Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartbar on NS pics

G'day,

I've just got the smartbar fitted (mainly for the roo's around where I live.) For those new to the Smartbar concept - they are moulded plastic bar which absorb the impact and bounce back into shape - as long as what you hit isn't too big of course. A mate of mine has an alloy bar and has hit two roos and has two dents, which wouldn't happen with a Smartbar. They are also meant to be more pedestrian friendly which is why the police are getting them fitted. Mine cost $1257 + fitting of about $120.
    Also got 170mm lightforce driving lights for better vision at night, and took the opportunity to get fogs fitted (as the GLX doesn't come with them). Also got the GME TX3440 and aerials for this and the nextG phone fitted to the bar.

All in all looks great. Mikens

NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Looks like they have improved the air intake on the lower side of the bar. On the NMNP the number plate blocks most of the lower intake area (I shifted my number plate up and removed the dealer's plastic surround)
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

If you're interested in coulor-matching, you can also get the NS Smartbar moulded in Grey or White plastic.
      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Mikens, can you please post some close-up photos of where the flare and guard was cut off to fit the Smartbar.
        Thanks,
        Sandgroper.
        PS: I think the black Smartbar looks really good!
        NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

Mikens, while you are doing the close up shots, can you show how you have attached your antennas?
          When i had the NP the smart bar was an option i looked at only the antenna and spot light mounting were a concern.

Regards,

Jason
          Jason.

Eastern Burbs of Melb

100 Series Land Cruiser

"Sahara"

Comment

Here are some more close up shots.

My observations are:
            - The cut off of the flare guard and bumber is a little rough (workmanship-wise) and could have been a bit better (I'm a details person). But you only really notice it on close inspection so its ok. I hope the black plastic tape they have used will go the distance.
            - I've also got a shot of the wheel arch where the black plastic is attached to the end of the smartbar - this too is a bit rough - but it is under the wheelarch so its ok, perhaps they need an extra bit of trim to tidy it up.
            - There are (4 pairs of) metal threads moulded into the plastic to fit the aerial brackets.
            All in all despite the little details I'm pretty happy with the looks of it. I still need to road test it on some rougher roads to check for rattles etc.
            Mike
            NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

Mikens, thanks for the photos. The cut is a little rough, but like you said only up close. Where the black plastic under the arch attaches to the bar is done the same way as my NM, you won't notice it after a while.
              I like the look of the Pajero Smartbars and I will fit one to the NS that we will buy next month.
              Sandgroper.
              NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

The bar looks good to me.

Was having a chat with someone yesterday and he thought that it was a shocker.

I guess beauty (or ugliness! ) is in the eye of the beholder!

Comment

Can I ask, what brand of sidesteps you have on your GLX and could you post a closer pic of them pls?
                  NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

I'm disapponted that TeamPoly have designd the NS Smartbar so that they have to cut the ends off the original bumper to fit the Smartbar.

I'll be fitting the Smartbar myself, so that I can use a bit of rubber to fill this gap, keeping the original bumper undamaged, to refit when selling the car.
                    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Mike DiD, I think the MM alloy bar has a specially moulded rubber/plastic? infill so the bumper is not cut. I wonder if that will fit and if it can be bought separately?
                      Sandgroper.

Comment

Wilmo - The sidesteps are MMA (at first I thought they looked a bit cheap and nasty as I was expecting them to be the same as those on the VRX and Exceed which are integrated. Don't mind them now though. I think they cost about $700 when I got the car)

Mike DiD - Agreed about having to cut up a perfectly good bumper. Its a bit of a waste. I was sort of lucky because I could use the (damaged) spare one I kept after hitting that roo a couple of months back. So I now have a perfectly good spare bumper. As you suggest, they could have just had moulded this infill as part of the bar. You will still have to cut off the flares though and replace down the track if you remove the bar. (I have a spare slightly damaged RHS one, thanks to that roo again!!).
                        Mike

Comment

I just watched the demo video clip on the smart bar web site.
                          Looks pretty impressive!

i will defiantly consider it when the time comes.
                          * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
                          * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
                          * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
                          * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
                          * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
                          * Pajero now sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandgroper View Post
                            Mike DiD, I think the MM alloy bar has a specially moulded rubber/plastic? infill so the bumper is not cut. I wonder if that will fit and if it can be bought separately?
                            Sandgroper.
                            I wonder who makes the MM bar ? TJM and ARB have their own for sale.

Comment

had a call from the smartbar dealer here today, i wanted a winch bar and they said that they can't get one for 4 weeks

But they can get me a non winch one.

So now the hard choice!
                              i dont have a winch and wont buy one in the near future, but you always have the option.

Anyway give me something to think about tonight now.
                              * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
                              * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
                              * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
                              * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
                              * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
                              * Pajero now sold!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X