Intank fuelfilter....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intank fuelfilter....

Had my car (petrol 3.5 gdi) in the shop to change a micro fuelfilter an to get new oil and filter.
    Wanted to change the filter in the tank but the mechanic Said the bolts are rusted and impossible to loosen without breaking them.....and the only solution was to get a new tank!
    What do you think?

Theo
    2001 Exeed V6 GDI

There is Two Inspection Plates to remove under the Middle Seats, the Second one is a Pain to get out and back in. He may have given up trying due to time? The fuel filter is easy to change and I would fit a New Fuel Pump Motor at the Same Time as they have a Limited Life. Removing and Replacing the whole fuel tank will cost a lot. I would take it to another Mechanic for a Second opinion, if the IP plate bolts are Rusted I wouldn't worry about breaking them, I would just use Tex Screw to refit plate with Silicone to seal from dust.
    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

i think he means the studs holding the tank's cover plates are rusted. the studs can break off if you remove them to get to the pump.

rust issues are common in Europe , with all cars.

a new tank would be easier , though i would try drilling out the rusted studs and replace them with Nutserts , and short 6mm bolts.

Comment

a bit of coke a cola on them and let it sit.

take socket put of nut/bolt head and hit end with rubber mallet..

clean coke off and try..

if still stuck use some wd40, spray.. wait, spray, hammer with socket, spray.. wait and try again..me.. if the plate bolts break.. no biggie as long as plate comes out and then use the easy out to remove the bolts..
        My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

I'd say you've got nothing to lose by having a go if the alternative is a new tank.

I removed my intank filter yesterday and had no issues with the bolts for the two cover plates being rusted, as they both internal to the car and not exposed.
          I can only think he meant the little bolts attaching the filter/pump mechanism to the tank.
          Mine were rusted and I soaked them in WD40, which loosened them up enough.
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate and NEW RELEASE auto-matePRO

Comment

Thanks for the replies.Yes he meant the bolts that screw into the tank....if he tries to loosen them they Will probably breaking he says.....and in his world the only alternative is a new tank....that Will Cost an arm and a leg.....ill. have a go myself as from experience,impossible just takes a little longer

By the way,the same shop told Me they have to replace the whole cb board when i had the irratic temp issue...and i just resoldered the R10 resistor and it was fixed!And didnt Cost my kids college fund.(thanks to this superb forum full of knowlege)

Theo
            2001 Exeed V6 GDI

Comment

Originally posted by Gen3 View Post
              i think he means the studs holding the tank's cover plates are rusted. the studs can break off if you remove them to get to the pump.

rust issues are common in Europe , with all cars.

a new tank would be easier , though i would try drilling out the rusted studs and replace them with Nutserts , and short 6mm bolts.
              Yes,rust is an issue here in Europe as they salt the roades to Cope whitch ice....
              2001 Exeed V6 GDI

Comment

I took my tank down a few months ago, the nuts he is on about were rusted badly. Sprayed the life out of them with penetrating spray and managed to remove them fine. If it was me I'd drop the tank and remove all the rust that will be on the tank and repaint. It's a tricky job, but not hard.

I'm in Scotland and like you we cover every road in salt so yours I'd imagine will be the same. The top of my tank were the cover is was potted as the water justs sits there (bad design). Check your filler pipes Under the rear arch as same again(bad design) they seem to falling off most shoguns in the UK due to rust.
                2003 DID Shogun, 10mm Alloy bash plates, OME suspension, sliders, Set of BFG AT 265x70x16 & 235x70x16 Insa Special Track Extreme muds.

Comment

Originally posted by Davie View Post
                  I took my tank down a few months ago, the nuts he is on about were rusted badly. Sprayed the life out of them with penetrating spray and managed to remove them fine. If it was me I'd drop the tank and remove all the rust that will be on the tank and repaint. It's a tricky job, but not hard.

I'm in Scotland and like you we cover every road in salt so yours I'd imagine will be the same. The top of my tank were the cover is was potted as the water justs sits there (bad design). Check your filler pipes Under the rear arch as same again(bad design) they seem to falling off most shoguns in the UK due to rust.
                  O yes,pipes under wheelarc....just changed them.They where completly rusted off,so when i filled her up the petrol leaked all over....but now all fixed
                  Ill try to spray WD-40 and see if i can loosen them.

Theo
                  2001 Exeed V6 GDI

Comment

And here we are worried about one trip to Fraser.
                    Bugger all salt and we wash it of. Pajero is salty for less than a week in most cases.
                    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Had a look myself at work today.Soaked it in WD-40,Will try to loosen them later.But i did notice the mechanic had bent the second plate and also lost one of the four nuts for that plate......
                      2001 Exeed V6 GDI

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X