No announcement yet.

NP Exceed DID overheating when towing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP Exceed DID overheating when towing.

Towed my new 2nd hand van to Beachport a couple of weeks ago and when driving up the incline through the Adelaide Hills on a hot day - 35c my temp gauge rose up to over 3/4 on the gauge. Had to stop twice as this is a long incline at the start of the Adelaide Hills freeway to cool down. Van weighs approx 2400 kg fully loaded. Gauge always sits on just below half, reckon I'll need the radiator cleaned out before next trip, any thoughts?
    06 NP Exceed DID, Bridgestone Dueler 697 AT LT265/65/17s', ARB Dual Battery Tray - 75 AH First Start AGM 2nd battery, Redarc Isolator,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Mits Nudge bar, Roo Lites, Mits Roof Racks, RoofRackWorld Explorer Steel Mesh Roof Tray,Bushskinz Intercooler/Sump Guards, Icom IC-440 UHF, 47 Litre ARB Fridge, Anderson Plug at rear. Lovell's 2" raised HD Springs, KYB Skorched 4s' Shocks, Firestone Airbags .

Yep, clean out the radiator (get a radiator shop to take the tanks off and rod it out if it needs it), change coolant, check the viscous fan is working properly and consider having an external auto trans cooler installed to stop the auto adding stress to the cooling system.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Yes my NP diesel would get very hot going up that hill towing camper I had new radiator,fan clutch and thermostat I only knew it was getting very hot by my watchdog digital gauge (105C) as the temp gauge was only showing halfway !!!! Got sick of massive temp diff with standard radiator and fitted 54mm double core radiator. Problem solved . Never gets over 85C now towing up any hill. Agree with Dan re auto trans temp. I have fitted a thermostatically controlled fan to standard cooler which cuts in at 80C and off at 75C . Mainly helps when driving slow with no air flow. Standard cooler is a bit on the small side. Maybe next job !!
      Very interesting watching transmission temps when driving in city traffic
      Cheers
      Greg
      NP diesel , Cross Country Intercooler , Cooper AT3, Optima dual batteries, TM 4 Engine Watchdog,Bilsteins and Kings, 54mm Heavy Duty radiator

Comment

Having a similar issue with my NP at the moment with the temp gauge starting to move a bit when towing the boat on warm days. Looked around at the options and decided to buy a new radiator over having my existing one rodded out. Brought a brand new OEX radiator off ebay for $179 including delivery with 2 years warranty (it was delivered within 3 days too). Visually and dimensionally (525mm x 705mm x 24mm) it is exactly the same as the one that is currently in the car.

I will be installing it this weekend. The cost to have the existing 10 year old radiator rodded out (after I removed it) was only slightly less than buying a brand new unit - so made sense to me to simply by new and install at my leisure.
        2013 NW VRX

Comment

C'mon rotare ... where's the link!?

I think a lot of us may be in a similar situation sooner or later...
          Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

EBay
            Search for radiator NP heavy duty

Comment

Originally posted by Shano592 View Post
              C'mon rotare ... where's the link!?

I think a lot of us may be in a similar situation sooner or later...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISH...item4acc50a88b
              2013 NW VRX

Comment

Greg, can you tell us where you got your radiator from, 54mm double core, that is a real heavy duty unit. Rotares radiator sounds like a standard radiator, no real advantage for towing.
                NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

Originally posted by brianwanless View Post
                  Rotares radiator sounds like a standard radiator, no real advantage for towing.
                  An unblocked and properly functioning "standard" spec radiator is fine for towing in my opinion. My temp gauge never use to move even when towing my 2T boat in the peak of summer - it's only recently become an issue for me, hence why it's being replaced.

Each to their own I guess....
                  Last edited by rotare; 12-12-13, 09:48 PM.
                  2013 NW VRX

Comment

Hi Brian
                    You are exactly right . People buying the 26mm are buying the same dam radiator if a DiD !!!!
                    Problem will still be there when towing !!!!! It's NOT heavy duty
                    Haven't got link for u sorry but Google Winner Racing. Great to deal with.Questions answered promply .Beautifully made alloy radiator
                    Can send photos to u if u want
                    Cheers
                    Greg
                    NP diesel , Cross Country Intercooler , Cooper AT3, Optima dual batteries, TM 4 Engine Watchdog,Bilsteins and Kings, 54mm Heavy Duty radiator

Comment

Hi Rotare
                      Yes u are right in that the gauge didnt move. Mine didnt either until I fitted a digital gauge and realised I was sitting on 105C when towing !!!!
                      Too hot for me for longevity of engine
                      Cheers
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gregk6189 View Post
                        Hi Rotare
                        Yes u are right in that the gauge didnt move. Mine didnt either until I fitted a digital gauge and realised I was sitting on 105C when towing !!!!
                        Too hot for me for longevity of engine
                        Cheers
                        Greg
                        90-105C is around the normal operating temperature for a modern engine using a pressurised cooling system with a 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol. Boiling will occur at temps above 130C. You may have thought 105C is excessive or extreme, but it's not when put in context.

If you're really concerned about the longevity of the engine, fit an EGT gauge
                        2013 NW VRX

Comment

Gday all,
                          Just had the car in to check cooling system. They have a machine to check it and came back 40% blocked. Removed radiator and rodded it and was only 5% blocked. They said that the coolant in it wasn't MM coolant, this is strange as it has only been serviced by MM except once around 50,000 km ago by local garage and MM have apparently changed since then this by my records.
                          My car has an electric fan in front of the radiator as well as the clutch fan. How do I check the clutch fan to be operating properly? Yesterday it was
                          40C in Adelaide and the electric fan was on and the clutch fan was spinning but it turns all the time anyway, any thoughts?
                          06 NP Exceed DID, Bridgestone Dueler 697 AT LT265/65/17s', ARB Dual Battery Tray - 75 AH First Start AGM 2nd battery, Redarc Isolator,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Mits Nudge bar, Roo Lites, Mits Roof Racks, RoofRackWorld Explorer Steel Mesh Roof Tray,Bushskinz Intercooler/Sump Guards, Icom IC-440 UHF, 47 Litre ARB Fridge, Anderson Plug at rear. Lovell's 2" raised HD Springs, KYB Skorched 4s' Shocks, Firestone Airbags .

Comment

Darwiniandude has just gone through a similar exercise. Check out his recent thread.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...isplay.php?f=8

Cheers,
                            Lance
                            '02 NM GLS Man Di-D, 40mm Lift, EFS Coils, HD Front, SD & Polyairs in Rear, EFS Elite Struts & Shocks, Bushskinz Intecooler & Sump Guard, ARB Awning, Rhino 2500 Multi Fit Aero Bars.

Comment

Just read that Lance, but how do I know it's working properly?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X