Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise control issues

Hi all,

Towing the tinny and some camping gear up the coast, cruise control set to 95km. Going up hills and the car loses all power and slowed down to about 60 before I turned the cruise control off and all was ok. This happened another 3 or 4 times. Then decided not to use it at all.

Does anyone have an idea. Apart from that the car didnt miss a beat.

Thanks for helping in advance.

Brian

What happens there is the cruise control can't maintain the speed so it cuts out. CC will cut out when speed reduces about 10% below what is set. Having it cut out like that while towing is common.
    To help the car what you can do is, when you approach a hill, use manual select and drop it down a gear. The extra revs will keep CC engaged for longer and put less strain on the drive train. Or you can just put your foot on the throttle and give it a little extra at the start of the hill.

There's nothing wrong with your car, that's the way it's supposed to work.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
      What happens there is the cruise control can't maintain the speed so it cuts out. CC will cut out when speed reduces about 10% below what is set. Having it cut out like that while towing is common.
      To help the car what you can do is, when you approach a hill, use manual select and drop it down a gear. The extra revs will keep CC engaged for longer and put less strain on the drive train. Or you can just put your foot on the throttle and give it a little extra at the start of the hill.

There's nothing wrong with your car, that's the way it's supposed to work.
      This is true but Brian is talking about it STAYING in cruise down to 60kph. The cruise will change down to keep speed up just same as you describe manually.
      Something is wrong with Cruise Control, not changing down & not shedding cruise when below about 65-70 after a minute or two.
      What motor? My DiD has no trouble handling hills in cruise with a 2.5 tonne van.

Comment

My NL Petrol used to cut out after shedding about 10%, going up the hill near Ourimbah on the F3/M1.

This current beast doesn't slow down at all on the same hill. I think it surprises some of these flash little mobile coffins, as it overtakes them going up!
        Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

Cruise

Thanks for the input. Its the 3.5l v6. Scared crap out of me on the first hill. Thought i threw a gearbox. Haha. Yeah i just didnt use the cruise for the last 300k or so.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

yeah it should auto kick down to maintain the speed..

something not quite right.
            My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

Mine drops out on the downshift to 3rd
              MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
              Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
              http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png

Comment

Yes it will auto downshift, to a point. It won't maintain speed up very steep hills with a load on the back.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                  Yes it will auto downshift, to a point. It won't maintain speed up very steep hills with a load on the back.
                  The cruise is pretty smart. It will downshift to any gear that is sensible for the speed set. At 110 mine readily changes from lockup to 5th then 4th but it wont go to 3rd no doubt because of revs. But at 90 mine has gone to 3rd.
                  There does seem to be a grey area on long inclines where the speed slowly drops back 6-8 kph & the cruise doesn't drop back but eventually drops out instead. It is easy to be unconscious of it til you are suddenly out of accelleration.

Comment

Cruise

Thanks for the replies. Well i finally got back today. After the issue of dropping out on the way up the coast i thought i would try it again on the way home. Damn thing did not miss a beat in 800km. Even going up moonee bridge. The only thing i changed was did not put the swags on top of the car. Put them in the boat. Guess wind drag may have been a slight issue. Still not convinced though. But do know fuel went from 19.87 on the way up. To a reasonable 15.2 for the return trip.

Either way awesome trip to pebbly beach all the same.

Thanks for your input fellow members.

Thanks
                    Brian

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X