Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM Pajero diff locker

Hi all,

I'm considering fitting a front diff locker to my NM Pajero - I have heard some conflicting stories with regards to fitting lockers to Pajero's that have the centre diff lock.

The stories include beware of installing diff lockers to this model of Pajero as it has been know to cause related problems such as damage to C.V Joints and Propshafts due to the strain placed upon these item when the lockers are engaged. Also you cannot have a locker in use, if the centre diff lock is engaged. etc etc so you loose the function of the centre diff lock.

I understand the benefits of diff lockers, but up to now have never considered installing one, l have always used the centre diff when in harsh, rocky, soft or boggy ground with total success. The pajero is a fantastic 4wd and does everything mates landcruisers and patrols with do and in some cases more. Seeing the pajero has a total 4wd system which can be locked by the centre diff, is it really worth spending dollars on a locker.

All feed back truly appreciated as I'm sure there are lots or pajero owns that have lockers fitted and all have their own opinion.

Originally posted by markandliz View Post
    Hi all,

I'm considering fitting a front diff locker to my NM Pajero - I have heard some conflicting stories with regards to fitting lockers to Pajero's that have the centre diff lock.

The stories include beware of installing diff lockers to this model of Pajero as it has been know to cause related problems such as damage to C.V Joints and Propshafts due to the strain placed upon these item when the lockers are engaged. Also you cannot have a locker in use, if the centre diff lock is engaged. etc etc so you loose the function of the centre diff lock.

I understand the benefits of diff lockers, but up to now have never considered installing one, l have always used the centre diff when in harsh, rocky, soft or boggy ground with total success. The pajero is a fantastic 4wd and does everything mates landcruisers and patrols with do and in some cases more. Seeing the pajero has a total 4wd system which can be locked by the centre diff, is it really worth spending dollars on a locker.

All feed back truly appreciated as I'm sure there are lots or pajero owns that have lockers fitted and all have their own opinion.
    Some of this is kind of true, some of it is bollocks.

Yes, it CAN put more strain on the cv's and driveshafts. If you are steering on hard surfaces with the locker engaged, then yes it will put strain on the driveshafts/cv's. On the other hand if you are climbing up a set of, lets say, rocks and you pick a front wheel up while climbing, then the impact of the lifted front wheel with the ground as it comes back down can also cause strain on the said items. This is the same with ALL 4x4's

There is no way you lose the function of your centre diff while the front locker is engaged, especially if you gave a selectable locker like an Air Locker. If you put the car into 4Hlc or 4Llc there is no way the locker chnge this operation. If you are talking about an auto locker, then its not advisable to engage the front axle at all as the locker will engage under power and cause damage to the front cv's/driveshafts (ref 1st paragraph). If this were true (losing centre diff use with the front locker in) then this would affect ALL 4x4's with a centre diff ie Landcruiser 80/100/200, Prado, Discovery etc. Someone isnt 100% sure of what they were talking about in this case.

Go the front locker, will make the Paj so much more capable.
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Stories,,,,,
      Get a locker, only hard bit is deciding whether to go auto lokka or manual.?
      NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

Getting my air locker fitted this week. Ready for Chrissy in the Ottways.
        NP 2004 DiD Manual-DP Chipped,HD Clutch, ARB Bull Bar, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Safari Snorkel, ARB Air Lockers, Front & Rear Diff breathers, OME 40mm lift HD struts & springs with Coil Rite Airbags, Beaudesert exhaust 2.75", Warn 9,000lb winch, Bush Skinz bash plates, Intercooler back to transfer box & Sliders, Coopers 265/75-16 ST Max on Black CSA 16" x 8" 25P-Car & Trailer, Rhino Roof rails, Tigers 11 awning, Outback Wheel Carrier & towing a Rhinomax Scorpian.

