swaying trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swaying trailers

This is a response to Borgy's posting. The system doesn't seem to want reponses to be posted to it.

Typically a swaying trailer will be caused by the load being too far towards the rear, especially if the trailer's axle is about mid-point on its body. Trailers need to be nose-heavy to track nice and true, and will preferably have their axle(s) behind mid-point. A general rule of thumb is for 10% of the trailer's total loaded mass to be on the towball.

Gaz
    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Thanks, but I was meaning sway in car rear end, sorry.
    Borgy

Standard NW GLX-R 3.2 Auto.........nothin to flash

Comment

Borgy, the trailer will cause the movement in the rear if it is not loaded properly. Trailers require 50 to 150kg towball downforce. A 7x5 can hold a metre of sand / soil and if it is damp that is over 1200kg. Evenly loaded you will have very little towball downforce, and 1200kg on a short wheelbase trailer gives a fair amount of pendulum effect.

I have some first hand experience with this one :
      http://athene.csu.edu.au/~psproule/patski/haines2.htm
      16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
      10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

here's another link showing a jacknifed trailer, this time a car trailer which had been loaded with the engine of the car at the rear of the trailer, ie an unbalanced trailer with probably very low ball weight.

http://picasaweb.google.com/grahcom/...90261644497138

As Pat Sproule said, it's the swaying trailer that makes the tow vehicle feel as though it's starting to sway. And in fact it is swaying, but not of its own accord.

Gaz
        2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Thnks for the tips, will try different loading next trip. The trailer was full of camping gear, tents, tarps, etc. I'll try and shove haevy stuff to front to give more drawbar load. Thanks again
          Borgy

Standard NW GLX-R 3.2 Auto.........nothin to flash

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X