NS Petrol Dual Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Petrol Dual Batteries

The long saga has finally been completed and the Dual batteries are in and working.
    From the lack of replies regarding the Petrol NS and dual batteries it seems it is not yet a common project.

I have just finished the install tonight and am now enjoying several beers as congratulations on a job well done. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post for all to see.
    I will also post some costing and parts used on the project as I think it may end up cheaper to have someone else do the install. However I believe a job done by yourself is generally better than someone else doing it.

Cheers
    Jason.

well done Jason,

Looking forward to the pictures. What system and battery did you go for/use?

Also have you put any plugs in the rear of the wagon?

Cheers
    NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Comment

A late work finish today so no pics, but will try and get them online before the weekend.
      Ended up using a Century "Severe Service" Battery. Not AGM etc etc but a good battery at a great price. AGM would be nice but for my type of camping and use not really justified.

Battery Isolator is a Redarc SBI12.
      Battery Tray was from TJM (Piranha)
      Most Cabling and fuses, terminal blocks were purchased from a local Auto Electrician Wholesaler. Projecta make some nice battery terminals etc which I have used.

I ended up running 2 x 6mm (both +ve and -ve, rather than relying on chassis for the -ve path) feeds to the back of the car and installed 2 new plugs in the rear area. I also ran some additional feeds to rear of car to accomodate volt meters and lighting in the future.
      Still cant make a decision on which voltmeter to install. Cheap or good is the question. I can buy a single voltmeter for around $30-$40 or do you go the wow factor and buy a dual battery monitor/ amp/volt monitor for like $250.
      I am also considering rewiring the centre console plug to be a permanent supply from the aux battery.

The redarc works great basically isolating the batteries at around 12.4v every time.

Relocation of the Carbon canister still concerns me a bit due to heat build up etc, however the plan is to manufacture a heat shield to deflect some of the heat. Redarc has found a nice spot on the firewall passenger side which means all cabling is minimal.

Pics will be not far away.

Cheers
      Jason

Comment

There is a few pics showing engine bay etc etc.
        I hope to finish the whole thing off tomorrow night and will post a few more pics etc.

Jason.
        Attached Files

Comment

More Pics.

Jason.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about crappy quality of pics. I took them with a camera phone to get pics up sooner.Once all work has been done in rear with sockets etc I will take better pics and post.

I still think an auto elec would be cheaper however the DYI route allows you to do exactly what you want and also gives you knowledge of how it all works if it all goes crap outback and you have to try and get things fixed yourself.

Cheers
            Jason

Comment

Looking at the Syllabus for Auto Electricians in NSW, they are trained mainly on how to repair electricals, not how to design and install additions.

So don't think that any Auto Electricians will have experience in doing what you want.

Ideally look for one who has done the type of high current installations used for fridges, winches etc, not just a driving light or two.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Gday Crew

Just finished installing Dual Batteries in my NS paj.

I have used an ARB Dual Battery tray which went in quite well just had to lengthen a few lines but the hoses were supplied. All the holes lined up.
                I have used A redarc Solenoid with a bypass switch to jump off the second battery if for what ever reason the primary goes dead.
                Because ive got a petrol i have put the Aux Batt as the primary and the standard battery as the Aux.
                I have yet to run a line for my fridge to the rear so i pretty much have just spent $500 to charge a battery that never gets drained haha.

I actually used a spare bracket which was in the tray kit but is only used for the diesel model to mount the soleniod to the rear of the tray. everything worked out sweet.

Heres a few pics if you guys want to see the ARB tray
                Tray- $180 Batt- $160 Solenoid- $ 110.00 Bits and pieces-$30

ROGUE PAJ Daniel NS X SWB V6 Pajero ARB Bull Bar, IPF 800XS Spotties, GME TX3420 CB, Dual Batteries, Custom Roof Rack, ROH RTX 16" Rims, 265 75R16 BFGoodrich A/T, 35mm Dobinson coil lift

Comment

Nice job Daniel. Looks neat and tidy. Well done.

Comment

Daniel - there's a good reason that the Positive Battery Terminal is covered in red plastic - that point is totally unfused and if it's shorted to the body by a tool etc, then up to 1500 amps can flow.

This would be enough to weld it in place and make it glow red, followed by the battery exploding.

It's important that all positive terminals at the batteries and at the Solenoid are covered in strong insulation.
                    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Thanks for having your 2 bob. i will take it in to consideration and when that does happen i will let you know so you can say 'I told you so!'
                      Untill then im sure its a better job than anyone else would have dont to my car including MM or an Auto electrician.
                      ROGUE PAJ Daniel NS X SWB V6 Pajero ARB Bull Bar, IPF 800XS Spotties, GME TX3420 CB, Dual Batteries, Custom Roof Rack, ROH RTX 16" Rims, 265 75R16 BFGoodrich A/T, 35mm Dobinson coil lift

Comment

Hi Daniel,

Interesting ARB tray design, is it specified for the SWB only?

Cheers
                        Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

No im sure its for the NP, NS Petrol and Diesels either LWB or SWB

Comment

I agree daniel - nice job. Did you puch the lugs, solder tham or bash them down?
                            NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue Paj View Post
                              Thanks for having your 2 bob. i will take it in to consideration and when that does happen i will let you know so you can say 'I told you so!'
                              Untill then im sure its a better job than anyone else would have dont to my car including MM or an Auto electrician.

How silly of me - thinking that you'd appreciate some free professional advice on how a simple addition would eliminate a subtle but serious safety hazard.

It's clear you'd prefer to hear about the danger from an insurance assessor when he explains that they won't be paying out on your burnt-out vehicle, because a dangerous modification was made to the vehicle.

Now that I'm aware of your problem, I won't be wasting any more time trying to help.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X