X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail/Brake lights

Has anyone connected the upper brake/tail lights and how did you do it
    JR
    04 NP Exceed 3.2 DID Tough Dog Springs, Bilsteins, ECB Alloy Bar, Cargo Barrier, IPF Driving Lights, Inter Cooler Sump and Transmission Guards and Copper ST

Yes, I've done mine. There's more involved that just connecting. You need to get globe holders and then cut holes in the existing blanked off area to fit them in. I got globe holders from the wrecker - not sure what they are from, but it's important to get ones that are (i) as short as possible in the 'back' part where the wires exit - there isn't much space between the tail light assembly and the body panel behind it, and (ii) have both positive and negative wires attached to facilitate wiring them up. After getting them a good snug fit in the hole I made, I also sealed with silicon to make them weather proof.

I used the top area for tail lights (10w), the clear part for blinkers (with orange 21w globes), and the bottom area for brakes (21w). The light isn't really as good as a standard fitting because the blanked off areas don't have a reflective backing and that's why I used 10w globes for the tail lights rather than 5w which is the standard. They now look about comparable brightness with a normal tail light. I'm thinking of getting a 32w globe for the nearside brake light, because it doesn't have a reflector like the offside does (originally a rear 'fog' light). Because I used the existing reversing light for one of the blinkers, I had to fit an aftermarket reversing light which I mounted on the towbar. They are compulsory under ADRs.

Regarding the wiring, I just linked it all into the existing tow plug socket which was the easiest way to get it done. All wiring protected by ribbed plastic tubing.

Final issue - is this legal? I really don't know, but if I get pulled over and have to pull it undone, not much of a problem. I can't see why it would be illegal because quite a few other 4WDs have both the lights in the car body and in the bumper like the Pajero. But the ADRs about light emissions, location, visibility etc etc are quite detailed and need a lot of analysis. I'm just taking a punt with mine.

Gaz
    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Thanks Gaz this should help me.
      JR
      JR
      04 NP Exceed 3.2 DID Tough Dog Springs, Bilsteins, ECB Alloy Bar, Cargo Barrier, IPF Driving Lights, Inter Cooler Sump and Transmission Guards and Copper ST

Comment

JR
        We had our NM done years ago by the local auto elec. $170 for parts and fitting so I thought that was an easy way to go.
        No probs with getting pulled over or checked re legality and if we had we still had the originals working anyway so I am sure it would have met a check.
        Rusty
        2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
        Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
        2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

Tail/Brake Lights

As posted to the old forum, I fitted the tail light assemblies from the new NS SWB Pajero to my 2005 NP. Or more accurately the repairer did after a minor accident smashed the left hand assembly and the bumper. No big issue doing it, with all wiring already fitted. Price for the NS assemblies was $331.00 each including GST. Insurance paid for 1, I paid for the other. Part Nos. 8330A358 RHS, 8330A357 LHS. However, you do loose the rear right hand fog light.
          NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

More than I like to pay but thanks for the info
            JR

Comment

Do you think they would fit a 2002 nm?

Comment

NS SWB Tail Light Assemblies

I would be surprised if they did not also fit the NM Paj as the rear quarter panels appear to be the same NM to NP. The difference being the frame around the NM lights. But I suspect the space for the lights to fit into is identical, however mountings may be different but I doubt it. A simple check would be to take to the NM tail light assembly and mountings with a tape measure and then do a comparo to an NS SWB lights. This probably would mean that NP tail light assemblies would also fit into the NM (but obviously achieves nothing). I have the right hand NP tail light assembly sitting in the garage from the repairs.
                NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

Be aware that the NS LWB taillight units are very diferent to the NS SWB tailight units.
                  Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Thanks i will check.

Comment

I have asked two mitsubishi dealers about the story behind the brake lights and whether they can connect up the extra two lights.

1) The first dealer told me that the reason they lower lights were used for australian pajeros was that the spare tyre blocked the tail lights when viewed from certain angles and hence did not meet Australian design regulations here. At certain angle the middle lights are blocked however the angle are extreme from the side of the car.
                      2) The second dealer told me that Mitsubishi couldnt connect up all 5 tail lights (one on rear window, two middle and two in bumper) as the Australian design regulations did not allow to have 5 brake lights on the back of a car.

I have not seen these regulations so can't comment further here. Assuming both above are correct then in order to meet the design regulatiions requires you to leave the lights as is. However like many owners I dont think the factory setup is that ideal. Whether any police or transport depts would be concerned about the additional lights, I don't know.
                      2009 NT Diesel Pajero.

Comment

Prados have five rear brake lights, so the story about it being against ADR is a crock, unless Toyota are shipping non-ADR compliant Prados. About 2 years ago I contacted MMA direct with the question and was fed the same line.

ADR require lights in the bumper because of the viewing angles with the offset rear tyre on the NM/NP, but using this as an excuse to not wire up the other lights is either a cost-cutting exercise, or gross mis-understanding of the intent of the relevant ADR by someone at MMA.
                        Ben

Comment

Hi PeterGT i have done my NM Pajero. I think it has saved the odd rear ender here and there when people tailgate me. Dont thing the authorities would mind really. If anything it makes it safer.

Regards

Comment

howdy wrexed. Thanks for info
                            2009 NT Diesel Pajero.

Comment

Tail Lights

The rear ender issue is certainly one of the considerations of why I did the lights in mine. Having followed the misses in the Paj while I was driving our other car (89 Camry), I noted that the bumper mounted brake lights are low, the window mounted one high and there is really nothing in the immediate front field of view from a standard sedan.

The other thing that really annoyed me about the standard lights, is being told about a dozen times - "Mate your brake lights don't work".

In my opinion anything that assists with reducing reaction time of the driver behind, has to reduce the likelyhood of being rear ended.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X