Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Locker for 2005 v6 NP

Hi All

My Paj goes pretty much every where we want it to go. We are a also a member of the Caloundra City 4WD club and do a fair bit of off roading.

Has anyone any thoughts of getting a front locker ARB. Would this upset the already good traction control etc. Any info would be great.

Nick
    2005 PLATINUM EDITION 3.8 V6, COOPER ST'S LOVELL SPRINGS, BILSTEIN SHOCKS, ARB WINCH BAR, MAGNUM WINCH, LIGHTFORCE SPOTTIES,TJM BASH PLATES, SUMP GUARD, TRANSMISSION GUARD, DUAL BATTERY, 60 LTR TRAIL BLAZER FRIDGE

It's on my wish list. I hear they are pretty unstopable. Although it would be nice to have a rear locker as well. Not sure if they'll give you better performance over your MATT system. Although it really depends on what kind of stuff you're into.
    Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

Originally posted by nicko View Post
      Hi All

My Paj goes pretty much every where we want it to go. We are a also a member of the Caloundra City 4WD club and do a fair bit of off roading.

Has anyone any thoughts of getting a front locker ARB. Would this upset the already good traction control etc. Any info would be great.

Nick
      It won't upset the traction control. Traction control works by monitoring the tyres speeds using the same sensors that the ABS uses. If it detects a tyre spinning faster than the others it will brake the spinning wheel, which effectively transfers more drive to non-spinning wheels. A diff lock will mean that wheels spin less often, so the traction control doesn't need to activate as often.

I don't recall if the current MATT also cuts power when it detects wheel spin. If it does, that's another benefit of a diff-lock - more power more often.

In a worst case scenario of sustained use (soft sand, long and loose hill climbs) the actuator which applies the brakes can over-heat, and the traction control stops working. With a diff lock, the chances of this happening are significantly reduced; if it does happen, you're not left with open differentials front and rear.

If you can afford it, do it. Cost would be the only argument against it.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Thanks for the info. Very informative.

nicko
        2005 PLATINUM EDITION 3.8 V6, COOPER ST'S LOVELL SPRINGS, BILSTEIN SHOCKS, ARB WINCH BAR, MAGNUM WINCH, LIGHTFORCE SPOTTIES,TJM BASH PLATES, SUMP GUARD, TRANSMISSION GUARD, DUAL BATTERY, 60 LTR TRAIL BLAZER FRIDGE

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X