Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise at idle 4M41

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Noise at idle 4M41

    I have a 2004 NP diesel that makes a metallic clatter sound from idle to 1000 rpm , then the noise goes away above this rev range . I think it maybe coming from the injector pump but not sure . Do these engines have a separate lift pump as I know someone with a TDi Defender had a similar noise and suspected the IP but there was nothing wrong with it . He replaced the lift pump and noise disappeared . Apparently it had failed and caused the IP to become noisey at idle because of no head pressure .
    Could the timing chain be making this noise? I don't think it has been replaced . The vehicle has done 330000km . I don't think injectors have been replaced either . I purchased the car at 200000km and nothing in service records to suggest either have had been replaced .
    Thinking of fitting an electric fuel pump in the fuel line to see if it makes any difference .
    Thanks for reading .

  • #2
    I would have the top timing chain guide checked ASAP
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

    LH Torana

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Muzza View Post
      I would have the top timing chain guide checked ASAP
      I concur with the learned gentleman.
      04 NP DiD
      Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

      Comment


      • #4
        Definitely check the top timing chain guide! Check this thread:
        http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=34319

        Its on my urgent to do list as well, but somehow mine is still ok after 200000km.
        You can check this guide by using a small mirror into the oil filler opening (mirror facing to front of engine) and use a flashlight.
        2002NM 3.2DiD - Manual
        Dual batteries with redarc - K&N air filter - self made storage system with 600w inverter, 12v and usb - nudge-bar.

        Comment


        • #5
          +1 for the top timing chain guide.

          For the tiny coin it costs to replace, I wouldn't delay on it.

          It can save a rebuilt costing thousands, and the peace of mind is priceless.
          Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Shano592 View Post
            +1 for the top timing chain guide.

            For the tiny coin it costs to replace, I wouldn't delay on it.

            It can save a rebuilt costing thousands, and the peace of mind is priceless.
            Absolutely correct. Use it as little as possible till checked. Mine suddenly went at 203,000k & cost over $12,000 with shipping & rebuild from Karatha.
            No warning sounds & no warning advice from service techs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Agree with the rest - top guide check it now!
              I did have a funny metallic rattle a while ago from the inj pump/battery area - drove me nuts looking for it.
              Got out the stethoscope, bash plates off and got underneath and bingo.
              There are 4 elec/vacuum solenoids in a bank below the battery for EGR and the throttle body flap. The one right on the bottom was clacking away - unplugged it and no more noise. It was for the EGR and it is blocked up anyway so I didn't bother replacing it.If you want more details send me a PM.
              Cheers

              Originally posted by nugget675 View Post
              I have a 2004 NP diesel that makes a metallic clatter sound from idle to 1000 rpm , then the noise goes away above this rev range . I think it maybe coming from the injector pump but not sure . Do these engines have a separate lift pump as I know someone with a TDi Defender had a similar noise and suspected the IP but there was nothing wrong with it . He replaced the lift pump and noise disappeared . Apparently it had failed and caused the IP to become noisey at idle because of no head pressure .
              Could the timing chain be making this noise? I don't think it has been replaced . The vehicle has done 330000km . I don't think injectors have been replaced either . I purchased the car at 200000km and nothing in service records to suggest either have had been replaced .
              Thinking of fitting an electric fuel pump in the fuel line to see if it makes any difference .
              Thanks for reading .

              Comment


              • #8
                do not fit an inline electric pump, this has caused a number of run on engine failures in the 4m40's and other motors and i daresay would have the same effect on the 4m41, all they do is push fuel past the seals in the ip filling the sump with diesel which when it gets to a level allows the engine to run on its own sump oil till it explodes from over revving.
                Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

                Comment

                Working...
                X