Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushkinz sliders on the beach ?

Hi guys,

I am thinking buying the sliders but I would like to know if there is any drawback ?

I am concerned that the sliders like any side steps can be an issue when driving in the beach. E.g rust. What about the bolting them on my MY05 GLX diesel, is that easy ?

I mainly need them because I would like side steps for my daughter to climb into the car (she's 2 yo so I might as well take sliders...

Any opinions ?
    NP MY05 DiD

Anything steel will rust I guess once the paint is worn away. But these things are 42mm dia x 3.2mm thick steel tubing, with 6mm brackets. So it'll take a while to rust away. Your GLX will rust long before the sliders will.
    Check underneath for 2x10mm threaded bolt holes (3 places) and 1x8mm threaded bolt holed (3places) and 1x8mm stud (centre). I have just removed my bent side step. I couldn't believe how many bolts hole the thing on. The smaller 8mm bolt holes will be 90 degrees to the bigger threaded holes.
    I would imagine all models (GLX to Exceed) would have the bolt holes.
    Is she a big girl for 2yo. She'd need a small ladder to jump in, wouldn't she? lol. Especially to get into her child restraint seat in the back seat. It's illegal, as you would know for her to sit up front, especially with a passenger air-bag.
    Last edited by Silver Streak; 22-11-13, 08:26 PM.
    Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
    Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Streak View Post
      Anything steel will rust I guess once the paint is worn away. But these things are 3.2mm thick tubing, with 6mm brackets. So it'' take a while to rust away. Your GLX will rust long before the sliders will.
      X2.
      The biggest bonus that I have found by installing the Bushskinz steps on my NP GLX is that the sills are now fully protected from getting blasted by rocks on dirt roads. When I bought my NP, the Sills were back to bare metal in places and I had to have them re-painted. After 3 years and many kms of dirt, there's not a single new chip on my sills now.
      And of course, they make it heaps easier to get in and out of the Paj. I have kids too (currently aged 3 and 5) and the steps make it real easy for them to get in and out.
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

light sand and repaint is a pretty easy task for my steps
        NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
        Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
          light sand and repaint is a pretty easy task for my steps
          Yes even Kieron reckons they don't powder-coat them any more, not as tough as just paint, I gather?
          Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

mine were a very early set so I think painted from memory and pop riveted
            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

If you just want them as a step for getting up on, keep an eye out for a set of the factory aluminium ones. They wont rust and they'll be a lot cheaper than a set of bushskinz. They don't offer the same underbody protection but they'll be just as effective at keeping stones from flicking up and hitting the sills.
              2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

Those steps are great for all purposes, I have done plenty of beach work no rust on them
                2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your updates. Yes I know I could get side steps but they are hard to find so I might as well put something better. I just have to swallow the expense because I'd like to buy a new suspension as well. And for more than 3 years thinking about it I may buy a lovells/bilstein combo but as some of you may know. I still don't know if I should go HD at the back. I have nothing in the boot except the 3rd row and ~10kg of crap. I am not super keen to buy airbags with SD because tha'ts another $300...

@SilverStreak: Yes, my daughter is a monkey. She is almost able to climb in but she has nothing to grab to pull herself in then her legs kicks the air And once in, she climbs alone in her Safe'n'Sound reclined seat... She is all secured at the back don't worry
                  NP MY05 DiD

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                    If you just want them as a step for getting up on, keep an eye out for a set of the factory aluminium ones. They wont rust and they'll be a lot cheaper than a set of bushskinz. They don't offer the same underbody protection but they'll be just as effective at keeping stones from flicking up and hitting the sills.
                    I've put this post elsewhere, but will probably get lost there, So maybe more relevant here?
                    Just a bit of laugh re my bent up side-step issue.

While I was getting my car serviced at my dealer the other day, I thought I would ask for a quote on buying a passenger side s/s.
                    He said, "what part do you want?". "Just a side step", I said. "Not that simple", he said.
                    See what I mean with the attached photo of the quote sheet....what a laugh!!

The prices are written in blue pen. (2 places) $730!! for the base frame and $640, for the upper and lower "skins" of the step. That's $1370 for "one" side step. Maybe he misread something somewhere??
                    Almost make my twisted side step worth an insurance claim (maybe?) and that would easily pay for a set of Bushskinz Rock Sliders.
                    Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

Comment

HSVrangies look the same. I decided to go steel before mine looked a little bent.

I can only see benifits having the steps/sliders fitted. Only negative is they were not free.
                      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

[QUOTE=Aussie_Dan;334793]X2.
                        The biggest bonus that I have found by installing the Bushskinz steps on my NP GLX is that the sills are now fully protected from getting blasted by rocks on dirt roads. When I bought my NP, the Sills were back to bare metal in places and I had to have them re-painted. After 3 years and many kms of dirt, there's not a single new chip on my sills now.
                        And of course, they make it heaps easier to get in and out of the Paj. I have kids too (currently aged 3 and 5) and the steps make it real easy for them to get in and out.
                        Cheers, Dan. My Son Ben Jnr very proud of him put electrical system on my new 2013 exceed - no problems anymore he is good boy and no rust ever again due to electrician polarity. Thank you Ben Jnr
                        2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X