Dust Kit for NP 05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Kit for NP 05

On my last outback trip I gathered a lot of internal dust and was not pleased about it so I have a couple of questions.

Is the dust kit a warranty issue (in other words should MMA fix this under warranty)?

What is involved in a dust kit?

How long should it take to be implemented?

dust kit

Wal, had similar problems with my 04NP DiD. Dust was so thick on one trip I opened the windows to see the road ! The rear dust seals are just a small rubber flap, and my rear left side had fallen down. If you remove the two screws holding the rear light assembly, you can see the rubber flap down below the rear bumper panel. Looks flimsy and it is so don't touch , mine seemed to do reasonably ok until that one trip. Took the vehicle to the dealer (was still under warranty) with all the dust still inside - very important to show the problem. I was expecting a problem getting it looked at, but very happy with a prompt effort to fit a "dust seal kit" under warranty. They had the vehicle for three days, and I believe every panel in the rear was removed, including the door panels. While I had to fiddle some of these panels back into place, subsequent trips have confirmed that the kit works, and the vehicle is better than it originally was for keeping dust out. I do believe there was other work around the wheel arches as well as the kit fitting but this was not admitted at the time. The three days was for the "unmentioned" sealant work to dry out.
    Worth the effort to have the dust seal kit fitted. Can send pictures if you send an e-mail
    Cheers

Comment

Had the same problem with mine. Called the local dealer and they installed the dust kit 3 days as well with no problems.

Now no more dust!!!
      2005 PLATINUM EDITION 3.8 V6, COOPER ST'S LOVELL SPRINGS, BILSTEIN SHOCKS, ARB WINCH BAR, MAGNUM WINCH, LIGHTFORCE SPOTTIES,TJM BASH PLATES, SUMP GUARD, TRANSMISSION GUARD, DUAL BATTERY, 60 LTR TRAIL BLAZER FRIDGE

Comment

Hi Wal.
        I went out to Camerons Corner in July & had a similiar dust problem to you.I found that there was 2 wires coming through the rear dust seal area, removed them & still the dust problem exists(even worse).
        Have you been back to the dealer? I live at Tweed Heads & will approach local dealer next week.
        Vince

2011 NT. Now to transfer dual batteries, fridge slide, uhf & slider plates from previous NP.
        Gulf pop top outback caravan.Solar panels, off road hitch, bayonet fitting for outside cooking & yamaha EF2000.

Comment

1533rl.
          Hi.
          Can you send me some photos please to: [email protected].
          Thanks.
          Vince

2011 NT. Now to transfer dual batteries, fridge slide, uhf & slider plates from previous NP.
          Gulf pop top outback caravan.Solar panels, off road hitch, bayonet fitting for outside cooking & yamaha EF2000.

Comment

I'm having a dust kit fitted to my 05 Paj on Thursday & friday this week, 16 Hrs to do. The inspection from Mits service centre came back saying that it definitely needed the dust kit, but they needed the approval from Mits to do this as this problem was supposed to be fixed in the Nov 05 built Paj & onward, one week later & they had the approval.
            Yippy this is great as it Took me a good 3Hrs to clean the interior free of dust from the last outing, hope everything goes back together the same!!

Cheers Gary
            Dual Battery
            80Ltr Waeco
            91Ltr Longrange Tank
            3" Lovells/Bilstein
            3” Exhaust
            Winch
            NP 05 DID

Comment

Maybe I should'nt have done such a detailed job of my interior... No evidence now Will ask dealer next week when it's in for the aircon hose recall.

Comment

Having worked for a Mits dealer for a long time and having seen the results of dust ingress and the fitting of dust kits to (from a fading memory) 02s, 03s & 04s I am surprised that the problem is still happening in 05 models.

Back when I was involved it was a large and expensive job to do a full dust kit properly and for this reason I thought the problem would have been fixed.

My own MY04 NP had it done and being there I was able to see the work.

I don't know if its changed but Mitso's attitude was to always fix it but only if the customer complained, the logic being that lots of owners never took their Paj's onto dusty roads so would never be aware of the problem, interesting but logical strategy.
                NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

I haven't had any dust problems....... yet (only a few short trips on dirt) but have my Alice trip in 3 weeks. This includes a run along the Plenty Highway out through the West McDonnel ranges and the Merrinee? Loop and I'm guessing the bulldust will be thick in areas.

Should I hit up the local MM dealer for a warranty job (05 March built model).

Cheers

sev

Comment

Re dust kit if the vehicle is still in warranty they will sort it. If not your on your own. I discussed this issue with Mitsu in SA actually i wrote a letter to them and someone contacted me regarding this. Unfortunatly i was unsuccesful and i also mentioned that both my kids are asthmatic which did not help in regards to getting this rectified. They will fix it if you pay them.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                      I haven't had any dust problems....... yet (only a few short trips on dirt) but have my Alice trip in 3 weeks. This includes a run along the Plenty Highway out through the West McDonnel ranges and the Merrinee? Loop and I'm guessing the bulldust will be thick in areas.

Should I hit up the local MM dealer for a warranty job (05 March built model).

Cheers

sev
                      Hi Sev, I do'nt think you will get the dust kit put in (under Warranty)by request.
                      They will need to inspect your vehicle first & go from there.
                      Dual Battery
                      80Ltr Waeco
                      91Ltr Longrange Tank
                      3" Lovells/Bilstein
                      3” Exhaust
                      Winch
                      NP 05 DID

Comment

Hi Guys,

My car isn't under warranty anymore (2002 NM), I was wondering if it would be possible to do the dust kit installation myself. Wouild it possible to get/buy instructions on how to do it? Thanks!
                        AdrianP
                        2014 NW Exceed, 2015 NX GLS

Comment

Hi Adrian. I have a 2002 and was getting dusty, but was OOW. The local MM dealer offered me the hardware kit for $110. Apparently it's a 12 hr job, but 75% of the problem is the back door and dust flaps. This bit can be done easily enough as long as you have some patience. They couldn't however get me the instructions. Perhaps someone from the forum could help with that.

I ended up getting the whole thing fitted after some contracted negotiations with MMA and I met them halfway. It was a couple of years ago though.
                          ...Neil

Comment

Rang the local MM dealer and as Garygls suggested they wont replace it until it fails, bugger. I told them what I was doing and asked them if I come back with the car full of **it and corruption would they pay to have the car detailed seeing that its a known problem,they basically said yes, although I have my doubts.

Until that moment arrives is there anything that anyone can suggest to try and cut the dust ingress down as much as possible i.e gaffer tape,towels, rags, close/open rear windows or fresh airvent etc.

Spares- are there any parts in particular that anyone would take on a trip like this..

Cheers

Sev

Comment

Hi Newbie,

Firstly spares, I always carry fan belts, radiator hoses and mostly an oil filter plus the ususal bits & peices of tools, gaff tape, cable ties, wire & cutters etc.

As to the dust proofing yourself;
                              - very thin foam strip tucked or poked in around the joint where the rear cargo door trim meets the rear windscreen is good (part of the MMAL kit)
                              - If you can access the door preasure release flaps at each corner of the rear bumper and seal most of them up, that helps a lot (they may have changed design on later models than mine) (also part of the MMAL process).
                              - Anywhere there are access holes in doors cover with a tape.

Hope this helps
                              NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X