Winch for NP alloy bull bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch for NP alloy bull bar

Is it possible to fit a winch to an NP alloy bullbar in the traditional way (behind the bar) rather than with some kind of cradle attachment in front of the bar which would decrease the approach angle. I understand that with some vehicles this can be done by bolting a custom engineered metal plate to the chassis. According to other forums, NP Pajeros don't seem to lend themselves to these kind of engineering adjustments. Thanks and regards, John

Its not approach angle you should be worried about its that low departure angle that I always have problems with. With a little thought you can put the winch anywhere. The two frame horns on the front are stronger than most people think. I havent seen any problems as far as it getting weak at all and its held up great.
    03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Thank you, Icy. Is your winch bolted directly to the frame horns (I will have to find out what 'frame horns' are!) or is it attached to a specially-made bracket or plate which is bolted to the frame horns? Was your bumper bar modifed (aperature enlarged) to accomodate the winch? I appreciate that your winch is probably made for the US market, but out of interest what brand/model is it - just in case it is available in Oz? Thanks again. John

Comment

out of Interest icysyrup

What tyres are you running there. Look verygood.

Nick
        2005 PLATINUM EDITION 3.8 V6, COOPER ST'S LOVELL SPRINGS, BILSTEIN SHOCKS, ARB WINCH BAR, MAGNUM WINCH, LIGHTFORCE SPOTTIES,TJM BASH PLATES, SUMP GUARD, TRANSMISSION GUARD, DUAL BATTERY, 60 LTR TRAIL BLAZER FRIDGE

Comment

Darn it Nick. I got excited when I saw there was another response to my post, but it was you asking about Icy's bloody tyres! I have to agree with you though, the tyres look good. Hey Icy, winch question first please, tyres second.Cheers. John

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
            Thank you, Icy. Is your winch bolted directly to the frame horns (I will have to find out what 'frame horns' are!) or is it attached to a specially-made bracket or plate which is bolted to the frame horns? Was your bumper bar modifed (aperature enlarged) to accomodate the winch? I appreciate that your winch is probably made for the US market, but out of interest what brand/model is it - just in case it is available in Oz? Thanks again. John
            Ok...1st question...once you take the bumper off you will see the frame horns I am talking about. its what the ARB bars mount to and stuff as well. I took and welded the winch plate to them and then gussetted the plate in the rear underneath. Its held up well.

2nd Question....The bumper was only modified slightly. I just took it off and cut out the center grill insert where the winch is to fit it and then put it back over top. That part was pretty easy

3rd Question....The winch is the SE9000 Milemarker. It is slower than Molasses in January and was a lot more affordable than others and it works when I need it. If and when it wears out i will be getting a TMAX winch. I have synthetic rope on it as well.

4th Question....The tires are great tires...Pro Comp Xterrains 285/75/R16s. I have gotten quite a few highway miles out of them as well as offroad and I cant really say I have owned other MT's but I cant complain a bit about these.
            03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Thanks Icy for taking the time to write detailed responses. Cheers, John.

Comment

Dear Icy,

I love the way you put your winch. Very discrete but effective.
                I have the same car, so I would thank you in advance for some pictures from inside. Do you have these ?

Many greetings from Belgium.

Averhamme.
                Pajero 2006, 3.2 Did LWB. Tuned, Blocked EGR, Dual battery system, roof tent, Old Man Emu suspension, aluminium skid plates, 22 inch LED light bar. Iceland, Norway, Balkan, North Africa ...
                Some 480.000 km.

Comment

What kind of pictures are you looking for Averhamme, I have taken pictures of everything while it was being built step by step. If you want them I will post up a link for you. I had a hard time understanding what you exactly wanted. Just let me know.

Comment

Spud,
                    I think Tigerz11 makes a braket that bolts between the two chasis rails. This would effectivley what icysyrip has done.
                    Cheers,
                    Andrew.
                    Cheers,
                    Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                    Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

I also installed a TJM Alloy bullbar on a NP Pajero and am now struggling with the advice that I was given that there are no places to locate a rated recovery point at the front of the vehicle. Any advice on how and where I can fit rated recovery points on a 2003 NP petrol Pajero.

I was recently stuck on Fraser Island and there was only tie down points front and back so we used the towbar for a rear recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by LeighB View Post
                        I also installed a TJM Alloy bullbar on a NP Pajero and am now struggling with the advice that I was given that there are no places to locate a rated recovery point at the front of the vehicle. Any advice on how and where I can fit rated recovery points on a 2003 NP petrol Pajero.

I was recently stuck on Fraser Island and there was only tie down points front and back so we used the towbar for a rear recovery.
                        Hi mate,

The front two points are rated. There are a number of posts on the forum about it and a video of tests done by Mits engineers. I've used them in singular and both via a equaliser strap.

At the rear, the factory points are just tie down. If you have a Mits / Hayman Reece HD towbar fitted, it will have two rings as part of the towbar. I'm not sure if they are rated. I reckon its best to use a rated recovery point in the hitch receiver. Never use the towball, and i don't think the tow pin would take it either without the hiotch receiver to spread the load on the pin.
                        Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

If you don't like using the front points, try Outback Ideas, they may have replacement points.
                          IN the hitch, if you use just the pin, you need to be careful that you don't bend it. Real PITA to get out.
                          Cheers,
                          Andrew.
                          Cheers,
                          Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                          Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
                            Is it possible to fit a winch to an NP alloy bullbar in the traditional way (behind the bar) rather than with some kind of cradle attachment in front of the bar which would decrease the approach angle. I understand that with some vehicles this can be done by bolting a custom engineered metal plate to the chassis. According to other forums, NP Pajeros don't seem to lend themselves to these kind of engineering adjustments. Thanks and regards, John
                            Hi Spud,

see this post; this bloke has done it; just a winch cradle from TJM

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...?t=1529&page=3
                            Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

Originally posted by AJC View Post
                              Hi mate,

Never use the towball, and i don't think the tow pin would take it either without the hiotch receiver to spread the load on the pin.
                              whats wrong with the towball??
                              NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X