Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bilsteins/Lovells HD at the back with empty boot ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilsteins/Lovells HD at the back with empty boot ?

Hey guys,

I am ready to buy a new suspension for my NP but I am still tossing between HD and SD at the back. Definitely HD at the front because it's a diesel with a bullbar and winch. But I have nothing in the boot except the 3rd seat row and a small toolbox.

By any chance, is there anyone in Brisbane near Annerley who would have the same setup aka HD all round with nothing in the boot to see how 'harsh' it can be ?
    NP MY05 DiD

i originally got SD in the rear with airbags. with nothing in the rear i had issues with tyre wear on the outer edge of my tyres.

I should never have got SDs due to what I was about to do with the car.
    I added draws and a fridge to the rear and with that loaded up and a couple of jerrys on the roof it soon sagged. and the airbags were useless. Add more jerrys, 2 adult passengers in the back over 20 000 kms and the rear suspension is knackered. the springs still sag when the paj is unloaded.

In my experience I would suggest if your putting any weight in the rear definately go HDs

Iv just organised EHDs through Kieron and they have yet to arrive.
    2002 NM GLS,
    ARB Bullbar, GME UHF, Narva 225s, 2" Lift (lovells) HD Front EHD Rear, Snorkel, Waeco CF50, ARB Awning, Rhino Racks, Pajero Club Stickers, Rear Aux Battery (Excide Stowaway ST27DC105), Maxtrax, Homemade roof basket, LED camp lights, Red Arc Low Coolant Alarm, Drop down table, Fishing Rod Holder, Rooftop Water Storage, Tigerz 11 winch, Bushskinz Bashplates, Rear Storage, Dual Tyre Carrier

Comment

There have been a few posts about this. My advice - dont get SD rears with HD fronts. Your car will be bum down all the time compared to the angle it should be. We had SD, changed to HD, it went up 25mm, got the correct front to back angle and we couldn't tell the difference in 'harshness'.
      2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

I ran my Paj around for 18 months with HD springs in the rear and nothing in the cargo area for 90% of that time. Neither the wife or I ever complained about the ride.
        As others have said, if you ever plan on loading the Paj up with gear, even just for a weekend camping trip, you would regret having SD's installed and wish you had gone straight for HD's.
        Cheers, Dan.
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

I'm about to upgrade my suspension also, I am definitely getting the HD up front & swaying towards HD in the rear. 80% of the time my boot is empty, 3 row of seats removed, few tools in the well. When I use the car on the weekends I usually load her up with camping and diving gear and will be towing a 17ft Haines Hunter.

From what I can tell the "Harshness" isn't really that harsh, just wondering what the 80% will be like with HD in the empty back?

Cheers,
          Tak.
          NP MY04 Auto 3.2 DID 21st Anniversary -ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Smittybilt X20 10,000lb Winch, Airtech Snorkel, Bilstein & Lovells HD 50mm Raised Front and Rear, GME TX3345 UHF & AE4702B Aerial, Phillips X-Treme Vision Headlights, Lightforce 240 XGT's, Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards, Maxxis 771 AT LT 265/70 R16's, Rhino Heavy Duty Roof Racks & Shovel Holder, Foxwing Awning, Stienbauer Performance Chip, EGR System Removed & Blanked, Goodsy's Power Window Mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
            I ran my Paj around for 18 months with HD springs in the rear and nothing in the cargo area for 90% of that time. Neither the wife or I ever complained about the ride.
            As others have said, if you ever plan on loading the Paj up with gear, even just for a weekend camping trip, you would regret having SD's installed and wish you had gone straight for HD's.
            Cheers, Dan.
            Beat me to it! Cheers Dan, exactly the answer I was after.

Now the question of pre assembled or not assembled? What will be cheapest in the long run I wonder?
            NP MY04 Auto 3.2 DID 21st Anniversary -ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Smittybilt X20 10,000lb Winch, Airtech Snorkel, Bilstein & Lovells HD 50mm Raised Front and Rear, GME TX3345 UHF & AE4702B Aerial, Phillips X-Treme Vision Headlights, Lightforce 240 XGT's, Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards, Maxxis 771 AT LT 265/70 R16's, Rhino Heavy Duty Roof Racks & Shovel Holder, Foxwing Awning, Stienbauer Performance Chip, EGR System Removed & Blanked, Goodsy's Power Window Mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Tak View Post
              Beat me to it! Cheers Dan, exactly the answer I was after.

