Another timing chain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another timing chain.

Called into my mechanics today for a coffee, he has a Gen 3 in the workshop with a snapped chain.

He does all the service on this Pajero but...............the last time it was serviced was two years ago and has traveled 39,000Ks since then.

Reason...the owner "couldn't afford to have it serviced".

They will be paying for it dearly now!
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

So the timing chain was checked at the last service? If so that's a bit worrying seeing as the recommended interval for checking the chain guide etc is every 45,000km.
      2003 NP Pajero GLS 3.2 DID.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Comment

I wonder if they changed the oil in that time!

Comment

Hey Taipan,

Pretty keen for you to find out some more info if possible?

Guide fail? When last changed?
          How many kms?
          Anything else?

Paul
          2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

MM need to rectify this premature t/ chain breakage, is it the chain guide at fault or the chain is just not strong enough ? i have a Ford Courier which has a timing chain [ not belt ] and it still has the original chain after 249 k.
            what i am on about is ; the bloody chains should not fail this quick and last alot longer than any timing belt which can handle 100k plus between changes.
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by pauld View Post
              Hey Taipan,

Pretty keen for you to find out some more info if possible?

Guide fail? When last changed?
              How many kms?
              Anything else?

Paul

G'day Paul.

Ks....268,000.

Last changed... will try and find out.

They haven't pulled anything of the motor as yet, the owner (a woman says she has no money) so waiting on her decision.

The body and the lovely black leather interior are immaculate.

Comment

Is there a recommended replacement milage on the chains ?
                Has anyone here ever replaced a chain as a preventative measure ?
                2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

Jim mentioned on here a while back that MM droped the double chain a while ago.

So did Nissan and they are having more problems than MM.

A Nissan spare parts manager told me recently that Nissan also has a single chain on the D22 Navara D40 Navara and R51 Pathfinder YD25DDTI and are snapping.

There is an after market double row conversion available for the above Nissans. Cost.... YD25 timing chain kits with double row gears $875

http://www.yd25.com.au/

http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-an...a_timing_chain

Comment

Originally posted by Wallacey View Post
                    I wonder if they changed the oil in that time!

Nope, it still had the sticker on the windscreen from two years ago.

Lance, I don't think there is anything from MM saying the chain needs replacing every whatever.

Maybe Pickle could find out.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                      Nope, it still had the sticker on the windscreen from two years ago.

Lance, I don't think there is anything from MM saying the chain needs replacing every whatever.

Maybe Pickle could find out.
                      I used to get my 2003 NP 3.2 DiD serviced regularly at MM believing that now I had a beaut diesel they would do it best. NEVER ONE did they say anything about a chain or guide.
                      When chain failed in WA, at 203,000 the rebuilders were mystified why it broke because the links showed very little wear. We now know in retrospect it was the Guide failed.
                      The new chain is a double row & heavier.
                      I do my own services now. Despite that drama I will keep this Paj till I go into a nursing home. After 60 yrs driving it is our best yet.

Comment

Looking at replacing my chain as a precaution, I've done 275k.

Hiedipro, I notice you have replaced yours with a double row chain. Do you have any details of the parts to do this modification. Where all your guides replaced with wider units to suit the double row chain?
                        Cheers,
                        Paul

Comment

Have MM changed the chain at all since the gen 3's?
                          It would be disappointing if the same unchanged in desige chain is still the same going into nee NW's.
                          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

My 2004 NP has a double row chain in it. I would imagine the previous owners wouldn't have modded it to take the chain so I think it must be original.

When I changed out the guide it was only half sucked which was a relief, fancy being brought undone by a sub $25 part.

btw shes just running in at 285,000 klms.
                            04 NP DiD
                            Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

Originally posted by kibz View Post
                              Looking at replacing my chain as a precaution, I've done 275k.
                              Did you replace the chain or keep running the old one?
                              My Paj is up for 225k service and I am thinking to replace the chain, tansioners, etc.
                              For sale from September:NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Auto \ Bushskinz intercooler+sump\ Dobinsons Raised + KYB Scorched4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X