Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the rules for carrying a load on the roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the rules for carrying a load on the roof?

Hi, I have purchased a double seater sofa, 1.7m long and I want to transport it on the roof of the paj. Now the sofa does not exceed the roof rack load limit, but I know it will look ridiculous driving down the street with a sofa on the roof.

I rang VicRoads, and they said as long as it doesn't overhang the vehicle by more than a certain amount (wont overhang the vehicle at all), and its secured properly and doesn't exceed the roof rack load limit it should be fine, but I know from past experience to never believe anything VicRoads tells you.

Surely there is some legislation that states the maximum height an object can protrude vertically from the roof of a car? That is pretty much my only concern. I am confident that I can secure it safely, and it will not exceed the roof load limit.

Anyone know anything about this?
    NM- 33.1's, 2" Lift, Tranny, diff and TC breathers, underbody protection

is your sofa higher than a racing push bike ? i doubt it. so as long as the sifa does not protrude over the sides [ left / right ] and it does not protrude anymore than 1 meter out the back or front all is legal. just make sure its tied down securely .
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Don't see why it's not legal. Just glad it's you not me lifting it up there!
      However, I'd really question the legality of driving this down the street, especially after opening a few beers!?! http://youtu.be/YCbMMxgG8wM

Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

hope he will take those wheels off before use after the roof trip
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

In Victoria you can't have anything protruding out the back of the car and the load can project 1.2 metres out the front. Sideways it can be 150mm wider either side of the car. As far as your height goes, I don't think the couch will take you over 4.3 metres.
          2005, 3.2 did, auto, 2" lift, Toyo Rugged Terrain tyres, UHF, fridge slide and box by me, dual batteries, Kalahari awning, Rhino roof bars and platform, Bush Skinz intercooler plate, Coil Rite air bags, Safari snorkel, 81 litre LRA aux tank, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX 9500 winch, Masten TPMS.

Comment

Yeah I thought that would be the case, I mean with the road regulation in Australia you can never know 100% whether something is legal or not. I was searching for an answer and found this story about some guy in the UK who did it, but obviously his car was not equipped to handle such a load, nor was he equipped to secure such a load.

The sofa is smaller than the roof of the paj, and will be ratchet strapped to the roof racks, Im an ex dirtbiker so I know how to tie stuff down, I have had a dirtbike fall off a trailer before, so I don't muck around when it comes to securing loads.

Comment

I'm sure you'll be fine... but keep your eyes peeled, just in case :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgreeUKQOts

Phil
              BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

ha ha yeah ive seen that infamous bridge. Ill try and remember not to hit the maccers drive through on my way home

Comment

extra room for passengers up there too...

Took this one driving in Thailand.
                  Attached Files
                  NW VRX DID, Auto.
                  Wish list: a good wash...

Comment

Reminds me of this:
                    Attached Files
                    2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.

Comment

Vic Roads load limits

Hi Guys

This PDF should answer the question.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...vrpin01833.pdf

Discovered this recently whilst buiding our house and carting many loads with and without tandem trailer.

Yogibear

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X