Now the question of pre assembled or not assembled? What will be cheapest in the long run I wonder?
              No probs
              you won't regret going HD in the rear.
              If you then need even more support when towing your boat, it's pretty straight forward to fit a set of airbags in the rear.
              Cheers, Dan.
              2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

After having fitted my set last time I will definitely go pre-assembled this time.

If you regret HD then you can have my SDs for free, just need a forum courier to get them to ya.

By the way, it is not just when loaded up that you will regret SDs it is even when empty. Car will sit at the wrong angle, it looks like you have bags of cement in boot.
                2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

80% of the time my boot is empty, 3 row of seats removed, few tools in the well. When I use the car on the weekends I usually load her up with camping and diving gear and will be towing a 17ft Haines Hunter.

From what I can tell the "Harshness" isn't really that harsh, just wondering what the 80% will be like with HD in the empty back?
                  This is pretty much the exact same usage as me. 80% (probably more like 95% for me) of the time there's nothing in the back. I load it up when I go away and it tows a 6m boat.

I've got HD all round and wouldn't think of going any softer. Harsh is a pretty unfair term for the ride. It's firm and level, and corners well without the body rolling all over the place would be how I'd describe it. It's not like you go over bump and get thrown in the air or anything.

I've had three sets of HD springs (2 x Lovell and 1 x King) in three NP pajeros and never once felt they were too stiff. The current Paj also has air bags. When I got the first set of springs fitted they put SD in the rear (despite me asking for HD) and the ride was awful. Nose in the air, sloppy in the corners and just about out of control when loaded up. They ended up swapping them out free of charge and putting in HDs. Life was good after that.
                  2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

All right you guys make more confident that I should go HD all round. Thank you for the feedback.

@Pauld, you are right, this question has been asked many times but it was often about people towing whereas I don't so I wanted to have an opinion about a stock NP with a empty boot (no cargo barrier, no tools, no drawers, no extra tank, nothing
                    NP MY05 DiD

Comment

Ok, I'll weigh in (pun intended). I've had SD's all round (with airbags in the rear) for 2.5 years. I installed these prior to a big trip to the Kimberley in June 2011 (they did this trip without drama). I spent a long time deciding whether to go SD or HD, because my load requirements didn't match many other Paj owners. I've got dual batteries but no bull bar (or winch of course) up front, and the rear is very lightly loaded for most of the time. The SD's have been ok but if I still have the car when it's time for new springs (unlikely I guess) or when I upgrade the car (can't see why I wouldn't go Paj again) I'll go HD. This is not so much for the towing (only a 1 tonne CT), but for the occasional genuine off road I do. On my recent Simpson crossing there a few times my suspension bottomed out (mostly going too fast near the bottom of a dune) and I wished I had HD. So my advice (and given the broad consensus by other Paj drivers) is go HD, and you won't be left wondering like I have at times.
                      My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------
                      MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

I mostly have zero in the back of my car for 90% of my driving, NT i know, but same same....

I dont know why they offer an SD.... HD is perfect for all applications! I wouldnt have anything else...
                        | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                        | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                        | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                        | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

I would consider SD with bags if I could put SD in the front, mixing the two is the big mistake.

HD all round with no bags does the job for me

Comment

What's involved in assembling the pieces? Im going to get the lot installed by a professional just wondering how much of his time it will take up and what will work out cheaper for me in the long run? Do I hand over the assembled or non assembled kit?

Cheers,
                            Tak.

Comment

What's involved in assembling the pieces? Im going to get the lot installed by a professional just wondering how much of his time it will take up and what will work out cheaper for me in the long run? Do I hand over the assembled or non assembled kit?

Cheers,
                              Tak.

Non assembled was cheaper for me, the suspension place puts them all together for bugger all extra....

The assembled ones are good if your gonna do it yourself... but if its going to a shop, get the unassembled... (or perhaps call the place your considering using to fit and ask them the price difference?)
                              | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                              | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                              | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                              | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X