Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paj -a protector of the unskilled, and some questions

Hi,
    Due to kids' school/ activities etc only this weekend we are able to finally attend the 4WD driver's training, and wooooow, that car (at least the NP model as that's what we have) is quite a wonder. There were 12 or so of us in the convoy (class), and I was the only one with Paj, the rest was Prados, LC100, Hiluxes, and Patrols. Not that the others are not good, but for me being a beginner, I was helped so often by the Traction Control, when trying all those hair raising downhill descent (we almost stood on the firewall), uphill on loose and slippery slopes, working hard and narrow terrains. That car never missed a beat and at least on 3 occasions I knew full well I made it thanks to the technology and good luck more than the driver's skill. Now it seems so relevant all those talks about diff breather extension, bullbar, towbar, mild suspension lift, snorkel. I am sure the Toyotas, Nissans, Mitsubishis, etc each all have it's own strength and weaknesses but surely I was impressed by the Paj! Over the radio on that day I was referred to as "the guy with traction control"

Following that comment above, I wonder if anybody could please share on the following points. Please note my aim is for a light / medium 4WDing and touring, maybe focusing on short term (weekends or a couple of days) trips (no Simpson Desert etc).

1. Towbar. I definitely plan to install a hitch/receiver style mainly for rear recovery point so please, if have any comments, recommendations. I got 2 quotes, Hayman Reese and ARB Towmaster. The ARB guy told it is a heavy duty unit, haven't asked what it means. The H. Reese guy told it is rated at 2.5 tons.

2. Bull bar and mild suspension lift
    Now this is more a "wish list" for me. The idea is for a winch bar (although the winch is not really planned, but "just in case"). It is expected for improved front-end protection.
    As for the lift is both to offset the heavier nose and maybe a bit more than usual gear in the cargo area, as well as for slightly increased ramp over and overall ground clearance.

Any comments / suggestions? brands, models? Experience from others?

I am sorry these are fairly wide and open ended questions, and some might say they'd need to run a course to answer. Also by the way, I don't work for Mitsu, don't get anything whatsoever, just in case some wondering why I am so "excited" about the MATT

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon

Following that comment above, I wonder if anybody could please share on the following points. Please note my aim is for a light / medium 4WDing and touring, maybe focusing on short term (weekends or a couple of days) trips (no Simpson Desert etc).

Answer Get hold of the book "4wd treks close to sydney" " boiling billy publication, It a goos book with many easy to medium 4wd day and weekend treks.

1. Towbar. I definitely plan to install a hitch/receiver style mainly for rear recovery point so please, if have any comments, recommendations. I got 2 quotes, Hayman Reese and ARB Towmaster. The ARB guy told it is a heavy duty unit, haven't asked what it means. The H. Reese guy told it is rated at 2.5 tons.

Answer The Hayman reece bar is the way to go it also has a secong advantage, if you go sand driving it prevents the rear bumper filling up with sand and being pulled off. I also use the hitch for a recovery point

2. Bull bar and mild suspension lift
    Now this is more a "wish list" for me. The idea is for a winch bar (although the winch is not really planned, but "just in case"). It is expected for improved front-end protection.
    As for the lift is both to offset the heavier nose and maybe a bit more than usual gear in the cargo area, as well as for slightly increased ramp over and overall ground clearance.

Any comments / suggestions? brands, models? Experience from others?

Answer I have fitted a TJM sump guard and left the height and tyres std , so it doesn't effect the noise/ride/economy of a great vehicle.

Cheers Muzza
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Just a question Slight off topic but how do you know if you have traction control on a 03 NP exceed?
      NP 03 Exceed. 3.5l petrol. Injected LPG. 2in lift, Poly air at rear, custom rear storage, 10 wheeels, 5 tyres looking for some new tyres,

Comment

Originally posted by sinbad View Post
        Just a question Slight off topic but how do you know if you have traction control on a 03 NP exceed?
        If its a 3.5 Petrol the answer is No.
        If its a 3.8 petrol the answer is Yes
        If its a 3.2 diesel the answer is Yes.
        Cheers Muzza
        Muzza
        2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.

