Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel cap - Petrol

Hi All
    Is it possible for a fuel cap to fail by over pressure? My normal parking position at home is about 20% uphill. Recently I have noticed a petrol stain down the side of the car. Today the stain was wet, even though the car has not been driven in over 24 hours. I opened the fuel cap, sort of expecting a rush of air, but I had fuel gush out towards me as if a tap had been turned on. I very quickly replaced the cap to stop the fuel flow and washed the spill from the car & driveway.
    Note: The petrol tank was just over ½ full at the time.
    May have nothing to do with it but I run on injected gas only using petrol to start and warm up. With city driving, I only buy petrol maybe 2-3 times a year, last time the petrol cap was opened was a couple of months ago. Any ideas????
    2003 NP Exceed, 3.5 Petrol/Injected Gas Auto, 2" EFS Suspension, ECB Alloy Bull Bar, HR Tow Bar, UHF, Bushskinz Intercoler/Sump Guards & Sliders ,Cargo Barrier.

i would sugest you open up the fuel cap atleast every week to let out the extra pressure and see how the difference is.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Hi Dolphin

I will give that a try on flat ground. In the meantime I went for a short drive, about 1klm, then reversed into my drive (giving a 20% down slope) and released the cap. Quite a bit of air came out (as in much more than normal air you can get when you go to fill up), but no fuel this time. Will test at work tonight (20klm drive) and again when I come home tomorrow to see if high pressure is building up daily or over time.
      2003 NP Exceed, 3.5 Petrol/Injected Gas Auto, 2" EFS Suspension, ECB Alloy Bull Bar, HR Tow Bar, UHF, Bushskinz Intercoler/Sump Guards & Sliders ,Cargo Barrier.

Comment

err dont fuel caps have a small breather hole to slowly release this pressure?
        My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
          err dont fuel caps have a small breather hole to slowly release this pressure?
          Check your tank breather isn't caked in mud or other debris. It's under the splash guard, under the filler (well it is on the 3.2, I wouldn't think the petrol variant was different). If there is pressure inside, something is not venting.

Its the white bit with the blue clip in the pic below:

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X