Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 exceed dash lights and no brakes

Sorry I had this in the wrong section.

Hi all I'm new to this site and stumbled across it looking for a cause of an issue i'm having with 2006 pajero exceed petrol on gas. I wonder if someone maybe can help out?

We have had the gas conversion for a couple of years now with no dramas except the odd dash light coming on. But lately alot of dash lights have been coming in engine, handbrake, traction control, etc. and the headlights would get stronger and weaker and the aircon fan would blow harder and softer, surging kind of thing. Then today an alarm started squealing in the cabin and half an hour later the brakes stopped working, luckily we pulled it up without an accident.

So now I need to get the issues sorted out properly, I did some searching and found the brake issue could have been caused by the abs relays being water damaged as this gives the exact same symptoms of the squealing alarm and then no brakes. I have checked the relays and they seem fine. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow if I cannot find something.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by bradsmith View Post
    Sorry I had this in the wrong section.

Hi all I'm new to this site and stumbled across it looking for a cause of an issue i'm having with 2006 pajero exceed petrol on gas. I wonder if someone maybe can help out?

We have had the gas conversion for a couple of years now with no dramas except the odd dash light coming on. But lately alot of dash lights have been coming in engine, handbrake, traction control, etc. and the headlights would get stronger and weaker and the aircon fan would blow harder and softer, surging kind of thing. Then today an alarm started squealing in the cabin and half an hour later the brakes stopped working, luckily we pulled it up without an accident.

So now I need to get the issues sorted out properly, I did some searching and found the brake issue could have been caused by the abs relays being water damaged as this gives the exact same symptoms of the squealing alarm and then no brakes. I have checked the relays and they seem fine. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow if I cannot find something.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    lights going brighter and dimmer, alternator for sure. a simple volt metre across the battery terminals will show this. your should average around 14.3volts DC when its running.

excessive voltage brakes things.

if that is fine and not varying by a volt or two, then

does thtat occur on petrol or lpg only?
    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

It happens on both petrol and gas thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bradsmith View Post
        It happens on both petrol and gas thanks
        i am 95% sure its your alternator/regulator (the regulator is part of the alternator)
        the surging etc is from excessive voltage, this kills EMU and ECU and gas computers.. too much voltage too long, they will break.

all the dash lights are an indicator the ecu/emu is in danger of being badly damaged.

the bright, dim, bright lights is another sign.

use a volt meter across the battery terminals to verify, new one is around $200~$270 AUs, and takes around 30min to install.

get it changed asap, and please use the car as little as possible and better not at all till resolved.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Engine-Al...412c41d&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW...0f96bb1&_uhb=1

ps which suburb & city? i am in melb, Hoppers Crossing.. if your close enough could easily pop around with my fluke multimeter to test it out.. and happy to explain the replacement if you have never done it before.
        Last edited by Easykill1978; 25-11-13, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Can also be caused by faulty earth connection from battery to body.
          Removed the battery lately? Rough roads? Any work done under the bonnet?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiteman View Post
            Can also be caused by faulty earth connection from battery to body.
            Removed the battery lately? Rough roads? Any work done under the bonnet?
            possibly, again if your close enough i will be happy to pop around to have a quick look..

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys I had to take it to Mitsubishi dealer this morning as I need it up and running asap. Hopefully doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Nice website by the way, we are thinking of upgrading to a new model reasonably shortly, we have loved our time with our current pajero.

Comment

Ok they tell me I need to replace the ABS unit. I guess I have no reason not to believe them considering the relays seem fine.

I have had a bit of a look around on the net and it does seem to be something that needs replacing occasionally.
                They want $3000 for the job for a new one. I have found one at a wreckers that will cost a little over $500 which will end up costing me $1000 roughly all said and done from the dealer.

The wrecked one's vehicle has 200000k's on it. Not sure if it is the original ABS unit in the wrecked vehicle.

What would you guys do? For the sake of $2000 should I run the risk of an old one which may pack up at any time or get the new one for the peace of mind and 12 month warranty.

Any feedback or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                Brad.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X