Comment

Originally posted by NFR64 View Post
          Getting my air locker fitted this week. Ready for Chrissy in the Ottways.
          I'm leaning towards the autolocker myself. I'm a simple kind of guy and the autolocker is as simple as it gets. Thats said understanding the mechanics of how it allows cornering when engaged is so counter intuitive that it really is an exercise in witchcraft. I'll just take it on faith.
          04 NP DiD
          Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

Originally posted by binda View Post
            I'm leaning towards the autolocker myself. I'm a simple kind of guy and the autolocker is as simple as it gets. Thats said understanding the mechanics of how it allows cornering when engaged is so counter intuitive that it really is an exercise in witchcraft. I'll just take it on faith.
            I've been looking at Lockers for about 8 months and if I could disengage my front hubs the auto locker would be the go. There are pros and cons for all that I have looked at, so it comes down to personal preference.
            NP 2004 DiD Manual-DP Chipped,HD Clutch, ARB Bull Bar, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Safari Snorkel, ARB Air Lockers, Front & Rear Diff breathers, OME 40mm lift HD struts & springs with Coil Rite Airbags, Beaudesert exhaust 2.75", Warn 9,000lb winch, Bush Skinz bash plates, Intercooler back to transfer box & Sliders, Coopers 265/75-16 ST Max on Black CSA 16" x 8" 25P-Car & Trailer, Rhino Roof rails, Tigers 11 awning, Outback Wheel Carrier & towing a Rhinomax Scorpian.

Comment

Hey mate I fittted a air locker to my paj nm and I love it works a treat and if is not on there is no problem with the 4wd system
              2000 nm paj 2.8td arb bull bar 24" light bar arb under bonnet compressor tjm front air locker tjm 12000lb winch.

Comment

Just be aware fitting an auto locker on your Paj will mean 4WD/h will no longer be usable on road.

This is the only reason I went with a manual locker, (air locker), on mine as I do use 4WD/h on narrow winding rds & always in the wet..

Gus.
                VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                  Just be aware fitting an auto locker on your Paj will mean 4WD/h will no longer be usable on road.

This is the only reason I went with a manual locker, (air locker), on mine as I do use 4WD/h on narrow winding rds & always in the wet..

Gus.
                  This is the main reason I went with the air locker.

Comment

The Chinese RD110 I got into the front of my Paj works great.
                    Jus sayin :-)

Comment

This thread has gone off track! (Yes I have removed 4 posts).

If you wish to purchase Chinese knock offs that's fine but we make no apologies for not allowing Spam or links to these on this forum..
                      When we have commercial advertisers who support this forum & it's members..

Gus.
                      On behalf of the Admin Team.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                        This thread has gone off track! (Yes I have removed 4 posts).

If you wish to purchase Chinese knock offs that's fine but we make no apologies for not allowing Spam or links to these on this forum..
                        When we have commercial advertisers who support this forum & it's members..

Gus.
                        On behalf of the Admin Team.
                        Hi Gus...thanks for that...
                        Who are the commercial advertisers and how do they support us?
                        Thanks.
                        Jos
                        Josooowa
                        2019 NX GLS ARB Bar Billstein Lovell HD Combo
                        2004 3.8 NP Manual ARB Bar Billstein Lovell HD Combo (soon for sale...)

Comment

ARB is one of the advertisers that supports us. They pay to be an approved commercial advertiser on this forum.
                          Without companies like these this site/forum would not be free for all of us to use and enjoy.
                          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Josooowa View Post
                            Hi Gus...thanks for that...
                            Who are the commercial advertisers and how do they support us?
                            Thanks.
                            Jos
                            Thanks Goodsy..

Jos have a look : HERE

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Originally posted by markandliz View Post
                              Hi all,

I have locker up front as many do. If I can tow a camper up little red on the CREB track with out breaking the CV's. It's how you drive with the locker on. You don't need to put so much right foot into getting over or through any thing tough. I've found you can attack a track muck slower with the locker on and therefore better control and less damage over all.
                              2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X