Damp exhaust studs????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damp exhaust studs????

Recently I had a bit of work done on my 2002 NM.

Plugs
    Tube seals
    Cam shaft seal
    Timing belt
    tensioner
    Water pump
    Rocker cover gaskets

After driving the car and stopping it I can smell burning oil and when I had a look under the car the lower exhaust studs/nuts are damp with oil. It is certainly not running out nor could I measure how much oil I loosing, it's more the annoying smell.

Any ideas?

oil might have leaked when you got the r/covers replaced? degrease them when the engine is cold. id check the r/cover bolts too, might be loose

Comment

I've degreased the motor and it keeps coming back. The mechanic nipped up the rocker cover bolts when I took it back so we are still trying to work out where it is coming from.

Comment

ive seen the intake manifold studs leak oil on a few cars, i wonder if exhaust studs could also leak

Comment

It's been said on here before that the oil passages are close to the back of the stud bore hole and stud can potentially push through with enough force. Never seen it before so it would be a rare event.

I'd say rocker cover seal or cam seal wasn't done properly possibly.
          97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
          97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Originally posted by cds70 View Post
            Recently I had a bit of work done on my 2002 NM.

Plugs
            Tube seals
            Cam shaft seal
            Timing belt
            tensioner
            Water pump
            Rocker cover gaskets

After driving the car and stopping it I can smell burning oil and when I had a look under the car the lower exhaust studs/nuts are damp with oil. It is certainly not running out nor could I measure how much oil I loosing, it's more the annoying smell.

Any ideas?
            I'd be looking at your rocker cover studs, it says only 3 nm but I did mine up tighter as oil was leaking at 3 nm. Same spot running down over manifold.
            Loving the PAJ
            |04 NP DiD GLS|Manual|ARB Bullbar|Lightforce lights|Dual Batteries|Snorkel|

Comment

It's either the rocker cover gasket or the front camshaft seal. First thing to do is nip up the rocker cover bolts a bit. They are only done up about finger tight so be careful.
              If that doesn't fix it I guarantee its the cam shaft seal
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by cds70 View Post
                lower exhaust studs/nuts are damp with oil.
                just the lower ones? not the top? i suggest wash it down again and watch it start leaking, if its studs they arent that hard to remove, but theres the risk of them breaking

Comment

Interesting.............. is it possible for oil to leak through the thread of the studs?

No sure if it's the top studs as well or just the bottom studs, but I'll have to check. As you know they are hard to get at to see.

If it's the front cam shaft seal the mechanic will have to pull it down and fix it.

Comment

In the process of taking the front off my motor and pretty sure this is a cam seal.
                    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

It's normally on the bottom studs only due to the angle of the theads.
                      The oil will obviously trail down so when it hits the manifold and pools up and then it runs out on the nut on to the stud. Seen this dozens of times and was always valve cover or cam seal.
                      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X