Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 inch rims standard on NS

Guys,

am in the process of closing on a new NS, but concerned slightly re the rim diameter. I would like 16's or 17's on it, but due to the brake construction, the car comes with 18's and it appears nigh on impossible to find BFG AT's for this rim size.

What do we recommend as a good AT tyre on the 18's - or can 17's be retrofitted successfully?

Mark

yes you can put the 17 inch wheels that come on the GLX NS onto the models that come with 18s standard. 16's won't fit though as they won't go over the front brake rotors.
    NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Yes you can put 17's on the NS.

I made it part of the deal that I would only buy the car if the dealer sold it to me with 17" rims. I am not sure what they are doing but I think they are swapping wheels with a base model NS.
      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
      1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

When I went into the dealership, we took a standard NP 17" rim off and tried it on the NS front left. The clearance between the brake assy and the wheel weights was slim to say the least and there was concern from the engineer that if a stone got between the brake housing and the inner rim that damage could occur. Yes the 17" fits, but at what risk. Also, they expressed concern that there might be a problem with insurance companies allowing the car to be driven with a smaller rim than what the car is actually delivered.

Have either of you had any issues with stones getting caught around the inner rim or any other debris causing issues with the reduced clearance?

I still have an option on keeping my 17" from the NP, but I am not sure that the guys at the garage would be too keen on it!

M

Comment

Mark
          This issue has been the subject of earlier threads. I believe the GLX and Exceed can take 17"(see tyre plate on car) but should check insurance. I stuck with 18" and put on Goodyear Silent Armours(one of the few decent A/T tyres in Aus in 265/60/18 at the moment) which I have found great both on and offroad - but expensive in that size!
          Yellowfin
          NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
          Toyota LC200 TD V8
          - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

The above posts may confuse some people. Just to clarify:

All NS SWB models will take 16 inch wheels no problem.

All NS LWB models will take 17 inch wheels no problem, they all have the same brakes and 17 inch is standard on GLX. 16 inch wheels will not fit.

The sizes are 265/60R18 and 265/65R17. You can fit either to the Paj with no warranty or insurance issues. For different sizes from the above you would have to consult the relevant people.

End that.
            Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

. . . and the Tyre Placard on the NS Exceed LWB also specifies both 17" and 18" tyres.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Check out my cars specs, i think if you are considering serious off road driving then 17 " rims are a must as they give you the option on so many more tyres.
                Reagrds from Big Col
                NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

This final post is both a conclusion (for me) and a recommendation...

I went back to the dealership and have been discussing this with them. The sales consultant I am working with is currently driving an NS GLX with 17" rims and only 7k's on the tyres. He offered to swap over his 17" rims and tyres for the new 18"s on the NS Exceed.

I obviously jumped at the chance! Looks like I can get a set of BFG's on there now without any problem...

So - I can recommend Rex Gorrell Mitsubishi in Geelong without any hesitation!It's nice when a plan comes together...

M

Comment

edwar64896, its good to hear that you found a car yard willing to help you, and not like the majority out there just trying to screw you.

Good work
                    * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
                    * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
                    * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
                    * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
                    * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
                    * Pajero now sold!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X