LH Torana

Comment

Sump guard and Traction Control

Hi Muzza, thanks for the clear answer. Your idea of sump guard is really brilliant! Will check with TJM on that one. Got a quote of $490 for Hayman Reese hitch/receiver towbar this morning and most likely will organize that in a couple of weeks time, just ahead of our small trips again later this year.

My NP is the 3.8l petrol auto, and my understanding is that it has the MATT (Mitsubishi All Terrain Technology or something like that), and it includes Traction Control, Stability Control, and even Hill Descent Control albeit I heard it only works on the front wheels. I definitely felt it was sure-footed when I had to stand on the firewall during the steep descent last weekend. I also know for sure the traction control brakes the wheels when they start loosing tractions...maybe I thought I know for sure There is also the blinking signal on the dash indicating it is in operation.

Best regards,

Comment

Hi Muzza.
            I have an ex Vict. police NP gls 3.2 manual fitted with bull bar, winch & dual batteries etc.
            The front end was a little sagged when I bought it so it now has a set of King springs & Bilstein shocks. A great all round package . Great for towing & off road work.
            Regards.
            Vince

2011 NT. Now to transfer dual batteries, fridge slide, uhf & slider plates from previous NP.
            Gulf pop top outback caravan.Solar panels, off road hitch, bayonet fitting for outside cooking & yamaha EF2000.

Comment

Muzza does that mean the lights that come on when i start the paj are just there for display.
              NP 03 Exceed. 3.5l petrol. Injected LPG. 2in lift, Poly air at rear, custom rear storage, 10 wheeels, 5 tyres looking for some new tyres,

Comment

Originally posted by sinbad View Post
                Muzza does that mean the lights that come on when i start the paj are just there for display.
                By that , are you saying you have a 3.5 Lt?, They dont have the traction control as you need to have an electronic throttle for engine control
                Muzza
                Muzza

LH Torana

Comment

Yep 03 3.5lt NP Exceed petrol.

When you start the engine a yellow light on the dash with a car and twisty road comes on then goes off.

Comment

H. Reese vs Mitsu "own"?

Hi Muzza,

Still more questions. Do you have any particular consideration / reason why you prefer toe Hayman Reese unit?

Also a friend of mine "threw in" something else. He recommended the Mitsubishi "own" towbar. I'm sure it is made by somebody else, just like when I purchased the Mitsubishi cargo barrier, what I got is the Milford unit. So, does anybody know where Mitsu sources their towbars from?

I checked Mitsu today and it'll cost me almost double to get "their" towbar. OK, I suppose then Mitsu cannot point finger to anybody else in case something goes wrong (warranty void etc), but the price hike is a little "painful".

Regards,

Jonathan

Comment

Muzza,

What about an M04 (8/03) NP GLX 3.8 auto, I believed only ABS & ASC, no traction control ?

Borgy
                      Borgy

Standard NW GLX-R 3.2 Auto.........nothin to flash

Comment

I have the genuine Mitsubishi bar on my NM and tow a heavy load (2300-2400kg)frequently. The bars are made by Frontline for Mitsubishi, and to my way of thinking are a high quality item. Also they are normally supplied with all hardware and wiring harness etc, ready to plug into the car's wiring harness - no need to cut into looms etc.

I'm also a member of various caravanning forums and there have been a few reports recently of ill-fitting HR bars for Mitsubishi vehicles, whereas the genuine article fits with no adjustments needed.

Gaz
                        2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
                          By that , are you saying you have a 3.5 Lt?, They dont have the traction control as you need to have an electronic throttle for engine control
                          Muzza
                          Not quite correct, you only need the electronic throttle for stability control, this is separate to traction control. All NP Exceeds had traction control, only the DiD had stability control though until the 3.8L came out and then it also got stability control

Comment

[QUOTE=jm2004;3940]Hi Muzza,

Still more questions. Do you have any particular consideration / reason why you prefer toe Hayman Reese unit?

The tow bar on the Pajero is the Mitsu "Frontline" 2500Kg unit the level hitch is hayman
                            muzza
                            Muzza

LH Torana

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X