Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I discovered about my brakes while fiancé thought I was cleaning the house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I discovered about my brakes while fiancé thought I was cleaning the house.

Ok, so this Paj has always had brakes that vibrate a little on heavy braking. Haven't been bothered investigating till now, but I should have. I'm pretty sure this is why:

Not good.

So, anyone know if the seal kits or whatever it is are available from normal auto parts stores or is it Mitsubishi specific? Typically, I found this at 5:01 PM when the shops had closed.
    Adelaide
    2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

looks like you can get them fairly cheaply out of the uk, last parts i got from there arrived before the ones i ordered from the dealer on the same day

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubish...65406fe&_uhb=1
    Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
    Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Thanks Schnitzel.

So I'm guessing it's not something likely to be carried by auto shops then? Doh.
      Adelaide
      2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

This is how my NM's fronts were and both pistons were buggered so I dropped them off at brake shop as I didn't have the time to do them.
        Auto shop sold the kits for my NL
        Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
        New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

PBR Part number for a front caliper kit for your model should be K3357S.
          Repco or brake shop should have or can order, but get them to check the part number I have supplied above.
          Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
          Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

Based on experience, do you guys reckon I can just lightly sand the rust off a bit and do the seals or do I need to replace the pistons?
            Adelaide

Comment

I hate to be the barer of bad news but I highly doubt that would cause brake vibration.

Brake vibration (under brakes) is usually caused by brake disks (or drums) have too much run out. I'd be looking at getting your disks machined - it's not very expensive.
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

What does the metal look like under the rubber boot? Inside is not an issue.
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

You need to 'pop' the pistons out of the caliper with compressed air to determine the state of them. The vibration you feel is actually the disc rotors, they warp, which gives you brake shudder.my advice would be to have them machined swell as replacing the piston seals. I use ABS for my brake parts and machining, hope this helps.
                  2004 NP exceed DI-D: Bilstein/Lovell 2"HD lift, Bushskinz guards & sliders,Tigerz 2x2.5 awning, Toyo Opat 2's, Safari snorkel, SR 3" exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Darwiniandude View Post
                    Based on experience, do you guys reckon I can just lightly sand the rust off a bit and do the seals or do I need to replace the pistons?
                    You will need to remove pistons to see what they are like, if pitted like mine they should be replaced.
                    Rick
                    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***

Comment

It is the side of the piston that runs on the seal inside the caliper you have to check. Any pitting or marks that wont buff off means a new piston.
                      If you blow the pistons out with compressed air, put a block of wood in where the pad would go and keep your fingers out of the way. If you have not done a caliper overhaul before it might pay to drop them off at a brake shop. Brakes are for experts, your life and others depend on them.
                      NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

As above just as you think they wont come out with the compressor going flat out they go POP.

Comment

Cannot you just pump them out with the brake pedal? Has worked for me when I didn't want it to.
                          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                            Cannot you just pump them out with the brake pedal? Has worked for me when I didn't want it to.
                            Oh yeah or when the kids sit in the car and pretend to drive

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

I have rebuilt a caliper before on an 80's 300ZX, but that was back in 2005.

My rear discs don't look at shiny as the front, probably binding a bit. I'll go over everything tomorrow and see what bits I need to order.
                              Adelaide

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X