Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Engine Light

Hi all
    Have been a bit of a quiet member for about a year and regularly read the forum for insight and info, particularly anything I could find regarding overboost and the check engine light. I , like others it seems have a gremlin where if I'm doing about 100 - 110 kph and accelerate hard enough to make it kick down a gear, the dreaded CEL appears. 2004 DID by the way. Many posts about this, but haven't found one that gives a definite cure. I've had the waste gate checked, the waste gate actuator checked, all the hoses checked, the boost sensor replaced, yesterday a new inlet manifold and EGR valve replaced, all to no avail, the light still comes on. So far cost me $2000 and still no solution. Around town it never appears, but on the highway, and up hills there it is. Ourimbah hill gets it every time!
    If anyone has some fresh ideas I'd love to hear, but I'll keep trying and if I find the solution, I'll definitely post it up here!
    Brett.

Have u had the system scanned by Mitsubishi to retrieve any stored codes?

Comment

I would install a boost gauge to see what is going on to start with.
      Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

First port of call is reading the code rather than throwing money at it. Either get mitsu or someone who has the tools to check it or read it yourself. If 04 is obd compliant grab a scangauge
        MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

The NM / NP diesel is not OBD compliant unfortunately. But you can use this procedure to check the codes yourself:
          http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=20313
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Mitsubishi can retrieve any stored codes, and codes the abovementioned process will not display.

Good idea to install a boost gauge.....not. Dumb. Yes let's throw some more money at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiteman View Post
              Mitsubishi can retrieve any stored codes, and codes the abovementioned process will not display.

Good idea to install a boost gauge.....not. Dumb. Yes let's throw some more money at it.
              The above code checking procedure will show code 49 if it is present - overboost.
              And you think that installing a boost gauge is a bad idea? Are you serious?

Comment

Hi guys
                Fault codes have been read and reported as overboost.
                Replacing the boost sensor was the first suggestion by a mechanic.
                Another mechanic and I went for a drive so he could see for himself what was happening. They then called mitsubishi themselves, described the problem and they felt perhaps it was the inlet manifold problem causing the light to come on under the described driving conditions. Even though it's a long stretch to blame the inlet manifold for overboost! They keep putting of down to sensor black magic. I do have to say though this is the only problem the car has. Everything else works perfectly. And if I only drove sedately this problem would never appear!

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                  The above code checking procedure will show code 49 if it is present - overboost.
                  And you think that installing a boost gauge is a bad idea? Are you serious?
                  The cost of a boost gauge is minimal these days and easy to fit yourself too if you have some basic auto electrical knowledge. Just use the 12volt ign feed from your ignition for power. (I just tapped the stereo wiring as its on a 15amp fuse with 10amp max draw for the stereo)
                  2003 NP Pajero GLS 3.2 DID.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Comment

Which hose do you T piece to fit boost gauge or is there a place to fit electrical sender ?
                    MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
                    Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
                    http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png

Comment

I found a pic of when I ran the liqu moly and drew an arrow to make it easy to see the T piece. Then just run it through a grommit and hide the sender unit up under the passenger side of your dash.
                      Attached Files
                      2003 NP Pajero GLS 3.2 DID.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Comment

Thanks for that.
                        MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
                        Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
                        http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png

Comment

I also suffered from Overboosting CEL, my Actuator was Cactus and was Replaced but I ended up with Low Boost of 11psi! I bought a Turbo Smart Boost Gauge to confirm. I rang Graham from HiTech who said to Space the Actuator with 5mm Washers which worked great, now 17psi and Good Power again. The Gauge will Verify your Overboost at 22psi so you'll Know for sure. Waste Gate is Adjustable on the Actuator Rod, which will need to be lengthened to reduce boost. ( opens W/G earlier ) Its a Pig to get to as its behind the Turbo.
                          NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Ok.
                            So thanks to all the helpful information and the link posted by Aussie Dan and Hobbo ( thanks for that!),I've spent the arvo with my head under the hood. Did some fault code finding of my own and came up with overboost again. There were no other related codes shown so I'm fairly convinced it's the waste gate actuator - even though I've been told it's ok. Just need to find someone to test it properly. While I was having a poke around I also made up a solid plate to keep my new inlet manifold nice and clean!
                            Any hints on how to test the actuator?

Comment

Originally posted by Ultraoz View Post
                              Ok.
                              So thanks to all the helpful information and the link posted by Aussie Dan and Hobbo ( thanks for that!),I've spent the arvo with my head under the hood. Did some fault code finding of my own and came up with overboost again. There were no other related codes shown so I'm fairly convinced it's the waste gate actuator - even though I've been told it's ok. Just need to find someone to test it properly. While I was having a poke around I also made up a solid plate to keep my new inlet manifold nice and clean!
                              Any hints on how to test the actuator?
                              They Can test the Actuator pretty easily, They need a good hand pump with a gauge, take off the hose that goes between the Turbo and Actuator and attach the pump to the Actuator, pump slowly till the Waste Gate Starts to get Pushed Open, taking Note of the Pressure, if its over 21psi its Too Much and Results in a CEL. Mine was doing this sometimes,the Rod and WG was Sticking and Not letting the Eccess Boost Escape.
                              NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Working...
                              X