First pajero 4x4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First pajero 4x4?

Looking I'm looking at getting my first pajero. Ill prolly get a 2000-2003 petrol exceed. I do a lot of mid range to heavy 4x4 driving. Just wondering how it will go?? Ill put a 50mm lift or more and bigger tires at first What other mods ar the go? And how how do they go in water crossings (with a snorkel) cheers guys

firstly why do you want the Exceed model ? really not needed if your going to heavy 4 x 4 driving [ GLS ] or [ GLX ] is fine and cheaper. don,t go any higher with the susspension than 50mm otherwise you will have issues with rear shafts popping out. fit larger dia wheels to give the extra lift over 50mm.
    a snorkle doesn,t help alot on the petrol engine as you still have underbonnet electrics to worry about getting wet , not like a deisel powered vehicle where the snorkel helps alot. the air intake on the pertol pajero is at front bonnet height about the same height as the coils etc etc. if i were you i would be concidering buying a Deisel Pajero as they do handle water crossings alot better [ safer ] than a petol.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
      firstly why do you want the Exceed model ? really not needed if your going to heavy 4 x 4 driving [ GLS ] or [ GLX ] is fine and cheaper. don,t go any higher with the susspension than 50mm otherwise you will have issues with rear shafts popping out. fit larger dia wheels to give the extra lift over 50mm.
      a snorkle doesn,t help alot on the petrol engine as you still have underbonnet electrics to worry about getting wet , not like a deisel powered vehicle where the snorkel helps alot. the air intake on the pertol pajero is at front bonnet height about the same height as the coils etc etc. if i were you i would be concidering buying a Deisel Pajero as they do handle water crossings alot better [ safer ] than a petol.

eh no snorkel, i see someone hasn't gotten stuck in water.. and the intake is in a terrible spot for going forward in deep water.

fit a snorkel, as for the electrics, not really a worry at all. the plugs and leads are insulated so they wont stop.. the alternator may have a probl till it dries out, other than that your electrics will be fine.. the wonders of dc ask me i know with my terracan, was stuck in water for 15min over the hood of the bonnet... and it motor kept purring away.

so yes fit a snorkel, can allways be an aid..
      My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Easykill, are you refering to your DiD [ Deisel powered Pajero ? ] or was this over bonnet water level with a Petrol powered Pajero ?
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

I have had a snorkel on every 4by I've owned. 2 Pajeros, 2 Hiluxes and a Lada.
          One petrol Pajero and the Lada had water over the bonnet stationary but kept on going. No snorkel and they would have died expensively.

Mad not to install one if going offroad.

Go for a lower spec and you can pick up and NP with traction control.
          Build date october 2003 or later.
          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

i really would have thought when under bonnet componants get wet then short outs begin. from coil pack fittings to sparkplug lead ends etc etc , unless all are well sealed there has to be conductivity involved when it comes to water which is conductive as we know. i better not apply too much water next time i wash my petrol engine as i seem to go through the wd-40 spray so the miss stops.

Comment

Easykill, are you refering to your DiD [ Deisel powered Pajero ? ] or was this over bonnet water level with a Petrol powered Pajero ?
              petrol powered terracan, 3.5L

Comment

i really would have thought when under bonnet componants get wet then short outs begin. from coil pack fittings to sparkplug lead ends etc etc , unless all are well sealed there has to be conductivity involved when it comes to water which is conductive as we know. i better not apply too much water next time i wash my petrol engine as i seem to go through the wd-40 spray so the miss stops.

coil packs are completely sealed, and the leads don't matter as long as there is good contact on the coil and the plugs, neutral is found from the car.

alternators aren't a worry, once they are wet it looses efficiency tillt hey dry out..

dc works great underwater for ages and ages..

the real trouble is fans being sucked into the radiator, and water inside motors.

and ac electrics hate water..

Comment

I believe the problem with petrol motors and water was traditionally the distributor - any excuse to send the spark somewhere else was good enough to kill the motor.

Coil packs seem to cope with moisture much better, and I suspect modern leads seal better than their predecessors.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

arent most modern diesels fitted with electronics now. to me it would still seem the same if water got into the electronics of a diesel it will stop too
                    1984 nb swb, 2.6lt, 2 - 2.5 inch lift, (lwb rear springs). Custom rust holes lol. some spot lights, alloy bullbar

Comment

Wasnt the subject about buying a first 4x4 and not about underwater driving and snorkels?

