Shock length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock length

So, I'm currently running an OME Nitrocharger set on my NM (w/matching OME HD springs for +40-50mm lift, originally). They have 8yrs/150k (miles) on them and are getting a little soft...no leaks yet.

Considering replacements, I am comparing lengths (due to the lift) with less expensive options and nothing seems to come close. Given the independent suspension (and limited wheel travel), is this an issue? (OME 90006/60019 @ F: 330mm closed / 580mm open, R: 355/580.)

I can get Bilsteins crazy cheap in the US ($219/set, delivered!) These are the F4-BE5-6271(/72)-M0, which I'm told are 100% identical to 24-062718(/25)...no design change, just a new part numbering scheme. These shocks seem to spec *much* shorter than the OMEs (F: 425-475, R: 355/565, though I could not find data directly at Bilstein and this spec is from a reseller page).

Given the price, how could I not? Vehicle use is mostly highway, beach several/yr, (mild) trails few/yr...don't think I've ever lifted a wheel! No towing and significant loading is very rare. Will these work for me? I've read several shock threads herein and I think it's a 'yes', but I'd love discussion/confirmation.

Thanks...

(PS - Anyone want a set? Might even be worth the cost of shipping. Let me know...)
    Last edited by dookie; 04-12-13, 01:36 AM.

The compressed and extended length of a shocker will only have an effect on wheel travel IF the shocker is the limiting factor in regards to wheel travel when fitted to the vehicle. Only way to tell is to measure the extended and compressed lengths before and after fitting. It is important that the shocker does not bottom out internally on fully suspension compression (on to compressed bump stops) as this will easily damage shockers and mounts.
    Care need to be taken in regards to bump stops, brake line length and coil retention when fitting long travel shockers.

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Any other opinions? I see several mentions of these Bilsteins in conjunction with longer springs. Any issues?

Comment

Bilstein are certainly a great shock and widely used here on the Pajero. Personally I rate them ahead of OME. I couldn't tell you which model number we use but wait because someone will tell you soon.
        2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...in+part+number
          2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

So, my part #s appear to be correct for B6 HD, and the vendor confirms stock. At US$220 + ~$150 shipping, anyone want a set? Mine will be ordered in the next couple days.

Comment

can you confirm this is $220usd for both front and rears? I just priced a set of rears only at $220usd from shox.com
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Yes, set of 4 @ US$55 per corner & free shipping (to USA, of course).

Comment

That's incredible pricing. Any link to share?
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

My Journeys

Comment

I'd be interested in a couple of rears. Wonder what freight to Oz would cost?

BTW, AFAIK no-one makes a different lenght shock for these. As Jack said you don't want them bottoming out on full compression and a longer shock probably would. Yes down travel is limited by the shock. Thats the nature of the beast with independent suspension.
                    Upshot is raising your suspension does not give you any more wheel travel, just better clearance.
                    Cheers, John.
                    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

The site is shockwarehouse.com, however...

I initially searched for the parts by the old-format (F4-xxx) number and they came up at $55 per. I placed my order & received them yesterday (actually the 24-xxx parts). But when I went back to the site and tried to pull them up again, the F4 listing now redirects to the newer part listing...at $120!

I'm very happy they honored the apparently out-of-date price for me, but I guess I tipped them off to their mistake and they have corrected it. Sorry folks...

Comment

Thanks Dookie. Glad you got such a good score.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X