NM Coolant Concentration Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM Coolant Concentration Recall

I was contacted by my dealer today who advised me that MMA have just released a recall which covers coolant concentration levels. Not sure if this affects NP's.

As far as I could ascertain they need to check the coolant system and possibly replace the radiator if it is damaged.

Mine is an October 2001 build. You might want to contact your dealer to see if this effects you.

Mike
    Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Hi Mike, I would hope that your NM has had a coolant change or two already? The coolant recall came out about 18 months ago or so. I have heard of many NM's (ours old one included) blocking up the radiator with gelled coolant and it was regularly discussed ont he old forum. It seems to only show up under adverse conditions shuch as towing mid summer. Ours did it well before the coolant recall and we had had the radiator core cleaned by then anyway. Mitsu refused to admit any connection between the coolant recall and the blocked radiator. It cost me all of $250 at Natrad to have it removed, tanks split and cleaned properly. When towing the boat up the mountains in 40 degree heat I considered that fairly cheap peace of mind.

Pat
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Thanks Pat. I thought it sounded familiar.

I tell you it is near impossible to find a decent dealer. When I bought the car I specifically asked them to go over the car and check to ensure all recalls had been seen to. They told me the only recall that applied to my car was the roof rack mounting issue.

Now they're just discovered this recall. Hopeless! I dispair...

Thanks for letting know. Off to find another dealer I guess.

Cheers,
      Mike
      Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

There are two other recalls for the NM. One is for the towbar gooseneck and the other one is for the brack booster.....

All depends on your VIN number.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

On the old forum I'm pretty sure I saw a FAQ that outlined various recalls. Has anyone seen it on this forum?

Comment

No - not on this new forum, but there is an RTA or GovCo website that shows them.

You wont find car manufacturers using the word "recall" unless it is a safety issue and one that they are going to rectify with a costly and potentially damaging (publicity) mass recall - ie the towbar goosneck or the brake booster problem. For other matters they use terms such as "Service Bulletin" and often these usually cover faults that will only be repaired should they prove to be a problem on that particular customers vehicle - eg the rear companion shafts that can pop loose from the diff housing, or the noisy power steering, or the front wheel bearing collapses. I suppose that's fair enough although there are times where a customer might have put up with the problem, or forked out money to rectify it only to find out that it was later covered by one of these. This was the case with our NM and the gelled coolant. I couldn't be bothered arguing and didnt want a half arsed job so chose to pay Natrad to do it properly (pull the radiator).

The other aspect is that you will rarely find a dealer who will either freely admit to these bulletins or connect them with an actual fault - eg AFAIK the coolant recall is not officially documented as being connected with gelled coolant / blocked radiator problems. At least they would not admit it to me. It's all about limiting both litigation and warranty claim costs. And it's not just MMAL doing it.
            16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
            10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Pat, thanks for the detailed explaination and background.

Comment

The early NP diesels had a recall to fit a larger fuel filler neck to allow the high flow pump nozzels to fit. Not sure why this was a recall as it's hardly a life threatening issue. But I didn't complain.
                This was definately a recall as I've got the sticker on the door jamb.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X