Comment

Originally posted by chriso of penrith View Post
                        Wasnt the subject about buying a first 4x4 and not about underwater driving and snorkels?
                        Originally posted by Brejnak View Post
                        how do they go in water crossings (with a snorkel)
                        Location says Cooktown. He's probably serious about water crossings.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

I just came back from an epic 4wd'ing holiday after installing all the breathers, My car is stock apart from 2 inch lift and 33's, Before this I had an 84 dual cab Hilux running 11" Lift, 3 Inch body, 4 inch susp and the rest in 35" tyres. The car had patrol axles and coil springs and a 5L Holden V8.

The Pajero is hands down the better 4by, I cant believe how good it is, it tackled everything I threw at it with ease, much better than the hilux, and it is bloody strong. With a decent set of large tyres, it is an absolutely fantastic 4wd.

I think the 4wd system is great, as it is basically a 3wd as opposed to my hilux and a lot of other 4by's with no LSD which are essentially 2 wheel drive when the going gets tough (Correct me if im wrong)

In regards to fitting a snorkel, I have been considering this for some time, I am really a 4wd'ing amateur, and have been considering whether a snorkel is better or worse for allowing water into the engine.

Without one, unless you got stuck in some deep water, would the water not just get stuck in the air filter, and possibly your car not run great for a bit?

When entering deep water, how does the massive splash not enter a snorkel? also, when its raining do you have to turn the top around? Whats the deal with that? Also, with a snorkel, due to gravity id think the water would just drop straight down?

I would like to be convinced to buy a snorkel.
                          NM- 33.1's, 2" Lift, Tranny, diff and TC breathers, underbody protection

Comment

Brejnak - the major issue with an exceed model is all the plastic fairings on the car, they're just begging to be ripped off whilst offroad. I suggest you look at a lower specced model without all the plastic fantastic on it.
                            2018 NX GLS - Stock

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by e32lover View Post
                              I just came back from an epic 4wd'ing holiday after installing all the breathers, My car is stock apart from 2 inch lift and 33's, Before this I had an 84 dual cab Hilux running 11" Lift, 3 Inch body, 4 inch susp and the rest in 35" tyres. The car had patrol axles and coil springs and a 5L Holden V8.

The Pajero is hands down the better 4by, I cant believe how good it is, it tackled everything I threw at it with ease, much better than the hilux, and it is bloody strong. With a decent set of large tyres, it is an absolutely fantastic 4wd.

I think the 4wd system is great, as it is basically a 3wd as opposed to my hilux and a lot of other 4by's with no LSD which are essentially 2 wheel drive when the going gets tough (Correct me if im wrong)

In regards to fitting a snorkel, I have been considering this for some time, I am really a 4wd'ing amateur, and have been considering whether a snorkel is better or worse for allowing water into the engine.

Without one, unless you got stuck in some deep water, would the water not just get stuck in the air filter, and possibly your car not run great for a bit?

When entering deep water, how does the massive splash not enter a snorkel? also, when its raining do you have to turn the top around? Whats the deal with that? Also, with a snorkel, due to gravity id think the water would just drop straight down?

I would like to be convinced to buy a snorkel.
                              nope no need to turn the head around when its raining, most good snorkels have a small drain hole at the rear of the head. and the splash your talking about? then your going too fast, you need to go just fast enough to create a bow wave infront of the radiator (prevents the fan from being sucked into the radiator.) and if it did splash the chances of getting enough water to affect anything then you are more than likely in trouble.

snorkels are great, they prevent the motor from dieing due to no air.. worst thing if you get stuck you cant do anything to attempt to get yourself out and then your left to snatching with no power out of a river. bad bad. they also prevent the airfilter from getting soaked by water, and then you have to run the rest of the day with no air filter (if you dont carry a spare that is.)

also the location of the intake on the paj is terrible, bow waves etc can let in water thru the front of at the radiator.

a snorkel elevates the intake to the top, you will get slightly better economy being higher of the ground for cooler air. les dust going to the thru it in sandy situations.

and being an amature as you state, fit one please.. you will be very very happy you did..

heres what a snorkel can do
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSaupCToerY

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X