Noticed fuel gauge a bit funny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noticed fuel gauge a bit funny

After returning from my 6 weeker and doing in my reverse switch, I've noticed when cranking my fuel gauge sharply drops to zero. Release the key when fired up and its back to its level.

I've never noticed this before and am wondering if its a symptom of something yet to come.

Can anyone else confirm theirs does the same?

Thanks,
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

All good SC, don't panic.
    I'd not noticed it either but just went out and checked.
    Yep, ignition on, guage shows a level; start, and the level dropped to empty till it fired, then back to the level again.

There ya go, have an easy and restful Friday mate
    2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

Phew....Thanks Lance, that's a bit reassuring. I cant believe I hadn't noticed before.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

My Journeys

Comment

yup same thing here,

no doubt when cranking all the power is being redirected to the starter

all good with that, as long as the guestimate gauge goes to the same spot it was before.
        My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Hi guy's

It's only 45 km since I filled up so gauge is showing full. Mine doesn't move when I crank the starter and I don't think it ever did. Maybe about 30000km since my starter was overhauled if that has anything to do with it. 290 000km on the clock. Maybe more investigation or replies needed before you get the all clear?

Terry
          2005 NP GLX DiD,Alloy bullbar, Rallye 2000 driving lights, dual batteries,icomm UHF, 2" lift Ultimate Suspension, HD front,SD back with Ironman air bags, TJM underbody protection, HD valve body and Torque Converter, Engine Watchdog. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Comment

Originally posted by Terryo View Post
            Hi guy's

It's only 45 km since I filled up so gauge is showing full. Mine doesn't move when I crank the starter and I don't think it ever did. Maybe about 30000km since my starter was overhauled if that has anything to do with it. 290 000km on the clock. Maybe more investigation or replies needed before you get the all clear?

Terry
            not really worried, as long as the gauge goes back to its right spot

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRfhTdtpVSo
              My fuel gauge doesn't appear to move during start up Shane.
              It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with yours. Considering that the gauge in Terrys 05 model doesn't budge either, I wonder if at a certain point in the NP model run there were some minor electrical changes made?
              Although I had thought yours was a little newer than mine, which was built in April 04?
              My battery is about 18 months old (760cca Century) and the starter is original as far as I am aware.
              Cheers, Dan.
              2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Havent started the paj since seeing this thread, but i watched while starting the wifes Rav4 this morning and that does drop to empty on start like your paj.

Not related i know, but just found it interesting.
                | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

mine is an early my04 (its on the plate under the hood)..

Comment

When the fuel gauge drops while cranking means an early warning sign battery is not real good. This same thing happen to me. A month later battery finally karked itself. When the new battery was installed, the fuel gauge does not drop while cranking.
                    05 Exceed DID 3.2L Diesel auto with rear air bags, lightforce spotties,ARB bullbar,snorkel,GME CB,cargo barrier,rear storage system with fridge slide,2" lift Bilstein shocks with King springs,electric brake controller for Lifestyle camper trailer,dual batteries,60L aux fuel tank, 3" exhaust & Tunit chip.

Comment

Originally posted by shortygq View Post
                      When the fuel gauge drops while cranking means an early warning sign battery is not real good. This same thing happen to me. A month later battery finally karked itself. When the new battery was installed, the fuel gauge does not drop while cranking.

That was one of my thoughts as well. However, all of us must have crook batteries if this was the case

My Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                        My fuel gauge doesn't appear to move during start up Shane.

Thanks Dan, that's how I thought mine always was too. But wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask. BTW, I'm Oct 03.

My Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by MoreliaMatt View Post
                          Havent started the paj since seeing this thread, but i watched while starting the wifes Rav4 this morning and that does drop to empty on start like your paj.

Not related i know, but just found it interesting.

Just another quick observation, the last test on the wifes car the tank was just below a quarter...
                          I filled it up this morning and now its full, the gauge does NOT move on startup....

Which makes me wonder if it only does it at a quarter or below, whether its a built in function to try and grab your attention to the low fuel level?

I dont know, long shot... but just an idea?
                          | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                          | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                          | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                          | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

Originally posted by MoreliaMatt View Post
                            Just another quick observation, the last test on the wifes car the tank was just below a quarter...
                            I filled it up this morning and now its full, the gauge does NOT move on startup....

Which makes me wonder if it only does it at a quarter or below, whether its a built in function to try and grab your attention to the low fuel level?

I dont know, long shot... but just an idea?
                            Long shot maybe, but I was also wondering same on this after seeing Dans vid. I'm waiting to empty my tank atm...which being a 3.2 will be some time off

My Journeys

Comment

Last night I started mine with around 1/4 of a tank and it did not move. Filled up this monring, started and again it did not move down.
                              I have a 2003 manual.
                              Cheers,
                              Andrew.
                              Cheers,
                              Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                              Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X