Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superselect - 2H won't engage

Hi everyone,

I have trawled the forum but I cannot find any Superselect threads with the same symptoms I am getting.

It was raining in the perth the other week so I was driving about in 4H, worked great. Once everything dried up I shifted the SS lever back into 2H. The green front wheels flashed but did not stop flashing, eventually all the green lights went off and the orange C/D light started flashing. I pulled over immediately and switched the car off, shifted back to 4H and started the car again. All is good in 4H and I can shift into 4HLC and 4LLC no problem but I still get flashing green lights on the front wheels when I engage 2H.

The other day a friend was driving the car and he shifted it into 2H without me noticing and when we turned a corner the steering was heavy and there was a horrible noise, I assume this noise was wind up. I haven't tried to turn while in 2H since as I'm worried it will damage something.

I have tried a couple of things which I have read on various other threads including disconnecting the battery and reversing whilst its trying to engage. I can feel the vacuum on one of the tubes on the front diff but not on the one that exits towards the rear of the car. This is the case weather I'm in 2H or 4H. Also, when I shift from 4H to 2H I can hear a motor of some sort for about 2 seconds.

Is there anything else I can try? I hope I have given enough information for someone to be able to help.

Thanks for reading!
    Tom
    2000 NM Pajero GLS V6 Auto

Sounds like possibly the front diff isn't disengaging.
    Since the front lights flash for a while as soon as you goto 2hi the 4wd ecu obvioulsy has gone I to 2wd and detected a front diff error.
    In 2hi with car syarted the yellow striped hose should have vac and blue should be nothing. In 4wd the blue now has vac and yellow has nothing.
    If that checks out the pull the boot back on the actuator and spray wd40 all over the shaft, also pull the front diff switch plug and clean it out with wd40 as well. Now start thw car and have somebody select between 2hi and 4hi and make sure the actuator shaft moves freely, a little push with your fingers when 2hi is selected can help.
    The fact it made a noise around a corner with a bit of heavy steering suggests to me that it maybe not disengaging the freewheel properly and is half engaged.
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Originally posted by -tom- View Post
      Hi everyone,

he shifted it into 2H without me noticing and when we turned a corner the steering was heavy and there was a horrible noise, I assume this noise was wind up.
      Tom
      Hi Tom,

What sort of noise was it? Was it a grinding noise or like gears clashing?

From what I understand driving the car in 4h without the C/D locked should not present a problem.
      Ok, so the ECU is telling you there is a fault somewhere in the super select system because of the blinking bloody orange light.
      I'd be inclined to ground pin 1 on the diagnostic and see where the ECU thinks the problem is.
      Will save you some time, but as my esteemed pajero driver Pauly has rightly pointed out, it may turn out to be the free wheeling clutch actuator thats stuffed.
      04 NP DiD
      Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

Thanks for replying!

The noise was a single bang from underneath the car.

I only get vac on the tube with the blue line regardless or weather I'm in 2H or 4H. Could this be my problem? I traced the lines back to a pair of solenoids located next to the air box. If the solenoids are identical would swapping them around help me decide if one of them is faulty?

I took a photo of the actuator shaft. Is it in locked position? And when I put it into 2H, should the vacuum from the yellow tube (which I don't have) pull it across to the left of the photo to disconnect the axel from the diff?

Thanks
        Tom
        Attached Files
        Last edited by -tom-; 07-12-13, 03:08 PM.

Comment

you really should fit 2 x new solonoids as 1 could be abit wonky and the other on its way out. by a set of 2 from Ashdown Ingrims , should only cost $40 odd compared to genuine which will be around $200. make 100% sure you fit the solonoid hose line exactly to each seperate soloniod as there not connected up identical even though you have yellow and blue hoses thats about it. also check all ends etc on the hoses for splits from the top right down to the vacume cannister under car near front diff, plus make sure this cannister is not leaking air when compressed.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
            Sounds like possibly the front diff isn't disengaging.
            Since the front lights flash for a while as soon as you goto 2hi the 4wd ecu obvioulsy has gone I to 2wd and detected a front diff error.
            In 2hi with car syarted the yellow striped hose should have vac and blue should be nothing. In 4wd the blue now has vac and yellow has nothing.
            If that checks out the pull the boot back on the actuator and spray wd40 all over the shaft, also pull the front diff switch plug and clean it out with wd40 as well. Now start thw car and have somebody select between 2hi and 4hi and make sure the actuator shaft moves freely, a little push with your fingers when 2hi is selected can help.
            The fact it made a noise around a corner with a bit of heavy steering suggests to me that it maybe not disengaging the freewheel properly and is half engaged.
            Go to this thread. Has diagrams as well.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=35266

Comment

I tried what Pauly said and sprayed a heap of WD40 on the actuator. I left it for a couple of hours and then pulled the tubes off and on really quickly over and over which eventually worked the shaft free. I also cleaned the solenoid connections while I had them out.

Thank you everyone!

Comment

Hi Tom
                About 2 years ago I had something similar happen to mine. The two top green lights were flashing and bottom two solid. I can’t remember if it was from changing from 4WD to 2WD when it happened, but I had a rumbling/winding noise when slowing down and a major clunk from underneath as I stopped. The problem would only happen if I was in 2wd, there was no problem at all in 4wd. After posting on the forum I was directed to ring a mechanic here in Brisbane who diagnosed the problem over the phone. Yes solenoids were changed but also a switch in the front diff as well.
                Hope this helps
                2003 NP Exceed, 3.5 Petrol/Injected Gas Auto, 2" EFS Suspension, ECB Alloy Bull Bar, HR Tow Bar, UHF, Bushskinz Intercoler/Sump Guards & Sliders ,Cargo Barrier.

Comment

I have had the same problem when I recently brought the car I put it in to 4H but getting it back to 2H was a problem I found if I put it in and out several time I could get it back to 2h and after a recent beach camping trip where the car was shifted between 2H,4H,4L alot I have not had a problem so i think that when 4WD doesent get used for a while it seems to play up
                  2001 NM Pajero 3.5l, 50mm lovell lift kit

Comment

Originally posted by philthestoner View Post
                    I have had the same problem when I recently brought the car I put it in to 4H but getting it back to 2H was a problem I found if I put it in and out several time I could get it back to 2h and after a recent beach camping trip where the car was shifted between 2H,4H,4L alot I have not had a problem so i think that when 4WD doesent get used for a while it seems to play up
                    Exactly right. The switches need periodic use to keep them clean.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X