Double Din

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Din

Well after 160,000Km's, I suffered the dreaded stacker failure. So time for some research on a double din to replace it. In the end I opted for a Dig Options Platinum unit primarilly due to the fact it comes with both Igo street and OziCE off road navigation.

Plenty of threads on here about moving the A/C controls to the stacker slot. About the only thing I would mention is that it is a PITA and the vent selector cable is just too short to be effective. I shimmed it out on the piss, but still couldn't get that cable just right, but its good enough as I still get full control.

Anyway, onto the unit Itself:

Whilst its no hard core unit, its not to bad really. Especially for the price. 4 x 45W into crappy oem speakers. In all reality, I haven't had music playing whilst driving for some few years now (I'm becoming an old fart I guess) so it'll do me. It will be great for keeping the young un amused on those long road trips (damn I hate playschool, Hi-5, wiggles etc). That was the primary use of the old stacker.

Lots of options I could have utilised but didn't. EG Ipod input (stupid apple product), 3G, Hard Drive, rear monitor etc.

What I did utilise though

Tuner:

32Gb SD card media:

USB Media. Mounted in glovebox:

Street nav via Igo. Offroad via OziCE:

And Ozi in action:

Reverse Cam input:

The proprietors are overseas atm. Originally they sent the wrong adaptor cable, but even when they were offshore, they answered my email and had the correct one sent out. So you cant fault that customer service.

Still a few bugs to iron out. The antenna control is a bit sus. Manually turning the unit off retracts the antenna. Turning off by ignition switch does not. Also noted when I made a bluetooth handsfree call, I couldn't end the call. So with luck the customer service continues and I get replys on how to solve these issues. I would also like to have the antenna retract and the radio switch off when in offroad Nav and when using SD/USB media. Dont really want my aerial up when plunging through the scrub. I only want it up when the tuner is in action. Will be interesting to see how the Nav goes. Personally I feel the 7" on the windscreen mount will be much easier to use and view whilst driving. If I cant resolve the antenna issue when running ozi, I guess the 7" wont be thrown out. Put a clamp meter on the battery, unit appears to draw about 1.5A with 2.4A being drawn in total in the accessory position. Shouldn't kill a battery having the radio on for a few hours at that rate.

So now my LCD reverse camera monitor is obsolete, I felt I better move my EGT to a better place:

And finally, thanks to a lead on the forum I finished the day off with LED projector reverse globes:

Now anxiously awaiting darkness to see if I can actually see in the dark.
    Last edited by sharkcaver; 18-07-14, 10:08 PM.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Well the leds light up the garage pretty good

Pic looks better than what the eye see's, but its a vast improvement by far.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Looks good sharkcaver, I'm going down same route for my ns was looking at jbhifi but after adding steering wheel controls and fascia and wiring loom a $700 unit becomes a $1300 unit

Comment

Nice work Shane, once the bugs are sorted it should be a great addition to the paj
        NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

Originally posted by mickbro View Post
          Looks good sharkcaver, I'm going down same route for my ns was looking at jbhifi but after adding steering wheel controls and fascia and wiring loom a $700 unit becomes a $1300 unit
          Ouch. This was sub $500.

Originally posted by Onslow
          Nice work Shane, once the bugs are sorted it should be a great addition to the paj
          Cheers!

My Journeys

Comment

I did the same to mine installed a Puoneer App radio. Bent the cable in the process got the heater 12 months later still no heater lol , though cable is in my glove box for at least 6 months
            NP 04 DiD GLS, Dual batteries, 2" lift, egr blank, 265 75 16 General Grabbers, nudge bar Narva 200 spotties, Double Din conversion.

Comment

Sharkcaver did you get camera from digoptions and where did you mount it

Comment

Shane,

I simply modded my aerial button (where you select halfway or fully Up) to make the mast either Fully up, or stay down.
                SImple as taking one pin of the wiring out the back of the plug.

This way I can make sure its completely down when in the scrub, as on the last car I changed deck and the aerial always stayed up and I ended up bending 2 masts, until I put in a manual override switch in that car too.

May be another option for you.
                05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

If I cant sort it through software, I may put an over ride switch in. You'll have to give me detail on the plug wiring as to which pin to pull.

My Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by mickbro View Post
                    Sharkcaver did you get camera from digoptions and where did you mount it
                    No the camera has been there for a few years now. I just inputted its video out to the unit. Mines installed on the rear bumper, but I really need one of those number plate replacement units. ATM it gets blocked when the off road hitch is installed so for hitching up, its useless where it is.

My Journeys

Comment

I'd be keen to know which wire to pull on the antenna switch... My otherwise excellent Sony XAV-701BT head unit raises antenna if it's on. I rarely listen to the FM radio really.
                      Adelaide
                      2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

Looks good Shane, I've often wondered about these units, and if they are any good. The Audio quality isn't such a big issue for me, so long as it isn't total shite! Will be interested in your thoughts once you've lived with it for awhile.
                        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

Originally posted by Darwiniandude View Post
                          I'd be keen to know which wire to pull on the antenna switch... My otherwise excellent Sony XAV-701BT head unit raises antenna if it's on. I rarely listen to the FM radio really.
                          x2.

The new unit looks good Shane. I find using the screen for navigation ok, but it is a bit fiddly when playing around with waypoints etc.
                          NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

just to add my two cents
                            dont mount reverse camera at the number plate
                            i had mine in that spot at first it seemed ok but after awhile (not that i use it much) i realised that the ofset by being located to the side was a hindrance
                            its now mounted above my tow mount

Comment

Originally posted by roby02 View Post
                              just to add my two cents
                              dont mount reverse camera at the number plate
                              i had mine in that spot at first it seemed ok but after awhile (not that i use it much) i realised that the ofset by being located to the side was a hindrance
                              its now mounted above my tow mount
                              Cheers for that. problem I have is the ozhitch sits very high (to make the camper level) so I don't have a lot of spots left to choose from

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X