Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM shock bush replacements

Hi team. Not long till christmas.

I'm looking to replace my front lower shock bushes in my 3.5 NM 2000. I've got Tough Dog shocks as the previous owner raised the car and I'm looking for rubber bushes if I can find them after calling 2 dealers they told me it doesn't have bushes...I'm not sure what that means. Does upgrading the suspension change the struts to shocks?
    Where can I buy rubber bushes? My next try would be a tough dog dealer....

Mik
    2000 NM Pajero - Petrol. Bull Bar, 2" lift, dual battery, rear bar and other bits and pieces.

have a look at the bottom of the front strut / shockie. is the front hub arm bolted directly to it or does the bottom of the front shockie / strut have a rounded base with a bolt going throug it into the front hub unit ? are the bottoms abit the same as the rear shocks ?
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Hi. It looks to me like they have an eyelet with a bolt going through. The rears are TD adjustable shocks but I have to check if they are the same as the fronts.the front shock is in the coil.

Mik
      2000 NM Pajero - Petrol. Bull Bar, 2" lift, dual battery, rear bar and other bits and pieces.

Comment

Mine has a U shaped bracket mounted to lower control arm the shocker/strut fits into this bracket, there is a eyelet at bottom of shocker with a bush in it.
        So its a bush but dont know if they can be changed you may have to try the dealer.
        Rick
        Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
        New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

yes get onto the dealer for new bushings as normally the old are pressed out and the new re pressed back in.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Reason they may be stuffed is if they haven't been installed correctly as the strut will want to twist when moving up and down. The top bolt must be in line with middle of bush, even if it's out 5mm it will destroy the bush.

Leo

Comment

And the lower bolt must only be tightened when the car is on the ground and the suspension is in it's normal rest position.
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Here is a picture of the front right.
                It used to squeak a whole lot when I would push down on front but I sprayed some silicone grease into the lower shock mounts and the squeak has gone. Who knows how long..

I'm really confused as to whether there is a bush in there or not and if I can replace it?

Mik

Attached Files

Comment

The bush is the part i have arrowed in green.
                  It is inside the mounting bracket, hard to see without removing lower end of the strut.
                  If the bush is really worn, you should be able to get a fair bit of movement just grabbing and twisting the bottom of the strut.

Chris
                  Attached Files
                  2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.

Comment

At full articulation, does the strut hit the upper control arm or is there space between them?
                    To me it looks as if bush is stuffed but that's just looking at picture, the bushes can usually be pressed out and replaced, I know Dobinsons ones can be.

Comment

yes as in pic with green line. this is the rubber bushing with a steel tube in the center to where the main bolt goes through. as mentioned this bushing needs to be pressed out and the new bushing pressed in. its an easy job and can be done with a suitable sized / strong vice and some tool sockets if you want to replace these yourself . might be easier to just take the shocks and new bushings to any mechanical workshop and get them to replace these.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. I have suspicion it's that bush that's shot.
                        Here's what it looks like. What do you think?

Mik
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yes it's stuffed, make sure strut is aligned correctly when putting back in.

Comment

Thanks catchin jack.

Mik

Comment

No worries mate, only just been through all this and learnt a lot from installer and Dobinsons on front struts. If not done 100% correct it can cause all sorts of problems, only a few mm out on mounting them and it'll destroy the bushes.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X