alarm from centre console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alarm from centre console

I was 4WDing in some fairly soft sand in November last year (in my 2005 NP), when an alarm/buzzer started going off, sounded like it was coming from the centre console. the vehicle is currently at a MM service centre, where they put the car on a dyno (to investigate why my trans is spraying trans fluid when I tow), and apparently they couldn't get it to work properly on dyno because traction control kept kicking in. And when the traction control kicked in, the alarm went off... the dealer is now saying the alarm is simply a traction control alarm, which goes off when the traction control kicks in, and is normal (although it hasn't happened for 4 years!).

so, a few questions...:
    - should traction control stop the car working properly on dyno?
    - any ideas what the alarm is?
    - any thoughts on spraying trans fluid... I suspected overheating, but was told that wasn't possible as the AT temp light would have come on....

Cheers

On pg 4-53 in my operation manual there is section on the buzzer.
    Basicly it is warning you that the brake system temps are high. The buzzer should sound intermittantly to warn you to do something about it. If the ASC light then also comes on traction contro is suspended until it cools down
    2005 NP Exceed DiD .TJM Alloy Bull Bar. Dual Battery
    TX3440 UHF. Airtec Snorkel and false floor. Intercooler and sump guard.

Comment

Are you sure the oil is from the tranny and not the diff?
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

They should not put an NP with MUTT on a 2WD dyno! Not unless they disable the traction control fully. It would have been trying to brake the rear wheels and the alarm is warning of an overheat / malfunction situation.
        16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
        10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

the oil sprays back from the trans all over the underside of the vehicle, onto whatever I tow....
          it sure smels like trans oil :P

Comment

Hi RovingTech, brake system temps are high!! This means the traction control system over works the brakes causing the fluid temp to overheat thus risking total brake failure? No wonder the designers had to build in a fail safe sensor to switch the traction control system off. This may explain reports of disc pad replacements at 25,000k on these models. Can't be doing the rotors any favors either! Couple this to the expensive repairs to these systems makes one question the actual benefit to the individual. Clearly there is financial benefit to the manufacturer and added marketing fluff for the dealer to dazzle us with. So it's all dollars to them. Is there proof it save lives? I don't know of any. I don't mean to get offside with anyone who has this gear. We will all be in the same boat eventually. It's reasonable to question these things. So correct me if I am wrong. Cheers
            99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

I agree with most of your comments....
              not sure how traction control works on most 4WDs, but I know it turns mine into a gutless piece of crap as soon as you hit anything remotely slippery/soft.
              Honestly, I'm embarrassed to take my car 4WDing.....

Comment

Chris,
                Sorry to hear you feel that way. I on the other hand take pride in the ability of the vehicle. We travelled with some people from the Eyre Peninsula and they took us to their sand spots on our way through. This is Landcruiser/Patrol country and they were impressed with the way it handled in the sand. Hopefully you get it all sorted out.
                NP Pajero, Dual Fuel, Cooper STs, 2" inch lift with airbags, snorkel, Pirhrana dual battery system to keep the beers in the Engel cold.

Comment

Hi chris, you said your NP "turns into a gutless piece of crap as soon as you hit anything remotely slippery/soft". I have just read a new post from BlinkyBill titled "When do you engage 4h,4hlc or 4hLlc?" on the Gen 4-2 Pajero list and thought of you. matthewfnorbert replied to BlinkyBill saying "just turn off stability control if on sand or very slippery/loose surfaces (so it does not get tricked and reduce power)". Is this relevant to your situation? I find it crazy that all drivers need to know when to turn on or off these smart systems be it on bitumen or not! Cheers.
                  99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

just got the car back from the dealer (again)...yes, apparently it was on a 2 wheel dyno, so the front wheels were stationary, and traction control was braking rear wheels :P
                    But, they did say the alarm came on relatively quickly, which I am a little concerned about.

Apparently my shocks are weak, brake pads are worn (again), and brake rotors are at minimum thickness.... not too happy, don't want to fork out for new shocks and rotors for a vehicle that is only 105,000km old (still gotta check the manual to see what I have to pay for and what is warranty...)

4play, used to like the car, until I had trans spray over anything I towed... been taking it to the dealer requesting fix for 3-4 years, with no action. Even logged trans temps while towing, which showed temps of 135ish. Took pics of oil spray, sent to MMAl, still no fix

Comment

Hi Chris,

Just my two bits worth. I suggest that maybe you have been misled on the traction control & stability control buisness. My NP has done heaps of sand work (including a heavily loaded crossing of the Simpson) and some decent hard core 4 wheeling. I always turn off the stability control now when doing heavy work as I soon learnt that it did retard the engine at the most inappropriate times, like when just reaching and scrambling over the crest of a dune. Once I remebered to do this it was fine.

One time in the Vic high country the alarm you speak of came on (had no idea what was happening and it was very off putting) but we pushed through it because it was more scary to stop on the slope we were on. I found out, via this forum, that its, as the others say, the traction control overheating the brake accumulator resevoir and it can be dangerous if you continue too far.

Not sure if I have explained this technically correctly however, I don't think you should be embarrassed to take the NP 4 wheeling.

Cheers
                      NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                        I agree with most of your comments....
                        not sure how traction control works on most 4WDs, but I know it turns mine into a gutless piece of crap as soon as you hit anything remotely slippery/soft.
                        Honestly, I'm embarrassed to take my car 4WDing.....
                        Traction control does not reduce power. ASC (Stability) does. Turn it off or drop it into 4LLc.
                        16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
                        10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Beeping Alarm from centre console

Ok - so I have read this thread and the same beeping alarm was triggered today:

While in 4LLc (the traction control light off was on) ascending a rather hefty sandy rutted hill like I have done never before, a loud beeping buzzer activated. While I was driving up the hill shaking and dipping into and out of the ruts, the ASC light (next to the ASC OFF) light came on continuously.

It beeped for about 20 seconds (Beep, beep, beep, beep and then beeeeeeeeeeeep and then nothing - no extra lights / icons came on). After the last beeeeeeeep it went silent and nothing further....at that stage I had reached the top of the hill.....

I have read the manual (page 4-53) and I understand how it works....however, the question now is, can I deactivate it to stop it from trying to apply the brakes? I was in 4LLc the whole time. I do not like the idea of overheating brakes....

On the lighter side - the Bushkinz suspension and bashplates transformed the car wonderfully - it is amazing how easy it was today as opposed to trying the same track before.

Josh.
                          Last edited by Josooowa; 07-11-10, 09:15 PM.
                          Josooowa
                          2019 NX GLS ARB Bar Billstein Lovell HD Combo
                          2004 3.8 NP Manual ARB Bar Billstein Lovell HD Combo (soon for sale...)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X