft bearing? :/ ah anyway I'll see how it goes.

Edit: yeah thanks mate but battery has been in for a good 18mths. I tried to look last night but I couldn't see any way to adjust the idle up a little. That seems to be all it needs to stop it happening.
              so no engine light when it does happen?

check the throttle assembly.
              My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

There is no way to adjust idle. It is all under ECU control. You do need to do an idle re-learn after a battery disconnect but if that has not happened in your case then it wont be an issue. You could however disconnect the battery for a while and then do a re-learn and see what happens.

How many KM does it have on it? Could be a tired injector pump, but you need to rule everything else out first.

Noise at idle... Timing chain will have stretched if it has a few KM up. Probably snapped the guide by now too.

Pat
                16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX

Comment

Haha the car has just clocked up 250,000km. I had the chain guide changed at 220,000km when I also had the trans flushed and the tappets adjusted as well.

Comment

Ok, there is a lot more that can go wrong with a VRZ injector pump than just hard starting. I'd change out the "engine speed sensors" that are on the top and passenger side of the injector pump. They are known to cause idle speed or rough idle problems but dont throw error codes. If you dig wayyyy back on my name you will find an extended saga about this and it has since happened to others. But at 250k it could be injectors or pump internals as well. They dont go forever.

Re the noise, even though you changed the guide I'd look at the timing chain. They do get quite noisy and many owners note how much better they are after changing. My DID is approaching 180,000 and although left and right chain tensioner is within spec it rattles away and is going to get changed soon.

Pat
                    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX

Comment

I still say change back to spec oil. Thicker oil can lead to insufficient lube in oilways at low pumping because of higher friction. Fix this first then the real problems may be more evident.

Comment

Originally posted by hiedipro View Post
                        I still say change back to spec oil. Thicker oil can lead to insufficient lube in oilways at low pumping because of higher friction. Fix this first then the real problems may be more evident.

+1 to this oil and engine technology has changed drastically in the last 15 years and the old school remedies on nw motors no longer apply. The worst thing you can do to a modern engine is to use the wrong oil.
                        Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                        Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone got to the bottom of this one. My Pajero has just started the exact same symptoms.

Specifically only once the car is warm if I pull up at lights and leave it in drive a surge starts through the motor, starts minor then starts to build as if there is resonance. Solution at present is put into neutral or touch the accelerator to give another 200 revs.
                          Every thing else is normal and it runs well, would appreciate any feedback.

Comment

What's changed recently on the Paj Bard ?
                            Had a service or any other work done ?
                            2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                            2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

No mate, just out of the blue but it has done 370k lol.
                              Gonna do all the basics egv, idle, fuel filter, MAF clean and general service. Then have a think.
                              I know a lot of people jump to the fuel pump but at present no other symptoms.

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X