bad fuel econ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad fuel econ

ok my 03 np 3.5 is getting about 550kms for 76 litres of fuel so 14/15l per 100( was getting 600+ )

changed the 02 sensor before last trip and the last 2 tanks have gotten 550kms
    i pulled the ECU fuses to reset any error codes or what ever

is there anything i can check / change out that may be effecting it?

only add on's are the awnig and roof rails ( fuel econ was 600+ when it first went on )

it will have a service soon

Oil
    Oil Filter
    Fuel Filter
    Air Filter

there seem to be a little bit of oil usage have to add 100 - 200 mills of oil every few weeks - noticed drivers side there is a bit of oil coming from somewhere - will get mech to look at.
    03 NP Pajero 3.5L

Originally posted by Drabz86 View Post
    ok my 03 np 3.5 is getting about 550kms for 76 litres of fuel so 14/15l per 100( was getting 600+ )

changed the 02 sensor before last trip and the last 2 tanks have gotten 550kms
    i pulled the ECU fuses to reset any error codes or what ever

is there anything i can check / change out that may be effecting it?

only add on's are the awnig and roof rails ( fuel econ was 600+ when it first went on )

it will have a service soon

Oil
    Oil Filter
    Fuel Filter
    Air Filter

there seem to be a little bit of oil usage have to add 100 - 200 mills of oil every few weeks - noticed drivers side there is a bit of oil coming from somewhere - will get mech to look at.
    14/15 per hundred is a bout right, you could replace the spark plugs..

thats a bit more oil than i expect.. my last petrol the mark hardly every moved, when replacing the plugs check them for oil and wrong residues.
    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

ok thanks

plugs were changed about 25k kms ago for platinum ones.
      03 NP Pajero 3.5L

Comment

Try giving the AFM a clean as well, that can help. Have you added any accessories or changed fuel types/stations lately? Have you gone from H/T to A/T tyres? These van all have an affect
        Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Originally posted by Drabz86 View Post
          ok thanks

plugs were changed about 25k kms ago for platinum ones.
          ahh some have used a champion or bgk plug and got more economy.. they used to use plat.
          My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

I owned a NM 3.5 for 5 yrs, Loved That Motor! But it Did use a little oil as most do, and I was not getting the economy you are, so I'd be Happy if I was you mate. These are Big Buses and Push alot of Wind, so I reckon they are Great compared to LC and Patrols and about the same as early V6 Prados, the Prado 4.0 L is Heavy on fuel.
            NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

I found switching to 98 octane BP Ultimate or similar really made all the difference to economy ( using cheap E10 or whatever is very much a false economy).
              I also use an upper cylinder lube like Morey's or Lucas, a squirt with each full tank helps economy and cleans the injection system/valves etc.....doing these two things has maxxed out my fuel economy to the point where I'm constantly amazed how much further I get from a tank nowadays.
              (UCL from Supercheap costs around $18 a bottle which lasts me about 6 mths).
              Using oil & fuel sounds very much like the plug tube 'o' rings leaking, a tell for this is missing under load/losing oil/bad fuel economy, I'd get that checked too.Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbo View Post
                I owned a NM 3.5 for 5 yrs, Loved That Motor! But it Did use a little oil as most do, and I was not getting the economy you are, so I'd be Happy if I was you mate. These are Big Buses and Push alot of Wind, so I reckon they are Great compared to LC and Patrols and about the same as early V6 Prados, the Prado 4.0 L is Heavy on fuel.
                The 4l Prado is actually quite good on juice, most returning around 14 litres per hundred. Not bad for something with 179 kW and 376 Nm (120 series) Sure, there are examples that use more, but that's the same for any car.

I do agree though, 14-15 litres per hundred is pretty good fro the 3.5.
                Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X