Engine Brake Assist Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Brake Assist Control

New to Pajero's, Can anyone tell me, when did MMA install EBAC into the NP Diesel Pajero's, or what speed does it activate at. Been down so steep hills in low range, but at slow speed.
    had a 1994 pathfinder v6 before this, was very happy with it, but it just got to old. Not impressed with the new pathfinder. Went with the Pajero, glad i did,very happy with it, just love to drive it everywhere. just another question, my pajero is an auto. the convertor seems to unlock at the slightest slope, is this normal or not.
    it has done 80000km. will changing the tranny oil make a difference at the 90000km service. thank everyone for their replys
    1st month 2004 GLS Pajero 3.2 diesel, auto, ecb bullbar, compact ralley 4000's, towbar,Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Pirelli ATR's,Homemade Bash Plates, Homemade Diff breathers.

I think with the diesel, yes the torque converter does unlock fairly readily (more so than the petrol), and there does also seem to be some variation between cars. It obviously also depends upon your speed. The torque converter also engages in 4th gear, so when you hit a hill (depending upon your speed) go to tiptronic and select 4th (works well for me, @70-80km/h, Petrol NM.)

Definitely change the tranny oil, and make sure you use the Mitsu oil, the transmission is very fussy about the oil it gets.

Comment

You will need to teach it to change down from 5th to 4th. I find also if you hit the brakes a few times (3-5 times) it engages and/or changes down if your on a down slop.
      --
      Marquis
      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

When you get the transmission fluid change, it's a good idea to have them change all the fluid, not just what comes out when the plug is removed. That's only about half of the total fluid. Most places have equipment to do it, or it can be done as described in the relevant section of the manual you can access here:

http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00001000-00.pdf

Gaz
        2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

I think Pathy is asking about something different...... You mean like the system in a late series II LR Discovery where you start to descend a steep slope in low range and the car controls the brakes / motor to control the rate of descent - without driver input? Fairly sure the NP does not have this - at least I cant find it in the manual in mine. On the LR you had to engage it with a button on the dash, and it wasnt that good anyway.

Re the convertor unlocking - Are you running 75 series tyres? Some owners reported this in the previous forum when running the larger rolling diameter tyres. The lockup is electronically controlled, and while regular fluid changes are important I dont think this will fix your complaint.

Pat
          16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
          10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
            I think Pathy is asking about something different...... You mean like the system in a late series II LR Discovery where you start to descend a steep slope in low range and the car controls the brakes / motor to control the rate of descent - without driver input? Fairly sure the NP does not have this - at least I cant find it in the manual in mine. On the LR you had to engage it with a button on the dash, and it wasnt that good anyway.

Re the convertor unlocking - Are you running 75 series tyres? Some owners reported this in the previous forum when running the larger rolling diameter tyres. The lockup is electronically controlled, and while regular fluid changes are important I dont think this will fix your complaint.

Pat
            Pat, that is what i am talking about, in the pajero brochures, for the last NP ( late 2004 to 2006) and NS mention EBAC (Engine Brake Assist Control) and it is on the MMA web site in the videos. It is part of the MATT technology. It comes on automatically when descending steep slopes in 4llc. It is not listed in my Manual, but neither is the hill hold assist, but i have it.

I have 265/70R16, travelling at 100kms i am doing 1800rpm, come to the leastest slope the revs go up to 2200kms till i am over the rise and the going is easy again. hope that explains it a bit better
            Pathy
            1st month 2004 GLS Pajero 3.2 diesel, auto, ecb bullbar, compact ralley 4000's, towbar,Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Pirelli ATR's,Homemade Bash Plates, Homemade Diff breathers.

Comment

Ok - haven't had our NP for long (NM previously) but expect to have it in some steep country this-weekend. Will see what it does.

You have the right size tyres. I don't own an auto but I also dont think it should drop the lockup too easily. I guess it could lead to burnt fluid it it is under regular heavy load (towing) as the torque convertor can heat the fluid considerably when it is unlocked. Might be to do with the adaptive learning - as mentioned above. Probably best to talk to a MMAL dealer.

Pat
              16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
              10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

The unlocking converter is slightly annoying but from many previous posts on the old forum, it is normal. Some reported that it even unlocked on flat terrain with trailer or headwind. My NP auto unlocks and performs as reported by Pathy. That seems normal rom others.
                There was forum talk about MMA changing the settings which would be useful but it was never reported.
                DiD WA
                '05 NP, ARB bar, CB, Magnum winch, 2" Kings, spots, racks, Coopers, underbody plate, aux tank..

Comment

Back to the other question,Can anyone tell me, when did MMA install EBAC into the NP Diesel Pajero's, what speed does it activate at. Been down some steep slippery hills in low range, at slow speed, low range. But nothing was activated. Contacted MMA, gave them my VIN number. All they could tell me was they think I should have it. Could not tell what speed it is activated at. Does anyone know?
                  Pathy

Comment

Hi Pathy,

I have manage some very steep down hill descents in my NP DiD auto. It tends to apply braking to one particular wheel at a time. Not sure if it's just compression lock up on that wheel or the braking system doing something. Only had mine for 2 months and still don't trust a computer to do the descend for me. I tend to use the left foot break technique. Stop at the top of the decline, leave left foot firmly, but not too hard on the brake and use the throtle to mov the car down the hill. Just takes a bit to get your head around using the throttle to reduce your speed. If you're goin too fast, slowly let the throttle off keeping the same brake pressure. Since the engine is driving you out of the brakes you should not lock up any wheel.

Give it a go on some easy declines to get used to it and you should find it invaluable.

Ben
                    MY05 NP Pajero GLX DiD, 5 speed auto, 2" Lift, Tait TM8115 UHF

Comment

Hi Ben, what month is your NP. I don't have a problem going down steep hills, i just want to know if my NP has hill descent control. thanks for the advice though. bit like applying your handbrake when one of your rear wheels is spinning to transfer power to the other one. When you have a open diff or a weak lsd.
                      Last edited by Pathy; 21-08-07, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Build date is 11/04 Pretty sure they have descent control

Comment

Hi Pathy,

The EBAC is designed to control a loss of engine bracking due to a wheel in the air resulting in all drive disappearing through that wheel. It only operates in 4LLC as you identified when descending a slope. It is not a form of hill descent control as per a land rover, some toyota's etc. It will not control your descent speed if all wheels are in contact with the ground.
                          You will still need to control your descent speed via engine braking / judicious use of the foot brake.

It has functioned on my MY05 NP Petrol (build date 09/04) several times. I am pretty sure it was available on the NP diesel before the petrol.

I hope this explanation helps.
                          Last edited by linou; 21-08-07, 09:34 PM.
                          Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

Give this a read.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...n?OpenDocument

Comment

EBAC introduction date

I have in my possession a "product info bulletin" from mitsubishi, that details major features for the MY05 pajero.This states that MATT is now standard on every pajero this includes EBAC, the first pajeros to get this were made from june 2004.
                              Hope this helps
                              Don

MY05 GLS 5sp Manual 3.2L Diesel. Front, Rear ARB Lockers, Out of Town Long Ranger Auxillary Fuel Tank, Black Widow Drawer System. Steinbauer Chip. Rhino Roof Rack, Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ tyres. TJM underbody protection

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X