NP Tyre Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP Tyre Wear

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Just taken a look at my rear tyres and have worn the inside edges through to the belts. They have cut out seriously on the inside 20 mm or so.

Towed a caravan (2100kg) with a weight distribution hitch about 2500 kms and the tyres looked fine before the trip. Just noticed them about 1500 kms after the trip a lucky seems to have caught them before a blow out.

The car was a little lower at the rear but could not put much more into the WDH - already had 5 links wound on and it was getting hard to lift over. I checked the total loads and was well within the total limits.

Anyone else experienced similar. About to change Tyres now from the Stock Factory Yokohama Geolanders - any ideas if a better tyre will help.

JC12456
    NP Pajero DiD Auto 2004

Have heard of it happening to a few people. I would suggest that it is not the fault of the tyre and you will likely stuff your new ones in the same fashion.

Couple of factors - rear end wheel allignment is likely out, and the factory rear springs in the rear can be a little soft and cause the rear to droop under the slightest load. Fit new rear springs and / or polyairs if you are going to tow regularly.

Pat
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Have to agree with pat.
      I tow an off road camper trailer & find that the outside of both front & rear are wearing out.
      It is time to have the wheel alignment checked again.

2011 NT. Now to transfer dual batteries, fridge slide, uhf & slider plates from previous NP.
      Gulf pop top outback caravan.Solar panels, off road hitch, bayonet fitting for outside cooking & yamaha EF2000.

Comment

If you cut the edge of the tyres in 2500km of towing, there's a problem. May have been worsened by the towing, but I doubt it would be the primary cause.

My NM got 80,000km out of its original Geolandars and there was quite a lot of towing included in that, a caravan weighing 2300-2400kg. With weight distributing hitch.

I agree with the suggestions that your alignment might be out, although whether that would lead to the rapid wear you describe I'm not sure. But it's a good starting point.

Gaz
        2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Had the same problem and was told it was the rear alligment only got 40,000 out of the first set off tyres .I have pollyairs fitted nom waiting to see what happens with new tyres

Comment

thanks

Thanks for all the advice - tyres were scalloped which points to rear end alignment and loading changing tyre contact angles.

Have landed it was a combination of heavy loads, tyres getting to end of their life - got 89 000 kms out of a 5 tyre rotation on the factory G039 Yokohama's, the rear end has sagged a little with old age and hence camber out, probably needed a little more load on the WDH and a set of Firestone Air Bags or Polyairs as a helping hand.

Anyway 4 new Yoko G051's on their way with a front and rear end wheel alignment so let's see how things pan out.

The sister car an identical Pajero with 30 000 kms that has towed the van about the same distance is not showing the tyre wear so hoping it was the hgiher kms that was the cause.

Thanks for all the advice and comments

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X