NM 3.5 exhaust manifold problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM 3.5 exhaust manifold problems

Hi all - i have the well documented problem of cracked manifolds (both). Car has travelled 170k so they have lasted ok i guess. Down here in Hobart the best price for a set of Wildcat (made by Geneie) Extractor fitted is $680.

I am guessing that other people have had this problem, and recell it featured on the old forums.

Is this a competative price or should i haggle some more?

Matt
    2001 NM Exceed 3.5 auto, OME suspension,extractors, PIAA H4 combination driving / fog lights, Factory Alloy Bar, BFG's, dark dark tint !! - love this car !

Price sounds alright. There are a pair of factory manifolds on ebay right now - listed for the second time I think. But if it was me I would go the headders.
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Good price go the headers. NM was prone to doing manifolds. I have replaced one of mine.. Next time around headers for sure.

Regards

Comment

Thanks for that - booked in today - pickup at 3. Will et you know what i think

Matt
        2001 NM Exceed 3.5 auto, OME suspension,extractors, PIAA H4 combination driving / fog lights, Factory Alloy Bar, BFG's, dark dark tint !! - love this car !

Comment

I just went and bought some Nickel Arc welding rod and welded the manifold up on mine and it cost me a total of about 2 hours of my own time and 10 bucks for the welding rod.
          03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Do the headers give any extra power on these engines?
            Are wildcat the only ones availabe?
            NP 3.5L
            16x7 ROH RTX Wheels
            265/75/16 MT FCII's

Comment

Well - all fitted - all the exhaust shops were quoting on the windcats - there was a huge variation in prices - from the $680 that i went for to over $1050.

Both were cracked (i thought it may have just been the RHS one - wrong....

Car (whether this is correct - or just in my head) does seem to go better, and when towing a 2 tonne trailer sailer today seemed to have more power.

Will advise on economy in next few days.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Matt

Comment

manifold crack

I'm new here just catching up with a bit of reading on NM and have some questions

does the NM have flexible joints in the exhaust sytem?

If not is this a reason they crack manifolds?

bruce

Comment

Does anyone have the part number for wildcat headers to fit an NP?
                  NP 3.5L
                  16x7 ROH RTX Wheels
                  265/75/16 MT FCII's

Comment

Believe it is WILD132

Comment

Thanks mate - just checking I was looking at the right set on the Genie headers website.

They are actualy listed as NJ headers ? might be a typo.
                      NP 3.5L
                      16x7 ROH RTX Wheels
                      265/75/16 MT FCII's

Comment

No flexible joints from memory so that could be a contributing factor. So too could be the different expansion rates between the alloy heads and cast manifolds.

Pat
                        16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
                        10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                          No flexible joints from memory so that could be a contributing factor. So too could be the different expansion rates between the alloy heads and cast manifolds.

Pat
                          plus.... heat and oxidation .....

Comment

flex joint

some good points there

Ive had cars now for over 40 years the last 20years they have been 4wd and in that time I have never ever had a cracked manifold. The last 3 have all had flexible joints so I would suspect vibration as the main cause. I may be wrong but I reckon I'll get one installed when I get my NM in a few weeks.

Comment

The invoice listed mine as WILD132 - NJ Pajero. Apparantly they fit all of the models from then ??

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X